English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 16 September 2022, 11:20   #21
lmimmfn

I'm quite sure new Steam Deck orders today will be fulfilled by Christmas. Their increased production is drastically reducing the backlog and they seem to be getting 1 months backlog done per week. Current backlog is about 3.5 months.

I enjoyed playing Spiderman on it last night while on the couch with the Mrs watching TV, the accessibility aspect of it for gaming is fantastic, I.e. not having to sit at a PC. My PC setup is quite decent, 1080Ti, 6800k 6 core and ultra wide 34" with gsync but can see myself on the deck more.
Old 16 September 2022, 21:20   #22
DisasterIncarna

ah what the heck, just ordered a 1tb sdcard, this one specifically, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 hell of a price jump from many 512's to 1tb's if the 1tb even exists for some cards, saw some sites saying the sandisk extreme pro was supposed to be the dogs gonads for speed but a fair few reviews ive read kinda put me off so went for the normal extreme variant instead.

this is all well and good and hoping my delivery man doesnt "lose" the steam deck along the way
Old 17 September 2022, 03:32   #23
lmimmfn

Much as I would love a 1TB SD the prices are insane, I.e. can get 3 512GB SDs for the price of a 1TB. I'll get this 512GB one but will probably get another just to have one for PC games and another for emulation.
Old 17 September 2022, 11:01   #24
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
thats some good pics, and actually the first snapshot i have seen of an emulated amiga on the steam deck thats fullscreen, other pics and vids ive seen showed emulation as a smaller, non-fullscreen viewport.
Oh, my pics? I assume so - they're PC games, ports of Gloom and AB3D to modern engines. Amiga emulation looks like my pic at the top of the page - it emulates a full 320x256 PAL screen, so NTSC images like the Speedball one get black bars to the sides and bottom.

Fullscreen PAL games get no bottom black area. Would be nice if the system could detect the screen mode and expand to fill though.
Old 20 September 2022, 14:21   #25
DisasterIncarna

Code:
We've got your GLS parcel and we're delivering it today between 13:30 and 15:30.
My friends, it would appear santa is real after all and on his way.
Old 20 September 2022, 14:52   #26
lmimmfn

Quote:
Code:
We've got your GLS parcel and we're delivering it today between 13:30 and 15:30.
My friends, it would appear santa is real after all and on his way.
Excellent, an exciting afternoon ahead
Old 20 September 2022, 15:22   #27
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Excellent, an exciting afternoon ahead
and lots of updates, which its doing right now
Old 20 September 2022, 15:26   #28
lmimmfn

Quote:
and lots of updates, which its doing right now
Lol, yes takes a while to update and install games, I left mine beside my 5GHz WiFi so it was getting around 60MB per second download.

My 512GB SD card arrived today so will be setting up some emulators later.
Old 20 September 2022, 16:13   #29
DisasterIncarna

already thinking i need a usbc hub with ethernet port for updates/fresh installs tbh, wifi... is.... slow....
Old 23 September 2022, 00:40   #30
DisasterIncarna

after looking around there doesnt seem to be many suitable hubs with gigabit ethernet (many are 10/100 and a lot simply dont state which they are so probably 10/100). Another issue many seem to have is not enough power passthrough, perfectly fine for other products but causes trickle charging or no charging for a steam deck.

Another popular alternative is.....no stock remaining, from what someone said on a forum, likely because they have a better/more expensive alternative on the way? looks like I will just wait for whenever Valve's own dock is available unless anything more suitable crops up in the meantime.
Old 23 September 2022, 13:28   #31
lmimmfn

I'm also waiting on the Steam Dock, for now for large downloads e.g. 93GB FF7 remake, I just leave the deck beside the 5Ghz WiFi router and get around 60MB per second, which is fine for now as mostly limited by space on 512GB SD card and 256GB internal storage and the SD card write speed its just over 50MB/sec anyway.
Old 26 August 2023, 12:09   #32
Shoonay
Global Caturator

This video convinced me that Steam Deck is perfect for me: [ Show youtube player ]

So I got one. Added a 2TB SSD, 1TB MicroSD, installed a glass shield on the screen, changed the backplate to a transparent-blue one with some extra cooling capabilities and a special dock with 1GB LAN, DisplayPort, HDMI, 100W charging, 10GB USB's and a fan that I'll have to mode to a Noctua one in the future

https://i.imgur.com/tO8DoUz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bIg4RE6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RSUGCOX.jpg

Last edited by Shoonay; 30 August 2023 at 18:19.
Old 30 August 2023, 15:23   #33
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Nice.

I have 512GB model and installed 512GB MicroSD card and glass shield. I did not bother with transparent case, but did get nice port with HDMI output for monitor.

Did you try Emu Deck?

BTW, regarding video - ok to game in dark, but during day - too much light in woods I like dark room, more cave like