English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 February 2024, 22:49   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Volunteers needed for Air Combat missions

Hi all. I was thinking I'd like to go back to some Amiga Flight-sims that I never fully explored. Then I thought it would be fun if several of us gave it a go and shared experiences - like we used to back on the comp.sys.amiga.games newsgroup (newsgroups, remember those?).

All games have a network option if you discuss them afterwards on the internet, right? :-)

*EDIT*
To be clear, that "network" reference was supposed to be humorous, I'm just talking about people playing the game by themselves, in the normal way, and then discussing here on EAB.

I appreciate it might just be me that thinks this is a good idea, which is fine, but if you fancy it, follow-up with a post and we'll see where it goes.

Possible games I had in mind were:

Tornado

Reach For the Skies

Flight of the Intruder

Gunship 2000

Last edited by Angus; 29 February 2024 at 10:51.
Old 29 February 2024, 01:19   #2
copse

You could maybe play them on Amiga Live on Twitch, that's a live video network type option?

https://www.twitch.tv/amigalive
Old 29 February 2024, 01:43   #3
dreadnought

Nice idea - I would definitely be up for that, if I wasn't being too busy with IRL stuff. Maybe future-wise...

EDIT: wait, you mean just playing and talking about them later, not actual online multiplayer? In that case maybe I could give some of them a short go at least. I love flight sims and they definitely deserve more modern love, what with being one of the dominant genres back then.
Old 29 February 2024, 10:56   #4
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Nice idea - I would definitely be up for that, if I wasn't being too busy with IRL stuff. Maybe future-wise...

EDIT: wait, you mean just playing and talking about them later, not actual online multiplayer? In that case maybe I could give some of them a short go at least. I love flight sims and they definitely deserve more modern love, what with being one of the dominant genres back then.

Yes, sorry - I wasn't very clear. Edited now. I meant each of us playing the game on our own in the normal way, and then discussing experiences in an ongoing thread on EAB.
Old 29 February 2024, 10:57   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
You could maybe play them on Amiga Live on Twitch

No, that's not me. I don't have the personality for that. :-)
Old 01 March 2024, 09:40   #6
Daedalus

I know you were joking, but there's at least one flight sim that can be played over a serial link - F16 Falcon I think.
Old 01 March 2024, 10:09   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Here's a list of those we know of: https://amiga.abime.net/games/list/?...feature-id=100
Old 01 March 2024, 10:19   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I don't have the personality for that. :-)
That's not true.

Perhaps rope in a retro Twitch celebrity to play Amiga/Atari Flight Sims e.g. https://www.twitch.tv/theoldmanthatgames/about
Old 01 March 2024, 10:20   #9
dreadnought

Air Warrior was supposed to be "world's first online multiplayer, multiplatform air/land combat simulator". It'd be pretty cool if somebody could hack it so online MP would be still possible without dialing the non-existent AOL or some such.
Old 01 March 2024, 10:42   #10
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Ah yes, I was mixing up F16 Combat Pilot and Falcon. I've never played it, but it looks like Falcon also has multiplayer over serial but didn't show up in your search, despite having the properties listed... https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/falcon
Old 01 March 2024, 11:16   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Ah yes, I was mixing up F16 Combat Pilot and Falcon. I've never played it, but it looks like Falcon also has multiplayer over serial but didn't show up in your search, despite having the properties listed... https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/falcon
That's odd. I'll ask Cody to have a look at why it's not in the list. Thank you for reporting it.
Old 01 March 2024, 11:30   #12
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post

Falcon does. I remember going away on a video job, and my colleague, who was familiar with the digs brought a cable that would stretch to whatever rooms we were put in. (They dropped it for the second mission disk for some reason.) It also warns you if your adversay is cheating by using the autopilot option. :-)

PowerMonger also provided a lot of link-up fun.
Old 01 March 2024, 11:59   #13
Captain_ Kal

Gunship 2000, has a game stopping bug, after you take control of a full platoon!! Every guided/unguided weapon misses, and you can only use the machined gun!

Up to that point though, I found it way better than the PC Version!! In the PC version, even at the lowest difficulty, enemy missiles hit you every time!!!! And counter measures are useless!! The Amiga versions also sounds better!!
Old 01 March 2024, 12:04   #14
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_ Kal View Post
Gunship 2000, has a game stopping bug, after you take control of a full platoon!! Every guided/unguided weapon misses, and you can only use the machined gun!

Up to that point though, I found it way better than the PC Version!! In the PC version, even at the lowest difficulty, enemy missiles hit you every time!!!! And counter measures are useless!! The Amiga versions also sounds better!!
That has been patched https://aminet.net/package/game/patch/gs2000AGAfix
Old 01 March 2024, 16:27   #15
Captain_ Kal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
I think this patch crashes the WDLoad version of the game. When I end a mission (alt + e), it crashes to OS (WinUAE).
Old 02 March 2024, 01:12   #16
Aardvark

Quote:
I think this patch crashes the WDLoad version of the game. When I end a mission (alt + e), it crashes to OS (WinUAE).
JOTD can probably integrate it to the WHDLoad patch if someone reports it on Mantis http://mantis.whdload.de/main_page.php
Do you have a save game file for reproducing the bug?
Old 02 March 2024, 11:21   #17
Captain_ Kal

Quote:
JOTD can probably integrate it to the WHDLoad patch if someone reports it on Mantis http://mantis.whdload.de/main_page.php
Do you have a save game file for reproducing the bug?
A Save State !! And I can also find a save game. I just do not know the saved games location!!
Old 02 March 2024, 12:41   #18
Aardvark

Quote:
A Save State !! And I can also find a save game. I just do not know the saved games location!!
Everything is saved in "roster.dat", but I'm not getting any crash after ending the mission. Did you start the game normally or from a save state?
Old 02 March 2024, 18:59   #19
Captain_ Kal

Quote:
Everything is saved in "roster.dat", but I'm not getting any crash after ending the mission. Did you start the game normally or from a save state?
Both!! It crashed after finishing a 45 minutes mission!!!! I might replay the ECS version since, this bug affected the AGA/CD32 version!!
Old 02 March 2024, 20:03   #20
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
No, that's not me. I don't have the personality for that. :-)
To be clear, as I understand it Amiga Live is an existing Twitch channel where you use the Amiga Live client and play a game while other people watch the game. They do not see you or hear you. However you can type in the chat with the people watching. It seems a reasonably popular and positive community.

This is in contrast to what I assume you assumed I meant, creating your own channel and playing the games live. This I was not suggesting, but if you're playing the game and your internet connection is usable it's very easy if you're using WinUAE.