English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 July 2021, 21:15   #861
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK/Altair View Post
So, everybody is eager to see some new stuff... but when I specifically ask for help (above) in watching the almost final versions of the next video, no one turns up.
I don't quite get it.
I didn't felt worthy

But what a perfect episode. The new graphics look all amazing. The artists have done a wonderful job. The second level you made to showcase the new assets and enemies has a good vibe to it. The ceilings and open sky areas make it feel like exploring an alien temple complex or sorts. Really nice!

And what was that teaser at the beginning of the video????

Also @Tsak, the easter egg on the door is in the logo right? It looks familiar....
Old 23 July 2021, 21:18   #862
vulture

Who could've ever believed this was achievable on a mere A500?
Pure and utter epicness!!!
Old 23 July 2021, 21:28   #863
rothers

So was that a little sneak peak near the start of working stairs?

It's amazing, and I think running this on an old 14" colour TV with my Amiga will look fantastic. For some reason that's how I want to play this. I want to finally get what we didn't get back in 1993.
Old 23 July 2021, 22:31   #864
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
One thing I didn't understand, is when the Pixel Glass mentioned BG gradient
That's Dennis aka PixelShade. Too many pixels, he he

Quote:
does that gradient move at same speed as cloud or a little slower? If it's a little slower, then I think it should be way more slow, because parallax is almost invisible now.
There is no parallax, both gradient and cloud are in the same pic. I know, would be cool if we had this in 2 layers and there was parallax but it's not a priority. Then again never say never with this project

Quote:
Also.. the cloud itself... I like it... but it looks like it's observed from above, not bellow... and also... wouldn't it make more sense if the cloud(s) are in the very top of the image, and horizon gradient bellow, and not the other way around?
No, in real life similar clouds often are exactly like that. It was just yesterday I was showing my son an array of puffy, big clouds positioned exactly as Dennis did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
I didn't felt worthy
Also @Tsak, the easter egg on the door is in the logo right? It looks familiar....
Yup, it's in the logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
Maybe

Last edited by Tsak; 23 July 2021 at 23:33.
Old 23 July 2021, 22:44   #865
17BitRetro

This is just amazing really. I've been following all the videos and this latest update just looks eye-poppingly amazing! Oh and that sub/half pixel scaling..

I can totally feel the effort put into this. Great job!
Old 23 July 2021, 22:44   #866
modrobert
old bearded fool

The game is taking shape, it looks incredible with the new graphics, and as pointed out several times; hard to believe this is for A500.

I really like the format of the video as it explains the development process so well.

Last edited by modrobert; 24 July 2021 at 06:32.
Old 23 July 2021, 23:13   #867
ESC
Bad Banana

Great work as usual guys, the only issue I have is with the sky, the cloud is a bit to big for my taste, I'd rather have more smaller clouds than one big one but maybe it'll grow on me.

I mean, the sky looks great and it's nice work but it kind of looks a bit off having it like that. I really don't mean to be overly critical, it's great work all of you are doing.
Old 23 July 2021, 23:16   #868
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
Great work as usual guys, the only issue I have is with the sky, the cloud is a bit to big for my taste, I'd rather have more smaller clouds than one big one but maybe it'll grow on me.

I mean, the sky looks great and it's nice work but it kind of looks a bit off having it like that. I really don't mean to be overly critical, it's great work all of you are doing.
No worries, all feedback is highly appreciated!
Old 24 July 2021, 00:00   #869
KK/Altair

Quote:
Well, the reason why I decided not to, is because I am interested in every single part of creation of the game, therefore I probably wouldn't advice to cut-out anything, and therefore I would be a bad judge on the subject.
That's not the point.
The thing is, when I render a video, it's best to rewatch it all from start to finish to hunt down any issues that are potential roadblocks.
And it's quite time consuming to rewatch a 30-minute video every time.

I only meant final checks. All the editing is already done.
And I never cut out material once it's there.

Quote:
After KK intervention, does that gradient move at same speed as cloud or a little slower? If it's a little slower, then I think it should be way more slow, because parallax is almost invisible now.
There is no parallax. That's why Dennis didn't go with the back clouds already.

Quote:
I didn't felt worthy
You are interested in this project and willing to talk here about it, therefore you are.

Quote:
Who could've ever believed this was achievable on a mere A500?
Me neither. Remember that I started with a Wolf3D engine in Wildcat. The rest is just a neverending improvement upon that.

Quote:
Only prototyped in the tool right now. So it's a long way to go, but we'll get there.
Old 24 July 2021, 03:21   #870
kriz

It looks so cool, amazing work and progression is crazy!! You rock guys!!
Old 24 July 2021, 07:27   #871
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Eek

I have to get a crowbar, because my jaws are permanently attached to the floor after watching the development video series
Old 24 July 2021, 07:58   #872
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
There is no parallax, both gradient and cloud are in the same pic.
Then, IMHO, Pixel Shade's initial idea with clear gradient is better then KK's adjustment, because with clear gradient (without noise), it would indeed look like gradient is static, therefore, giving the illusion of parallax.

And I have to agreed with ESC here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
the cloud is a bit to big for my taste, I'd rather have more smaller clouds than one big one but maybe it'll grow on me.
Old 24 July 2021, 08:04   #873
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK/Altair View Post
That's not the point.
The thing is, when I render a video, it's best to rewatch it all from start to finish to hunt down any issues that are potential roadblocks.
And it's quite time consuming to rewatch a 30-minute video every time.
Ahh.. I didn't realized that this is what you asked... sorry about that...
Count me in, next time.
Old 24 July 2021, 08:09   #874
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Yup, it's in the logo
https://wearaltair.com/
Old 24 July 2021, 08:36   #875
Konrad

This looks really amazing. I would've never thought that a game with that quality could run on an Amiga.
Great work on engine and graphics!

I really do like the clouds as they are. I understand what peope mean with the clouds being too big, as it seems that the map is close to them, like a base in the skies.
But this way you can put alot of details in them, and I really like the look. Leave them as they are.

I would let them move slower, though. Or not at all, as this would better give the impression that they are far away.
Old 24 July 2021, 10:20   #876
trixster
Guru Meditating

Latest video is really quite remarkable. Amazing work by all you guys!
Old 24 July 2021, 10:37   #877
manossg

This is amazing progress, congratulations to everybody involved!
Old 24 July 2021, 11:19   #878
jb2815

This is really great! Will the demo include the Dreadtool to play around with creating maps?
Old 24 July 2021, 11:30   #879
eXeler0

Amazing work & great video. Thanx for your hard work, the advanced ceiling (the one above the "alien") looks more advanced than I thought we'd see in this engine and the redone textures really elevate it to a new level.
Some feedback then, sky texture looks nice and (probably pretty easy to swap for different levels) i wonder if the high scroll speed is the best. Sometimes when you strafe sideways in same or opposite direction of the scroll it may generate some funky results ;-) Would be interesting to see a comparison with static or much more slowly scrolling sky.
Anhoo, keep up the amazing work!
Old 24 July 2021, 11:37   #880
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Same here. The size of the clouds look fine to me (remember the Doom 2 skies?), but the scrolling feels a bit fast.