English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 August 2004, 01:28   #1
Pokemoz

Again sync problems with sound in video

Hiho 8)

First posting here and it's about an old bug in WINUAE I think.

I just downloaded the version 0.9.90 of WINUAE and got the same soundproblems in several demos.

I try to capture them as a video and I tried nearly every codec. The sound is out of sync

So I tried some variations in sampling rate and framerate and still got the same problem.

So...I checked the old threads in this forum. I tried the solution with a lower samplerate but no change in the result. My question is now:

I a version of WINUAE working properly in capturing demos to videos without a sync loss?
There is something mentioned about a "fix" but nothing special.

Of course there are some versions of Desert Dream downloadable in the web but the quality is poor and I like to capture in a really good quality.

Tried nearly everything

I'm working with:

Athlon 1800+
WinXP
512MB
Radeon 9600

Emulator settings:

68000 CPU
Full ECS (OCS or ECS Agnus makes shows difference)
512 Chip, 512 slow
Kick 1.3
Resolution 640*512
Vsync on
Center hor/ver on
correct aspect ratio
lines doubled
FPS 50
Sound 44.1KHz, 16BIT, Stereo 100% Accurate
Timing A500

Can someone help me in this issue?

Thanks a lot and many greetings

Pokemoz

Old 07 August 2004, 03:36   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Hi.. I guess I am the resident AVI Ripper on here so here goes

Firstly I have not tried with the latest version yet, but here are some tips with older versions (which should work with the latest too!)

try using uncompressed frames, and set the screen res to 1:1 Amiga (352x288 is a good size..) If you want to resize later do-so in Virtualdub or whatever as it allows filtering

Now regarding the sync problem itself..

Does the video start in sync and then slowly go out of sync?

I have ripped over 50 Intros/Demos etc and generally everything is in sync, and works fine (I do process in VDub after)

If you want any specific demos ripping let me know and I'll do them for you (as long as there isn't a shitload of editing to do, State of the art took me ages to cut, properly centre and then rejoin so it looked perfect!!)

Finally may I suggest you read my DemoDVD Thread
Old 30 November 2004, 03:30   #3
trance007

Unhappy

Hi,

About one year ago, I also experienced problem ripping Desert Dream => sound getting out of sync at one point of the demo.

Ripping in 1:1 low res solved the problem, but each time I tryed to rip the demo in high resolution quality, sound was getting out of sync.

The problem is that one part of this demo (the dots section) use high resolution, so the 1:1 lowres is not a perfect workaround.

Actually, the problem does not exactly lie on the sound.
If you compare the lowres version with the highres version, in the "scrolling text" section, you will notice that there are more pictures rendered in the highres version than in the lowres version.
About 2 times more, which is not normal.

I am sure this is a bug in WinUAE, and I really hope it will be fixed in the future.

For Desert Dream, I never find a solution.
I finally did a rip in lowres (perfectly synced), and an other in highres (out of sync), and dubbed the highres part over my lowres recording, using VirtualDub.

If developper is interested to get some precise details about the rendering problem (such as exact point in the demo), or need a copy of both avi recording, just let me know.
I would be happy to help, as long as this bug will be fixed.

Old 30 November 2004, 10:43   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hmm.. Maybe interlaced frames are incorrectly recorded in hires-mode. That would explain doubled frames. (but is that part in interlace? I can't test just now..)

EDIT: scrolling part is interlaced but it looks like WinUAE only records every other frame if doubling is enabled in interlaced screens, not 2x the frames.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 30 November 2004 at 20:50.
Old 05 December 2004, 11:46   #5
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

My recommended method to record hires is to use a 720x288 (720x240 for NTSC) window, and use normal scan. Then use a small AviSynth script to set the field order and weave the individual fields into 25fps frames. I've had best results using top field first, but your results may vary, and I haven't actually burnt my test recordings to DVD. The basic script I've been using is this:

AVISource("demo-hh_1.avi")+AVISource("demo-hh_2.avi")
AssumeTFF()
Weave()

And since TMPGEnc directly supports .avs files, it's easy to do without eating up enormous amounts of hard drive space (at least half of the size it would be if I needed to render an interim AVI).

The only possible problem would be if the field order is wrong for interlaced material. If this is the case, change TFF to BFF in the script, and add an AviSynth command to trim off the first frame before AssumeBFF (I forget the exact command off the top of my head, but it's easily found in the AviSynth docs).

I have also modified this technique to work with the NES, C64, SNES, and soon Genesis emulators that have AVI output. My aim is to develop the perfect method for preserving content from classic consoles and computers on DVD.

Last edited by LocalH; 05 December 2004 at 11:52.
Old 15 December 2004, 23:20   #6
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
scrolling part is interlaced but it looks like WinUAE only records every other frame if doubling is enabled in interlaced screens, not 2x the frames.
That sounds like the issue, then. During non-lace screens it's recording 50fps in PAL, but with lace it's recording 25fps. Thus, those 25fps frames will end up playing back at 50fps and screwing the sync.