English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 March 2005, 19:51   #1
max999

Join me and bring back SOTB!

It's been 13 years. 13 whole years since SOTB3. A remake is long overdue, so i made a petition. http://www.petitiononline.com/jkfdy894/petition.html

Old 22 March 2005, 21:28   #2
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by max999
It's been 13 years. 13 whole years since SOTB3. A remake is long overdue, so i made a petition. http://www.petitiononline.com/jkfdy894/petition.html
Talking to a wall has a higher chance of success than online petitions
Old 22 March 2005, 23:13   #3
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
nah, they were nice looking, but the game itself wasn't that good
Old 23 March 2005, 00:02   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I've got to disagree there Kombatty - i have some pretty nice nostalgic memories concerning good old SotB3
Yet, like Npl said, there's no use for such a petition - not online, not written on paper, not advertised in the television ... it won't change anything
Old 23 March 2005, 01:58   #5
StarEye
Zone Friend

Well, hasn't Martin Edmundo left Reflections now, after the Driv3r fiasco? Thought I read that somewhere. Martin Edmundo was one of the main programmers/producer/coder/something on SOTB, wasn't he?
Old 23 March 2005, 02:19   #6
max999

meh. there are a lot of people out there who loved it, pretty much every amiga gamer i know loves it, some even call it their favorite amiga game. i pretty much grew up playing an amiga, and everyone i knew loved the game. i know the online petition thing probably won't work, but it's worth a shot.

check this out: http://gameboy.ign.com/objects/005/005852.html

they actually did it before. wonder how sales went...

Last edited by max999; 23 March 2005 at 02:24. Reason: found something interesting

Old 23 March 2005, 03:30   #7
Turbo2Xs
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo2Xs
Heres my $0.02. SOTB was great for its technical feats. How many people say that it was a great game? I don't know many. Yes, we marveled at the delicious graphics and sumptious sound but that was all. And these day - I tell you - nothing! impresses the modern gamer anymore.

Its all about the magic, and sadly that is gone from modern gaming. If I'd have seen Doom3 7 years ago I'd be like . Now I'm like "pretty good, but darn I spent $2,500 for this?"

I don't see what technical feats they could do these days to impress - especially if it followed the same formula (hard as nails - makes you want to punch your screen while plotting way to pummel the programmers)

Thats my bit.
Old 23 March 2005, 04:57   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I really have to admit (as much as SOTB was one of the first and only games I played on the amiga) that SOTB was so dull. It has dull gameplay and really fails to impress me on any level other than the initial gfx level.

Sorry! NO REMAKE FROM ME!
Old 23 March 2005, 05:09   #9
Turbo2Xs
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo2Xs
Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I really have to admit (as much as SOTB was one of the first and only games I played on the amiga) that SOTB was so dull. It has dull gameplay and really fails to impress me on any level other than the initial gfx level.

Sorry! NO REMAKE FROM ME!

What about the music?! That didn't impress you?
Old 23 March 2005, 10:05   #10
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

SOTB was one of the games that really blew me away when I first saw it on my new Amiga but the fact I didnt play it for very long says it all.

I used to load it up regularly (still do) just for the music which is amazingly atmospheric and haunting.

Turbo made a good point that nothing impresses anymore. I think if someone showed me a game with actual photo realistic graphics I wouldnt be amazed as I was back when I first saw Beast.

Even if they remade it it would have very little to do with the original anyway except in name.
Old 23 March 2005, 11:35   #11
JudasEZT

I remember Psygnosis announced a new SOTB for PS1, when PS1 ruled the world.
At least thats what told an spanish magazine. That was when Formula1-98, I guess.
Old 23 March 2005, 14:50   #12
Npl

SOTB1 & 2 had horrible Gameplay. Not to mention you wouldnt survive a few minutes without cheating.
SOTB3 was good in any regards, still I dont think a remake would work today( no 1:1 remake and everything else would just be a different game), just let the dead rest in honor.
Old 23 March 2005, 15:10   #13
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Only SOB3 stood out for me.....Loved the traps and puzzles very Indiana Jones

But as stated above would it work today ??
Personally if i had to vote for the ultimate platform game to have a remake it would have to be "FlashBack"

( Although they did do the sequel "Fade to Black" for PC )
Old 23 March 2005, 18:04   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo2Xs
Heres my $0.02. SOTB was great for its technical feats.
Exactly. SOTB today makes no sense, there's nothing you can do to make you go WOW like with it.
Nowadays, only REAL improvements one can make to a game are design wise... Original, playable games are what surprise me owadays, since evrything you see it's the same shit rehashed.
Old 23 March 2005, 23:08   #15
oldpx

Not exactly. He's talking about beast 3, not the original BUT great links so thanks.

Old 23 March 2005, 23:11   #16
oldpx

@Kodoichi
The GBA beast link leads to a corrupt zip file. Have you, by any chance downloaded it when it was working and can put it to the zone?

edit: ok I remember this one, don't bother searching. it's in the GARP set.

Last edited by oldpx; 23 March 2005 at 23:30.

Old 24 March 2005, 01:02   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Shadow Of The Beast 3 is a great game, I'd like to see a remake, I'd certainly give it a go. It was the only decent game of the series in my h'opinion.
Old 25 March 2005, 11:52   #18
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

I don't think I ever played the 3rd installment of the Beast! Probably because the first 2 games in the series were rock hard!! Though the graphics and sound were amazing at the time and I remember when my mates came around I'd whack this on & Defender of the crown for them to see! They were awe struck!
Music in my opinion is still really good today.

I agree with everyone else, petitions get you nowhere I'm afraid.

I cant think of many games from the Amiga days that have been remade to be honest with you, Prince of Persia is the only one that really comes to mind.
Old 10 April 2005, 13:02   #19
Hybris

remake

any remake of shadow of the beast would have to start from scratch gameplay wise.

Personally i think the best thing about SOTB was the ambience and style. The whole psygnosis / roger dean thing was a big influence on the amiga scene and games of the time. Dave Whittakers music in the original was also important in setting the mood, and i still think the original sotb was some of his best work.

I've thought for a while that a 3d action rpg in the mold of the zelda games would make for a good shadow of the beast game. One obvious path is to do something along the lines of fable, where you can pick an evil or good path, with you becoming more like the beast or more human based on your choices.

visually the game should look like walking around inside a psygnosis box cover.

Presumably SCEE still has the rights to it all, as well as all the other psygnosis properties. It would make a nice PS3 title