English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 26 September 2004, 12:57   #41
hratgard

Any updates on the PC ediition?

I just ran across an norweigan forum where they had started an Amiga memorylane kind of thread. And I listed my all time favourites.. And of corse Mayham was one of them. Thought I'd try look around -yet again- for the game. As I've never been able to even finda slightest evidence of its existence. Only thing I remembered was that it was made by some finish guys. And the name Mayhem... but try enter Mayhem in google :P

=)

Well I finally found it here I guess.. Havent tested it yet, just downloaded the 3 files. =)

dms, hmm now I gotta search this forum some and findout what emulator handles dms files =)

Old 26 September 2004, 19:48   #42
Amiga1992

Where are the 50 quid fpr the game poster?!
Old 29 September 2004, 20:44   #43
BeelzebubUK

Wow - this was a blast from the past. Was surprised to find that my links for the files are still there.

According to the thread I paid DPainter the reward but that was 2 years ago. Maybe the thread title should be changed now

For anyone interested I still have the PC version that was being done by another fan. I never got any further updates from him but maybe someone else could carry on with it ?

I've uploaded it here along with the original Amiga images as well just in case I lose the other files :

Mayhem PC : http://www.louiscifer666.plus.com/Mayhem-install.exe
Mayhem Amiga Disc 1 : http://www.louiscifer666.plus.com/mayhem-1.dms
Mayhem Amiga Disc 2 : http://www.louiscifer666.plus.com/mayhem-2.dms
Mayhem Amiga Disc 3 : http://www.louiscifer666.plus.com/mayhem-3.dms

I still have those 2800 discs sitting in boxes....still haven't gotten round to cataloguing them yet I did manage to put those 16 CDs of images onto 3 DVD's though.

I have been spending too much money updating my 1200 though. Now has network card, SCSI CD-ROM, VGA Adapter, 68030 50Mhz CPU & 64MB Fast Ram

Last edited by BeelzebubUK; 29 September 2004 at 20:55.
Old 30 September 2004, 01:54   #44
Amiga1992

I got lost in the thread and didn't realize who found it and all, so thread title changed accordingly
Old 09 October 2004, 14:51   #45
Afro88

Holy crap! I tried to find Mayhem about 3 years ago but only found a bunch of threads started by BeelzebubUK

I actually found the Amiga disk of PD games about a month ago with Mayhem, Extreme Violence, Bally 3 etc. A week ago, I found out my friends house mate has an A500, so I went round there today with the disk burning a hole in my pocket. And lo and behold, I played Mayhem again I have the original 1 level version that only comes on 1 disk if anybody wants me to rip it to adf or whatever. I'm downloading the dms files for the 3 disk version now (and the PC version)

It's a bit late, but thanks Dpainter and BeelzebubUK!!! Mayhem was my favourite game back in the day. Me, my brother and a couple of mates would sit there and play for hours, developing new tactics and even stupid show off-y things to do. For example, the "Turkey Run" where you fly down the right hand side of the map facing down thrusting the whole way, only to turn at just the right moment so your ship hits the ground and bounces off safely. Oh, and landing on the big bubble at the bottom of the map to refuel. Ahhh, good times

Time to check out the 3 disk version!

Old 11 October 2004, 06:41   #46
Afro88

Well, turns out the version I have on the Amiga is the second disk (which imho is the best map anyway). Does the mission menu work for anyone? Do you reckon the dude/s were working on a single player mode too?

Looking at the game with older eyes, it looks like it was very hallucinagen influenced, with all the tripped out faces and stuff strewn around the maps. And the "bubbles" at the bottom of the map on the second disk? More like mushrooms!

Old 28 October 2005, 18:41   #47
Jurbo

I have been searching for this game for ages, so far I have only had a one level version on a demo pack (Sanity Velveteen #??, got it in 1991 I think). Wonderful that the full game seems to be available - this was a favourite while I was in high school, and me and my buddies were anxious to find a version with more levels, as the title screen suggests there are several!

However, do these files work on WinUAE? I have tried the dms's and also converted them into adf's and the result seems to be the same - Guru meditation after the decrunching flicker. I have not tried transfering the disks yet. Is there a configuration for WinUAE that runs the game? Thanks!!!

Old 03 November 2005, 23:40   #48
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Jurbo - there's a three disk version but I'm having problems loading the other levels. There may be a problem with the ADFs.

