English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 September 2021, 21:40   #21
Viceroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Found it! Quickstart > Host Default config selects WASAPI: Default Audio Device as the default option.

I got it again when creating a stock A1200 config from Quickstart for testing for a friend. Changing to DSOUND or OpenAL fixes it.

WASAPI has an exclusive mode which may or may not play nice with modern gaming headsets. (The FPS is fine if I restart WinUAE after switching to another modern external USB card and still use WASAPI. Both devices work perfectly in all games and applications in Windows.)

When this happens and the FPS careens, you also get no sound except random clicks. Guess: Could it be you get many error messages that make the code skip to the wrong place and therefore skip the emulation of "Amiga-frames per second"?
This is exactly the issue I've been reporting with "Aladdin [AGA]" and as mentioned; the fix was to change to Direct Sound.

I think Toni needs to work out why WASAPI is now creating issues in the latest betas...
Old 08 September 2021, 21:51   #22
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
This is exactly the issue I've been reporting with "Aladdin [AGA]" and as mentioned; the fix was to change to Direct Sound.

I think Toni needs to work out why WASAPI is now creating issues in the latest betas...
I am quite sure this thread is not about any betas but last official or previous versions. Don't make this even more confusing.
Old 09 September 2021, 22:22   #23
Photon

Thx Toni. I actually was about to go to this thread to post this:
I think this problem in OP is a bad/random default sound driver selection from Quickstart, and one that might not be saved with the configuration properly.

I still check (every time) what that audio driver is used after loading each configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Sorry but I don't think I still understand what are you trying to do and whats the exact problem. First it was about vsync and now it isn't anymore?
Others (and maybe you a little bit) have been trying to make it about Vsync, but from my side, it never has been because I know how windowed applications behave on my PC.

The same too high FPS as in OP can be observed if WinUAE is set to (Vertical sync) "Use the 3D application setting" in GPU drivers, so this should remove it from the menu completely.

Quote:
Traditional vsync and WASAPI isn't fully stable, it is already known because there are two sync sources (emulator needs to follow both display refresh and sound). There is some possible solution(s) but last year or so has been mainly chipset rewrite, no time for other things... And VRR solves it automatically anyway.
I think it's about the audio driver and nothing else. 'Buy a different monitor' is a ... cheeky solution (especially for laptop owners?) VRR 'solution' increases motion blur by lowering the framerate.

Quote:
Do you mean you have to use 100Hz because your monitor requires it for BFI? (If yes, please explain it in first post, this is very important detail! and quite rare)
No, 100 is just evenly divisible by 50. Most monitors owned by users are completely incapable of 50Hz or 100Hz defaulting to 60Hz, which is horrible for all emulators (except arcades which are mostly 60Hz, and NTSC ofc). A not too old monitor can still use 100Hz with a custom created profile. This one does 100 and 120 over high end DP cable with no custom profiles.

100Hz means at least all emulators are stutter XOR tearing free. A monitor with hardware BFI is just a welcome bonus for CRT emulation for all moving objects on screen.

Again, I want to say neither the higher Hz (there are 360Hz monitors...) or GPU driver settings are at play for my problem.

Now I know about it, so I can check my configuration's audio driver setting and correct it.

So I'm sure I put all pertinent information in the first post.
Old 11 September 2021, 11:49   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I think this problem in OP is a bad/random default sound driver selection from Quickstart, and one that might not be saved with the configuration properly.
Quickstart only selects Amiga hardware config. Everything else is and has always been user's choice. Either it comes from manually loaded config or default.uae (if it exists) or it is Windows default sound driver (if no configs).

Quote:
Most monitors owned by users are completely incapable of 50Hz or 100Hz defaulting to 60H
I don't think so. Most HDMI full HD and higher resolution displays since over 10 years ago are both 50Hz and 60Hz capable.

Almost all VRR monitors have supported frequency range from about less than 50Hz to 75Hz+. (up to 200Hz+ in high end models)

Unless you have special monitor (like yours) or very large monitor (or a laptop and you want to use internal display), updating to "gaming" monitor is not expensive. It is much simpler and quicker to buy an VRR monitor than to tweak system to get stable traditional vsync. At least as long as you also have compatible video card.

Anyway, I can't really fix this because windowed vsync behavior depends on used Windows version (and almost certainly video drivers too) and I am not going to install old windows versions (except in VM but VM and vsync does not really match) and having version dependent hacks are annoying. Debugging will be also a nightmare because every user will have different problems..

Which is my recommendation (and has been for a few years):

Fullscreen vsync: should (almost) always work, low latency mode also available.
Window vsync: get a VRR monitor if you want non-jittery scrolling, also this mode usually has less latency than normal windowed/vsync windowed.