English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 February 2021, 18:38   #1
c0dehunter

Why a PAL (German) A500 Keyboard does not type

Hello all,
A While back I bought this PAL A500 from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-R...72.m2749.l2649

But when I type on German specific keys, I only see the NTSC equivalent characters being typed on the screen.

1) How is this possible?

2) Strangely enough, when I press (Ä) and (^#)keys (see the screenshots) nothing is displayed. I even removed the keycaps to see if there is a connection issue or debris blocking the shorting mechanism, but everything seem to be in working order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keyboard.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	71036  
Old 25 February 2021, 19:45   #2
torsti76

Did you choose the correct language in Input preferences?
Old 25 February 2021, 21:26   #3
Jope
-

1) keymaps are in software, totally separate from what is written on the keys
2) the key switches may be tarnished for these two keys. this looks like an NMB keyboard. you can gently prise off the keycap from the corner and stick a piece of paper between the contacts and move it around a bit to clean off any gunk. the keycap is a thin shell on top of a white plunger, try not to pull out the white plunger at the same time as the keycap, as it is easy to bend and ruin the contacts when reinstalling the plunger. sometimes the keys start typing again by tapping them repeatedly. if your keyboard is instead a mitsumi, you will need to take it apart and clean any dust from the inside.
Old 25 February 2021, 21:33   #4
mart1n

My guess is that the keyboard membrane is broken. You can try to repair the traces with something like electrical paint but a new membrane is probably the easiest option. A new membrane is usually something like 30€.
Old 25 February 2021, 21:51   #5
redblade
Zone Friend

Like Jope said. The amiga defaults to US keyboard by default which is great for US,NZ,CAN,AUS.

You have to set the keyboard to german using c:setmap on the workbench disk.
Old 26 February 2021, 02:44   #6
c0dehunter

Thank you for your informative responses, I really appreciate them all. Well, looks like no matter what I do, those two keys are not going to work, so unfortunately I am going to leave them like that for now.

I know it is a bummer, since this system is truly unique in a sense that has the Rev 3.0 motherboard, C= keyboard, etc.

I primarily use this particular A500 for watching demos and play games, and unless I am using the system for typing or editing, I won't be needing those two keys, right? I mean I can always use the duplicate keys found somewhere else on the keyboard I guess.

Last edited by c0dehunter; 26 February 2021 at 03:23.
Old 26 February 2021, 07:18   #7
Jope
-

The ä key should print ' and " (when shifted) with a usa keymap.

Did you try to clean the contacts in the keyswitch? I have many of these keyboards and if they sit for a few years, some keys will stop typing. Cleaning the brass contacts is how to get them alive again, no need to remove anything more than the keycap, the contacts are accessible from the hole in the space invader plunger underneath.

The keymap that matches the german layout is "d".
Old 26 February 2021, 09:17   #8
c0dehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Like Jope said. The amiga defaults to US keyboard by default which is great for US,NZ,CAN,AUS.

You have to set the keyboard to german using c:setmap on the workbench disk.

Could you elaborate more? I mean can you provide step by step guide?
Thanks!
Old 26 February 2021, 09:25   #9
c0dehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The ä key should print ' and " (when shifted) with a usa keymap.

Did you try to clean the contacts in the keyswitch? I have many of these keyboards and if they sit for a few years, some keys will stop typing. Cleaning the brass contacts is how to get them alive again, no need to remove anything more than the keycap, the contacts are accessible from the hole in the space invader plunger underneath.

The keymap that matches the german layout is "d".

Thanks for the info: Yes, I removed the cap on the (^#) key, and cleaned it, but it still does not work.

For the (Ä) key, the cap and the space invader switch came off, and it broke of a bit of the left copper clamp (it looks like a tiny hand with tiny fingers, which clasps the right clamp).

The left and right clamps could not reach other in order to create a short, but I pushed them together (bent them) so I can visually confirm they they can clasp, but still no characters in produced with I press the (Ä) key.

Last edited by c0dehunter; 09 March 2021 at 21:46.
Old 26 February 2021, 09:37   #10
torsti76

What happens if you press the 'ö' key? Does it type a semi-colon?
Old 26 February 2021, 16:41   #11
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dehunter View Post
Thanks for the info: Yes, I removed the cap on the (^#) key, and cleaned it, but it still does not work.
I think this one doesn't print anything on a usa keymap, but if you load the d keymap, it should work.

Quote:
For the (Ä) key, the cap and the space invader switch came off, and it broke of a bit of the left copper clamp (it looks like a tiny hand with tiny finders, which clasps the right clamp).

The left and right clamps could not reach other in order to create a short, but I pushed them together (bent them) so I can visually confirm they they can clasp, but still no characters in produced with I press the (Ä) key.
You can use a multimeter underneath to see whether the switch makes contact when you push it.. Are these two keys the only ones that are dead?
Old 26 February 2021, 19:50   #12
Photon

Gunk (sweat from fingers and spills from beverages) find its way to the membrane. I know this because I just cleaned two keyboards inside

You should do this every 10 years (or every time you spill lemonade on the keyboard ).

But keymap problems are keymap problems. If it's only the language-specific keys, it's easily fixed by "SetMap de" on the commandline (or the corresponding action in your Workbench version).
Old 27 February 2021, 01:54   #13
c0dehunter

Quote:
I think this one doesn't print anything on a usa keymap, but if you load the d keymap, it should work.
Quote:

You can use a multimeter underneath to see whether the switch makes contact when you push it.. Are these two keys the only ones that are dead?

Now that you mentioned it, when I connect my spare chicken-lips (C=) German keyboard, the (^#), also it does not do anything! so I guess it means that this key (^#) is in working order then!

I still don't know how to load the German Keymap under Workbench!

You guys are awesome, I really appreciate the encouragement!

Last edited by c0dehunter; 27 February 2021 at 04:52.
Old 27 February 2021, 10:34   #14
zipper

http://www.mattowen.co.uk/amiga/amig...tkeyboard.html
Old 27 February 2021, 14:42   #15
cpiac64

the keyboard of a500 has a membrane, type A and type B, if are switched 2 key don't work
Old 01 March 2021, 09:39   #16
BLUELiGHT

AFAIK the keyboard in this topic doesn't have a membrane, it's the mechanical variant https://www.triflex.dk/2019/11/22/st...lips-keyboard/
Old 01 March 2021, 10:20   #17
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dehunter View Post
I still don't know how to load the German Keymap under Workbench!
Work on a copy of the workbench disk. Copy the file "d" from devs/keymaps on the extras 1.3 disk to the devs/keymaps directory of your copied workbench 1.3 disk.

Now say setmap d in a cli/shell and you will have the German keymap.
Old 03 March 2021, 17:09   #18
c0dehunter

Thanks for the instructions: Say when I removed this WB disk, and reset A500, it would revert back to the default US Keymap then, right?
Old 04 March 2021, 02:43   #19
esel

Right
Old 19 March 2021, 10:54   #20
c0dehunter

OK, thanks to all your help, I was able to find a German Workbench disk (DE).

The key (^#) works with no issue.

The key (Ö) works as well.

The (Ä) is the only key that does not type anything at all.

If I am NOT able to fix this key, and if it is disabled permanently, would I really run into any issues if this?

I mean I am not using any word processing, or use this A500 for office use that I would need anything typed on it. I use this A500 for just games and demos.

I appreciate your insights in advance!

Last edited by c0dehunter; 19 March 2021 at 11:18.