English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 April 2020, 15:26   #4181
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Most units in Dune 2 are a bit pointless, you really have to go for the tanks and rocket launchers to win the game. I mean why ever build ornithopters, the rocket turrets will gun them down in no effort at all. Who needs troops besides sacrificing them to worms? Any tank-ish vehicle will just run over them. You can use them to take over a building, but... meh. Destroying the buildings with missile launchers is so much quicker, you need to attack buildings first to be able to take them over anyway.

And yes why build sonic tanks when they are destroyed in no time, tanks are pretty much mandatory as the main offensive unit. You might use tanks to draw enemy fire and then use a sonic tank to attack from the side, but... why bother. Especially since you run the risk of damaging your own units.

At least the trikes and such are nice and fast so they are good for scouting early game. And sacrificing to spice blows. They stay useful from early game to the last mission.
Old 29 April 2020, 19:27   #4182
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Agreed, although on this replaying of Dune, on one of the early missions I found the ornithopters quite efficient at delivering the Harvesters and plucking my wounded heroes from battle. At the same time, Harkonnem attack orithopters could be pretty devastating unless my missile turrets were closely aligned with their approach path.
Old 30 April 2020, 10:15   #4183
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Agreed, although on this replaying of Dune, on one of the early missions I found the ornithopters quite efficient at delivering the Harvesters and plucking my wounded heroes from battle.
Those are Carryalls, not Ornithopthers. An extra Carryall is infinitely useful, but there is little point in building more than one extra.
Old 30 April 2020, 10:32   #4184
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I've been playing Streets Of Rage 1,2 and 3 in anticipation of SOR4 This new sequel really looks quite special, can't wait.
Old 30 April 2020, 13:21   #4185
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Those are Carryalls, not Ornithopthers. An extra Carryall is infinitely useful, but there is little point in building more than one extra.

Excellent point, well made. :-)
Old 05 May 2020, 19:18   #4186
seuden
uber cool demi god

Completed Knights of the Round (Arcade).
Started up Streets of Rage 4.
Old 05 May 2020, 23:22   #4187
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
At least the trikes and such are nice and fast so they are good for scouting early game. And sacrificing to spice blows. They stay useful from early game to the last mission.

Did you realise you don't need to sacrifice them? I only just noticed you can use a trike, or anything else, to shoot up a spice blow to make it blossom.
Old 06 May 2020, 08:42   #4188
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Did you realise you don't need to sacrifice them? I only just noticed you can use a trike, or anything else, to shoot up a spice blow to make it blossom.
Surely everyone knows that?
Old 06 May 2020, 11:12   #4189
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
No you need to sacrifice them, at least as of the third level. Otherwise... they don't disappear, and thus count towards the unit limit. Any low-level unit you have is a higher level unit you cannot build.
Old 06 May 2020, 15:26   #4190
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Currently I play Putty Squad on miniSNES. Sorry Amiga, but nintendo uses more buttons.
Old 06 May 2020, 16:10   #4191
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Surely everyone knows that?

Clearly you've not worked with me before.
Old 06 May 2020, 16:25   #4192
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Clearly you've not worked with me before.

We had a few goes on Mario Kart 64 earlier. Such great games the Mario Kart series.
Old 06 May 2020, 21:16   #4193
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Currently I play Putty Squad on miniSNES. Sorry Amiga, but nintendo uses more buttons.
For those who know how to setup controller, you can set more buttons on WinUAE then on miniSNES, but you know that already, don't ya?

Finally we know something about Predseda... Nintendo lover...

Past few days just played some odd C64 titles (arkanoid, crazy kong, choplifter, dig dug, eagle empire and fort apocalypse to name few) and few classic arcades, up to GLoc and Final Fight with my son. Slowly rebuilding my Launchbox setup.

I will probably work next on ZX Spectrum games.

Also, did play bit Dragon Breed on RGL, bit it seems I am a bit too old for that button smashing... Just posted score from first run... might try again before end of the week and new game next week.

Last edited by Anubis; 06 May 2020 at 21:24.
Old 07 May 2020, 10:42   #4194
haynor666
retro maniac

Settlers III

Finished main campaign now playing Amazons campaign.
Old 08 May 2020, 09:06   #4195
ransom1122

Songs for a Hero – A Lenda do Herói - This game is sooo unique & amazing

Also playing..

The Adventures of Ten and Till
Old 08 May 2020, 13:15   #4196
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Played Donkey Kong and B.C.'s Quest for Tires on MSX. On first one I could not even get first stage after multiple attempts, while second was more fun. Some EU IV and later Galaga on MAME just for fun.

@haynor666 - As much as I loved series, I could not get myself to play Settlers III even through main campaign. Long time ago I got whole series from gog.com, even I have most of the games on CDs, but I have never even installed it. Something I might try again... Thanks for reminding me.
Old 12 May 2020, 17:20   #4197
BarryB
Amigaholic

Dungeon Siege! GOG had all 3 (minus the expansions for DS1 & DS2) for £2.29 so couldn't resist! DS3 is absolute shit compared to DS1 & DS2 though!

Never had so much Rage Quitting fun trying to remember how to play it! Especially when you misclick and instead of clicking the character you want to attack you click the ground past it so all you magic users you held back go charging into the fight and most end up dead!
Old 12 May 2020, 17:55   #4198
xubidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Dungeon Siege! GOG had all 3 (minus the expansions for DS1 & DS2) for £2.29 so couldn't resist! DS3 is absolute shit compared to DS1 & DS2 though!

Only ever played DS3 actually, and i like it never even seen the 1st 2 games,let alone played them,

Games im currently playing:
Xbox
Streets of Rage 4
Duke Nukem 3D World Tour

Amiga
Swos 2020
Freds Jouney

PC
Alien Breed 3d (osiris-0.9) fantastic game.

Old 12 May 2020, 18:55   #4199
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
Only ever played DS3 actually, and i like it never even seen the 1st 2 games,let alone played them
Dungeon Siege was released 2002 and developed by Gas Powered Games, DS3 was released in 2011 and developed by Obsidian Entertainment, except they forgot to put the 'Entertainment' bit in the game! I remember playing DS3 when it came out and thinking 'What the hell is this, it's not Dungeon Siege'

I'm upto 50 hours so far in Single Player DS1 and only 2/3 through, a lot better that the 2-3 hours of some AAA titles in SP! Then there's the Legend of Arrana expansion that adds another 20 or so hours! Then DS2 + Expansion with about another 80 hours of gameplay
Old 12 May 2020, 19:28   #4200
DamienD
Banned

I remember playing / finishing Dungeon Siege back in the day