English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 September 2015, 09:05   #1
Foebane
Banned

Amiga Forever, WHY?

I got this software from Cloanto years ago (well, 2012) because I thought it was the best and most stable way to emulate an Amiga for those who had had nothing but problems with WinUAE settings.

Now, I keep it only for the "Amiga Files/Shared" folder which contains the essential Kickstart ROMs, Workbench disks and .HDF files which contain WB installs.

The rip-off of AF is that it forces you to use its own proprietary file formats, known as RP9s, on the version of WinUAE that is provided, which apparently limits the software to all versions of the emulator released that year.

Lately, what with continuing instabilities and demos crashing right in the middle of playing and so forth, I consulted people to ask how many people use this software, and they said NONE.

So I decided to seek out and download the latest version of WinUAE (one not tied to 2012) and simply drag over the Shared folder into its folder and tailor it to the host settings I wanted, and now I have a fully functional and absolutely stable Amiga emulation on my Windows desktop, and I have enjoyed reliving ALL my old demo faves that look better than ever and don't crash! Even some demos that I knew were buggy on WinUAE now work much better! Sure, there are the odd glitches, but I'd say WinUAE is now working at 99.9% at being a real Amiga!

It's actually down to the Quickstart part of the emulator, which is hard-coded with the most usual Amiga configs across different systems, and which didn't always exist. I haven't had to tinker with the main emulator settings at all.

Oh, sure, AF is fine for those who don't know anything about the Amiga at all, but someone like me who's owned an A500 and A1200 back in the day should know better!
Old 06 September 2015, 09:27   #2
ptyerman

Just as a note. The RP9 files can be opened just like a zip with a archiver and the contents extracted, they usually contain a ADF image of the program/game in question along with screenshots and manuals.
Old 06 September 2015, 11:56   #3
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Just as a note. The RP9 files can be opened just like a zip with a archiver and the contents extracted, they usually contain a ADF image of the program/game in question along with screenshots and manuals.
Maybe, but I'm not interested in screenshots or manuals, as most of my Amiga content is demos. And anyway, the instructions and ADFs can be found online.

The point is that I was stuck with only 2012 versions of WinUAE with the AF I had, but WinUAE has improved massively since.
Old 06 September 2015, 13:16   #4
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
now I have a fully functional and absolutely stable Amiga emulation on my Windows desktop, and I have enjoyed reliving ALL my old demo faves that look better than ever and don't crash! Even some demos that I knew were buggy on WinUAE now work much better! Sure, there are the odd glitches, but I'd say WinUAE is now working at 99.9% at being a real Amiga!
Glad to here you enjoy watching amiga demos ! (me too)

p.s.
If you find some demo works fine on a real amiga that gliches in winuae, please report even if there is a little glitch! (if a such demo exist anymore )

Cheers

EDIT:
Quote:
The point is that I was stuck with only 2012 versions of WinUAE with the AF I had, but WinUAE has improved massively since.
It should not be a reason for the outpouring of discontent, all the more because you've managed to solve the problem -> upgrade to the new winuae version.

p.s.
But to some extent I can understand the frustration you're experiencing with the older version while watching your faves demos.

Last edited by amilo3438; 06 September 2015 at 19:39.
Old 06 September 2015, 14:28   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Maybe, but I'm not interested in screenshots or manuals, as most of my Amiga content is demos. And anyway, the instructions and ADFs can be found online.

You only have to replace the WinUAE.exe in the C:\Program Files\Cloanto\Amiga Forever\WinUAE dir and your pretty much set.

Quote:
Lately, what with continuing instabilities and demos crashing right in the middle of playing and so forth, I consulted people to ask how many people use this software, and they said NONE.
What a load of crap.
Old 06 September 2015, 19:11   #6
desiv

If AF was the gateway that got you to using WinUAE, and you have legal ROMs...

Sounds like it's all good.
As others have pointed out, there isn't a proprietary format you can't get open.
AF is great for what it does and the audience it has.

If you are now beyond that, great for you. Doesn't say anything bad about AF tho...

