English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 July 2007, 16:30   #1
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Question Troubles installing Debian on Amiga 3000

I've downloaded and burnt on cd the latest debian distribution for 68k (3.1r6) and I'm trying to install it on my A3000T (CS MK3, 060).

The cd drive is connected to the on-board scsi controller, the hard disk is connected to the CS' scsi controller.
Once the installation script has started and I'm through the first basis steps, the installer looks for possible places to install the OS.

Here's the problem: the installer only looks for peripherals connected to the on-board controller and, since there is none but the cd, stops the installation process stating that there is no suitable place to install to.

Before I open the 3000 and connect the cd to the CS' controller, do you know any way I can tell the installer to search for the CS' controller? On the debian documentation is known to be supported.

Thank you in advance!
Old 03 July 2007, 17:08   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
you may need the latest compiled kernel. if you downloaded a cd image, they usually don't contain the latest kernels. Also I'ld suggest you try the debian-68k mailing list. It's quite active and people are helpful.
Old 03 July 2007, 17:42   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Could you let me know where you got the downlaod from please...
Old 03 July 2007, 21:38   #4
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Could you let me know where you got the downlaod from please...
Here it is!

Ciao,
Luca
Old 03 July 2007, 21:41   #5
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze
you may need the latest compiled kernel. if you downloaded a cd image, they usually don't contain the latest kernels. Also I'ld suggest you try the debian-68k mailing list. It's quite active and people are helpful.
Thanks for the hint.
I thought the included kernel already supported the CS' controller, since it's enlisted among the supported ones... Do you know where to get the latest kernel?
Old 03 July 2007, 21:48   #6
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I really dunno. I just popped into their mailing list and asked them why the debian install didn't see my warp engine scsi controller. and then somebody sent me a kernel but I have been too lazy to make a new cd. You should check the mailing list.
Old 04 July 2007, 00:18   #7
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Small update: connecting the cd-rom drive to the CyberStorm controller made no difference, since the kernel image is first loaded in ram and afterwards only the built-in scsi controller is found. I have just posted on the debian mailing list as well, hopefully somebody can help. Google did not prove useful as well...
Old 04 July 2007, 12:09   #8
OddbOd

I've been looking around for the past hour or so and can't find any evidence that the Mk III's on-board controller (NCR/SymBIOS Logic 53c770) is supported by the Linux kernel, the add-on boards for the CS Mk I/II are based on a different controller and are supported. This newsgroup post might give a more definite answer, I don't speak German so I can't follow it
Old 05 July 2007, 13:34   #9
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Thumbs down

OddbOd, your post was really helpful, thanks a lot.
I've read the newsgroup post you mentioned and many others. The situation is as follows:

- The Cyberstorm MKIII is supported only for what concerns CPU and Ram. Its scsi controller is NOT supported and will never be.
- Although, typing 'make menuconfig', there is an option to choose the one on the MKIII among a list of scsi controllers, this has never been supported and, at some point in time, somebody also purposed to remove the 'fake' option.

Since I'm not willing to install another hard drive and connect it to the on-board scsi controller of the 3000, my linux experience with the Amiga 3000 seems to prematurely end here...

This brings me once again to the conclusion that an Amiga should nowadays be used just as an Amiga as mother Commodore produced til 1994, with maybe a few hw and sw updates that fix, expand or improve the base functionalities. No ppc, no linux, no exotic os whatsoever...
Amen.
Old 05 July 2007, 18:48   #10
OddbOd

I'm guessing somebody intended to port the 53c770 driver from BSD to Linux but only got as far as the Makefile entry, it would still be worth trying NetBSD, at least it really does support your CS board and has very low system requirements.

Maybe a project for a rainy day, oh that's right it's summer in the northern hemisphere