English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 09 November 2021, 21:39   #1
TuKo
Apollo Team

WHDLoad Network Update feature

Hi all,

Since WHDLoad is able to find out if a slave is outdated and offer to download the new version, why not go a step further and let it download that slave and update corresponding files directly instead of redirecting to the download page ?

What would be the dev effort to enhance that already nice feature ?
Old 10 November 2021, 09:51   #2
Wepl

This could be accomplished for most installs where it is sufficient to update only the Slave. But some install may require reinstall or other actions and there is no way to detect this.
Old 10 November 2021, 14:30   #3
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

I suppose that installs that only need to replace the slave to update could have some kind of flags file indicating that, but it would require buy-in from each install developer to support it. The effort is probably not worth it, but it would certainly make things a bit easier from the user perspective.
Old 11 November 2021, 10:24   #4
Wepl

The installs would need some meta data enrichment to reliable support automatic updates. This is unlikely to happen.
If someone writes a script/program which will do the update based on the currently available info the archive/readme (heuristic) I could call this from WHDLoad. I have currently no time/motivation to create such script/program.
Old 11 November 2021, 14:26   #5
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

I've actually been considering such a script for a while (which is why I asked where WHDLoad looks for the hash info used to check for updated slaves in another thread). If I actually get around to writing it, I'll let you know.