Be happy that AF was working for you and now WinUAE direct is ....
Sounds like a win win.. ;-)

desiv
Old 06 September 2015, 21:02   #7
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
What a load of crap.
Well, OK, almost none. But then, these were seasoned professional demo coders on Pouet.net, so obviously they want to get down to the metal, not deal with frontends like AF.
Old 06 September 2015, 21:40   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

If you could point out some demo's & games that you have found not to work properly then I would like to test them on my AF2014 setup.
Old 06 September 2015, 23:01   #9
Amiga1992

Amiga Forever is a rip-off.
Old 06 September 2015, 23:05   #10
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Amiga Forever provides the legal use of the Kickstart which otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to use. But all that would be only interesting if the owner of the Rights would care about them, which, i guess he doesn't.
Old 06 September 2015, 23:26   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Amiga Forever is a rip-off.
Nope, I disagree. Changing your Car details over the phone and being charged £50, now that's what I call a rip off!
Old 07 September 2015, 00:20   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
Amiga Forever provides the legal use of the Kickstart which otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to use.
I have 5 Amigas. I am pretty sure I am entitled to legally use Kickstart as much as I want.
Old 07 September 2015, 00:47   #13
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

But for those of us who don't give the tiniest of shits about restrictions on the use of firmware for computers whose manufacturer died the death over twenty years ago, there's always the option to just download them off the Internet like a sensible person.
Old 07 September 2015, 01:18   #14
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
But for those of us who don't give the tiniest of shits about restrictions on the use of firmware for computers whose manufacturer died the death over twenty years ago, there's always the option to just download them off the Internet like a sensible person.
Yep, and for other people AF will give them those ROMs and they can feel more comfortable about it.

Or some might like the interface..

No one is saying AF is the only way anyone should enjoy Amiga emulation.

Heck, the value edition is only $10..
It's a viable option for some people.

Just as WinUAE and google is fine for others..

Can't we all just get along?

desiv
Old 07 September 2015, 01:34   #15
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Can't we all just get along?
Nope.
Old 07 September 2015, 01:39   #16
desiv

Quote:
Nope.
LOL

Fair enough..

desiv
Old 07 September 2015, 10:04   #17
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
What the hell's sensible got to do with it?

If you want to Pirate stuff that's your affair but don't class everyone that buys genuine as stupid.

Not everyone knows what an Amiga is, does or did do. Any Emulator looks daunting to the first time user. Having a ready made solution to get started is a godsend to some.
Old 07 September 2015, 12:27   #18
auimag

I have had the honour of using several versions of Amiga Forever over the years, and have to admit the early versions were not the easiest to get on with. However, the latest 2014 Plus version has proved to be a real gem and I can happily run all my favourite game and productivity titles with ease and without a problem on the PC at work.

It's a pleasure to be able to demonstrate the power of DOpus, Arexx and even AmigaBasic on a Windows machine that lacks what we took for granted all those years ago.
Old 07 September 2015, 12:30   #19
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
If you could point out some demo's & games that you have found not to work properly then I would like to test them on my AF2014 setup.
Fairlight & Virtual Dreams' 242 crashed half-way through on Amiga Forever's frontend. I suspect this is possibly because the ADF used in the RP9 was actually corrupt, which is possible.

I tried again with the very latest WinUAE when AF was uninstalled, with another ADF of the demo and it worked absolutely fine.

Another demo I tried on AF was corrupting on-screen massively (can't remember the name of it) - I suspect these RP9s have been created without fully testing the source ADFs, somehow. Talk about a rip-off!
Old 07 September 2015, 14:10   #20
Mclane
Old retro god.

C'mon guys, lets not fall out over Rom usage, for those that brought AF, good on you but I prefer the Amiga Gamebase as my frontend and the latest beta, does that make me a horrible bad person, no, I'm just enjoying what is out there.

I did buy the C64 version long ago but I found it pointless in the end because it was limited, again I preferred the excellent Gamebase out there. My ideal situation would be to have the old hardware back but my bedroom has enough retro machines to annoy the wife.

2 Atari 8bits, with disk drive, an Xbox, a gamecube, a Snes with Wild card, a PS2 and lastly a Dreamcast, with a Xbox360 and PS4 in my daughters room.

So come on, just enjoy the hard work Toni puts in with whatever front end or not you use. As for the roms, we could argue forever and in the end its all pointless.