English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 February 2024, 20:58   #41
Megalomaniac

Interesting how some of us have chosen the most technically stunning relatively early games that went beyond what the other systems could do (Beast, Cinemaware stuff, F-A/18, Sodan). However, some have chosen the later more characterful gameplay driven stuff, mostly released after the Amiga was no longer the very best system available. Often it's stuff that couldn't've originated on the more staid, corporate PC or console scenes, even if a lot of it was converted there (Lemmings, Chaos Engine, Cannon Fodder, Worms). I lean a bit more in the latter direction, as it happens, though obviously the Amiga only thrived enough to be the right platform to launch the latter four because of how many Amigas were bought because the first four.

I find it noticeable that most of the highest rated sim/adventure/strategy games on LemonAmiga were released after PCs had gone beyond the raw power of a stock A500, and many of the highest-rated platformers/racers/shooters etc were released after the SNES, which could beat the A500 in many areas. I know for me as a relative latecomer, what made the Amiga was that it was such great value considering how many different things it could do (best for creativity and good for productivity too), with cheaper games than PCs and especially consoles (even before you consider budget re-releases, PD and coverdisks, all largely non-existent on consoles and rarer on PCs back then). It was the last of its kind, as a home computer that could straddle the strengths of PCs and consoles.
Old 07 February 2024, 21:06   #42
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Heimdall
Premiere
Chuck Rock 2
Wonder Dog
Blastar

C'mon guys
Old 07 February 2024, 21:23   #43
AestheticDebris

Lemmings and Monkey Island always meant Amiga to me, and It Came From The Desert is definitely a good shout.

But it really has to be Shadow of The Beast. Seeing that running in stores probably sold more Amiga's than anything else, even if it wasn't actually the best game.
Old 07 February 2024, 21:42   #44
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Heimdall
Premiere
Chuck Rock 2
Wonder Dog
Blastar

C'mon guys
Am I detecting a certain theme there
Old 07 February 2024, 21:59   #45
Amigajay

Quote:
Heimdall
Premiere
Chuck Rock 2
Wonder Dog
Blastar

C'mon guys
Nah, Wonder Dog will always be associated with the Wondermega!

Btw you ironically missed off probably the best known Amiga game the original Chuck Rock!
Old 07 February 2024, 22:15   #46
Seiya

Ruff 'n' Tumble
Old 07 February 2024, 22:15   #47
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Kick Off 2 for me.
Old 07 February 2024, 22:33   #48
demoniac

Quote:
Heimdall
Premiere
Chuck Rock 2
Wonder Dog
Blastar

C'mon guys
No Airmania! and Wolfchild?
Old 07 February 2024, 22:52   #49
empardopo

Rick Dangerous
Kick off
Sensible soccer
Cannon fodder
Shadow of the beast
Turrican
Lotus Spirit

Enviado desde mi 2306EPN60G mediante Tapatalk
Old 07 February 2024, 22:57   #50
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by empardopo View Post
Rick Dangerous
Kick off
Sensible soccer
Cannon fodder
Shadow of the beast
Turrican
Lotus Spirit

Enviado desde mi 2306EPN60G mediante Tapatalk
Thought tapatalk signatures were against the site rules?
Old 07 February 2024, 23:56   #51
van_dammesque

Lots of good suggestions, I'll add Robocod, xenon 2, speedball 2, magic pockets and SWIV. Only personally like the 1st game, a lot of 'hoo haa' for the others at the time though.
Old 08 February 2024, 10:10   #52
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Shadow of the Beast.

That game incorporates everything that's Amiga'ish for me.

And I don't even like it...
Old 08 February 2024, 13:11   #53
appiah4

A game that singlehandedly represents Amiga gaming should have:

- Graphical WOW factor
- Amazing sound
- Technical wizardry
- Addictive gameplay

Of the dozens of games going through my head, through this filter, I am left with the following, but I can not pick among them:

Cannon Fodder
Chaos Engine
Turrican II
Old 08 February 2024, 14:53   #54
CCCP alert

Amiga at one point was £200 more than the ST at £299.99 or less via Silica Shop so I expected games to be up to the standard for my extra money invested.