If you'd like to take a look at it you can find it in TOSEC or else I'll upload it to the Zone.
Old 17 November 2005, 13:20   #49
Jurbo

@ CodyJarrett - I have tried the files that have been posted in threads on this forum - none that I have been able to download seem to work. Not on PC, not on an A500 with 0,5 MB chip/0,5 MB fast.

I'd be happy to try out if you have a different version. I checked out TOSEC but couldn't really understand the site (I registered to be able to enter the forum, downloads etc) - are there games downloads available (maybe I'm blind or stupid or...)???

If you would be so kind to upload to the Zone, I'd be very grateful!

Old 24 July 2006, 23:54   #50
lamobird

Wow. Cool to see that people have fond memories of this game. So fond they want to pay 50 UKP to get it!

I did a search for it just to see if there were any screens from it on the web, as I drew one of the stages for it, and stumbled upon this thread. Here's some background info on the game:

It was coded and designed in Harstad/Norway by Espen Skoglund, who was a member of the demo group IT. The music in the menu (if there is any music in this release) is done by Walkman/IT (don't recall his real name right now). The game was supposed to have a multiplayer and singleplayer part, but Espen never got around to the single player, because every evening five or six people gathered around in his bedroom to play the multiplayer all night. A demo of the game was sent around to various software houses at the time, to see if we could get some funding for the game, but no one wanted it. Then the demo that you guys probably have got spread, and Espen went to university, and the whole project was abandoned.

Thanks for this thread, btw. Put a smile to my face and brought back a lot of memories.

Old 05 August 2006, 21:08   #51
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamobird
It was coded and designed in Harstad/Norway by Espen Skoglund, who was a member of the demo group IT. The music in the menu (if there is any music in this release) is done by Walkman/IT (don't recall his real name right now).
I studied at university with Espen and one of the other IT guys (I should remember the name...) and they gave me a copy of it. Nice enough.

I think Walkman's real name was Øystein something. He did some amazing stuff.

Old 09 August 2006, 13:15   #52
eSk

Whoohoo! Had almost managed to forget about this game. As lamobird said, the game was also supposed to have a single player mode bearing similarities to the old "Thrust" style pick-up-a-ball action. Never really got around to completing this, though. Actually, I never even got around to nailing down the physics in a way that made the game playable (i.e., not insanely difficult to control).

And before anyone asks: No, I don't have the data and source code for the game lying around right now. It's stored with my Amiga equipment which is (or at least was) stashed away in a computer lab up at the University of Tromsø.

Old 09 August 2006, 13:23   #53
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Welcome on board eSk.
Old 09 August 2006, 14:13   #54
Crown
Demoscener

infos on walkman can be found at: http://amp.dascene.net/detail.php?view=8084

he is a fab musician!
Old 09 August 2006, 17:40   #55
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

can anyone point me towards some ADFs of this Mayhem game? sounds rather good, and if possible i'd like to make it online-playable in my next batch of kaillera-packs.

i tried to get the DMS files to write to ADFs but winuae crashed everytime, and i havent the time to do it on the real amiga right now.
Old 09 August 2006, 17:42   #56
BippyM
Global Moderator

try using xdms on the pc side to convert the dms to adf
Old 09 August 2006, 18:19   #57
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

cheers bip' - works now.

seems quite a nice little number, just need to see how it reacts to HD installation now.
Old 10 August 2006, 00:23   #58
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSk
Whoohoo!.
Ho-ho! Got a copy of "Maasedemo"? 'Einar - Einar garasjen'

I still have a copy of the C= NDA papers. Well, the first draft I filled out anyway :-)

I see old names from University from time to time. And I think I know where I got "Øystein" from: Wasn't that someone Walkman supposed to be teaming up with (or am I having memory bit failure again?)?

-Børge "NorthWay" Nøst

Old 09 October 2006, 20:23   #59
rsn8887

Oh my god, I remember this game.
I have been looking for this for ages!
I just downloaded it, thanks a LOT BeelzebubUK.

I will look through the other requests, I might be able to help out with rare games from my own collection.

rsn8887
Old 22 January 2007, 12:51   #60
BeelzebubUK

Greetings from the past

Good to see a few more people have made use of the links and remember the game.

And I'm in awe that the original maker of the game has been here as well.....you are my Amiga god

I still have those 3 boxes with 2800 disks sitting in my loft in my new house now so things never change

If I win the lottery I might find enough time on my hands to actually sort through them.

Last edited by BeelzebubUK; 22 January 2007 at 13:09.