English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 23 February 2022, 06:42   #41
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Oh that’s a shame, is the speed the same without fastram too?

Obviously games like Gloom and Doom, even Catacombs improved with Akiko, do you foresee a workaround or is it just the way you are writing to the buffer that makes it too hard to use at the same time?
Of course, I tried it on a basic CD32 config without fast RAM. I have no idea why it wasn't faster, but I tried a few variations before setting on the current one. I don't intend to spend more time on this, but I'll leave if anyone wants to play with it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I have given this a quick test on my A1200 with TF1230 and it runs very nicely. Nice job!

[ Show youtube player ]
Thanks! Just keep in mind that demos are locked at about 17 fps, so I'm sure the actual gameplay will be much smoother than this at 50 MHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
That reminds me, a while ago, I picked up a Graffiti board.
There wasn't much support for its C2P implementations, but some.
In some of my testing (which was ages ago using DoomAttack), I know that on my A1200, the "optimized C2P 020" driver ran faster than the Graffiti C2P driver.
(Note: I had my ACA1230/28 by then, so I had some extra CPU speed and FAST RAM)
Of course, that could mean just that the Graffiti driver I had just wasn't very good?
I wonder if it is similar to the reason Akiko C2P is about the same speed in your testing...
The graffiti would be difficult to utilize here as it turns the whole screen into chunky. In this port I used native bitmaps and bit templates for everything I could, so only the 3D view is in chunky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playaveli View Post
Great work! Congrats on this project. Sound worked fine for me. Around 40-45 FPS.

* bugs:
- Controller won't turn right (keys worked fine)
- After I rebooted my Amiga (1200, Blizzard 1230 MKIV, 128 MB RAM) the game won't start anymore. Screen stays black.

Any ideas?
I'll look into the controller problem (this was mostly untested), but I have no clue about the black screen of death
Old 23 February 2022, 08:42   #42
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I couldn't find anything wrong with the controller support, at least it works with the emulated 2 button controller in WinUAE.
On another note the first version of the AdLib support is done. For now you'll have to run the "convert-sounds" program manually, and then enable the "AdLib/Sound Blaster" options in the game's Sound options. Keep in mind that rendering the music takes forever at 14 MHz, so be prepared to leave your machine for a while to do its thing. It's a one time process though, so hang in there.
Old 23 February 2022, 11:34   #43
wairnair

Great project! I'll give this a go in April when I get to my CD32 setup. It'll be perfect on the TF330, I also have a keyboard in case it'll be needed.
Old 23 February 2022, 20:55   #44
VincentGR

Big grin

030/50 smooooooth

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 February 2022, 21:36   #45
Ami

At ~50% window size, it's playable on unexpanded A1200.
Old 23 February 2022, 22:05   #46
x-vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post

Thanks. Yes, once I'm done I'll backport everything into Blake Stone.
And Doom? Quake?
Old 23 February 2022, 22:50   #47
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
At ~50% window size, it's playable on unexpanded A1200.
I guess you can do that, but I wonder how much fun is playing in a small window

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-vision View Post
And Doom? Quake?
I don't think there's anything to be reused for Quake. For Doom maybe the scaler functions could be adapted, but the main source of speed there is using 16-bit math. It works here as the textures are 64x64 pixels and the screen is low resolution, but there's just not enough precision there for anything "more serious".
Old 24 February 2022, 12:08   #48
Amigajay

Just tried the update, the music and sfx play ok even on stock machine, maybe my eyes playing tricks does seem a touch faster on the CD32, although i wiped over the old file to compare them side by side.

btw the strafe FWD/RWD buttons on the CD32 pad are the wrong way round.
Old 24 February 2022, 14:13   #49
Superman

I just redownloaded it with an newer file dated yesterday. Now I’m getting the sound effects constantly repeating as if they are stuck on a loop. It also crashes sometimes when I die or it I try to start the game from demo mode. I have to reset the Amiga to get out of it.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Superman; 24 February 2022 at 14:25.
Old 24 February 2022, 14:14   #50
VincentGR