Everyone has their own take on it naturally, who wouldn't be happy with Amiga medium quality game if your last computer was an MSX in the UK (MSX tape games in the EU were pretty much all Speccy port jobs rather than the Coleco looking expensive but awesome Japanese games on cart).

But I think Sodan first, then quickly followed up with Beast 1, this was a case of 'now you see why the Amiga 500 costs £400' and Marble Madness and Defender of the Crown etc for "I hope the Amiga 1000 comes down in price A LOT' etc amongst my group of friends with various home computers.

I didn't mind the ST I had, it could do some genres better than my C64 (inc software samples like on Dungeon Master and Gauntlet 1) but I specifically bought an Amiga based on the specs hoping games of the quality of Salamander etc would turn up on it done to the same quality as Marble Madness conversion. Guess that's why I mostly remember the games that I remember as being technically stunning and 'arcade quality' the most. Obviously it's different for all of us, not everybody spent weekends in the arcades, not everybody had the relatively expensive options as our first home computers. Thank god my VIC-20 blew up and I got a C64 within 2 months because they had no VIC20 starter pack bundles to replace mine with lol my poor cousin's VIC did not blow up and he had a VIC20 up until mid 1985 I think. He got an Amiga after a C64 like me too so we kinda liked the same games because we liked C64 games like Delta/Uridium/Terra Cresta etc which were rock hard difficulty but super slick and smooth to play.
Old 08 February 2024, 22:02   #55
rare_j
Zone Friend

Everyone I know who had an Amiga (before I had mine) was playing Kick Off 2, Championship Manager 2, Turrican 2, Speedball 2, Supercars 2, Xenon 2... Hmm lot of 2's there.
Old 09 February 2024, 22:32   #56
NorthWay

I think it is a bit 'funny' how one of the first games that was paraded as showing how amazing the Amiga was is being mostly overlooked: Marble Madness.
It is one of the games that I feel was the "killer application" for the Amiga, at least in the early A1000 days. A gem from the height of Atari Games' reign.

However, if there is one game (type) I would go back and play again (and again) and that I feel the Amiga gave to the world then I would pick the overhead pinball games like Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions and Slamtilt. Btw, those can suffer pretty badly with emulators and non-CRTs; you can feel how wrong the lag is when the flippers don't react like you expect.
Old 09 February 2024, 22:38   #57
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Walker and Top Banana
Old 09 February 2024, 22:40   #58
Bren McGuire

if you mean in a "we are trying to be like a console but failing horribly and will be out of business in a year" kind of way then i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Superfrog
Old 09 February 2024, 23:37   #59
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I have to concur with Shadow of the Beast, ignore whether it was any good or not, but most people that saw it and heard it in action in 1989 were awestruck by it.

Here was the tangible proof that the Amiga cost more than the ST for a reason, a reason you could articulate to parents and friends by pointing at it!

I came from the 8bit BBC, via a 2 month distraction with an ST, you cannot believe what a transformative experience it was to go from that to the Amiga.

Heres how I can easily put it into pictures.

Theres a BBC game called Strykers Run Part 2: Codename Droid, released in 1987, pretty good game on the old Beeb, but the most telling thing about it, is who was part of the duo who wrote it.

Martin Edmondson was part of that duo........ 2 years later he would be part of a new duo and release Shadow of the Beast.

Such a huge jump in terms of what a home computer could do.
Old 10 February 2024, 07:22   #60
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
if you mean in a "we are trying to be like a console but failing horribly and will be out of business in a year" kind of way then i agree
Frankly, no. It is good game overall, there is much worse than that one.
Platform games are representative of the miggy, there are so many of them, and this one is well known among them.
But people here seem to be wanting to elect the best game instead of the most representative...