Quote:
I just redownloaded it with an newer file dated yesterday. Now I’m getting the sound effects constantly repeating as if they are stuck on a loop. It also crashes sometimes when I die and I have to reset the Amiga to get out of it.
Exactly, this also happens to me on the real thing (030/50)
Old 24 February 2022, 17:56   #51
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Just tried the update, the music and sfx play ok even on stock machine, maybe my eyes playing tricks does seem a touch faster on the CD32, although i wiped over the old file to compare them side by side.

btw the strafe FWD/RWD buttons on the CD32 pad are the wrong way round.
It's possible that it's faster, I made a couple small tweaks since. For the forward and reverse buttons, you mean that their order is worng? If so I can swap them Reverse is button 4 and Forward is button 5.

Quote:
I just redownloaded it with an newer file dated yesterday. Now I’m getting the sound effects constantly repeating as if they are stuck on a loop. It also crashes sometimes when I die or it I try to start the game from demo mode. I have to reset the Amiga to get out of it.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentGR View Post
Exactly, this also happens to me on the real thing (030/50)
I have no clue what causes the sound effects to get stuck for you, I just tried it on a "fastest possible" WinUAE config, and it doesn't happen for me. I did clean up the sound code a bit since, so maybe I fixed this issue too. We'll see in the next version.
Old 24 February 2022, 19:16   #52
VincentGR

Yes, that was the reason I used a mod and not the game's sound in my video :-)
Old 24 February 2022, 20:22   #53
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I see, I had no idea that's why you didn't use the game's audio in your video. We'll see if the new test version is any better, if not I'll drop you a PM.
Speaking of the new version, I added a simple automap to the game, it can be opened with the F1 key. It used to be the "boss key" in the retail versions showing the fake DOS prompt. The existing save games are compatible, but the areas explored before this feature was added won't show up on the map.
I also adapted the patcher from Blake Stone, now the following versions of the game can be patched: Apogee 1.2, Apogee 1.4, Mindscape (id Software) 1.4. If you have any other version, let me know.
Old 24 February 2022, 20:36   #54
Amigajay

Quote:
For the forward and reverse buttons, you mean that their order is worng? If so I can swap them Reverse is button 4 and Forward is button 5.
Yep, when you press the left shoulder button you strafe to the right and vice versa.
Old 24 February 2022, 20:39   #55
Superman

Trying the updated version now. Looks like it may take a while to start though as I’m already 5 minutes or so in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B66EE228-C9C8-4C04-920D-C10E37C8FA23.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	74809  
Old 24 February 2022, 20:55   #56
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Yep, when you press the left shoulder button you strafe to the right and vice versa.
Huh, I didn't even know you can do that. I'll have a look at this.

Quote:
Trying the updated version now. Looks like it may take a while to start though as I’m already 5 minutes or so in.
Yeah, that'll take a while. If you don't care about the music you can abort the conversion there, but I recommend deleting incomplete music files in that case.
I wonder if there's a faster OPL emulator out there, but so far MAME's synth looks to be the fastest.
Old 24 February 2022, 21:00   #57
Superman

Quote:
Huh, I didn't even know you can do that. I'll have a look at this.

Yeah, that'll take a while. If you don't care about the music you can abort the conversion there, but I recommend deleting incomplete music files in that case.
I wonder if there's a faster OPL emulator out there, but so far MAME's synth looks to be the fastest.
I’m not sure how to abort it. It currently on music 3/26 and if I click the top left button it closes the window but a new one pops right up.
Old 24 February 2022, 21:24   #58
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Just press CTRL-C and it should stop the program.
Old 24 February 2022, 21:39   #59
Superman

Ok I managed to get it running but the sound issue and freezing is still happening to me on real hardware. Strange as I can run it ok on WinUAE.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 February 2022, 23:02   #60
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Do you use a different version of Kickstart/Workbench on your machine? Maybe try running it without startup-sequence after SetPatch.