English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amix

Old 20 January 2018, 15:21   #1
Noth

Ongoing: repackaging of amix.failsure.net files to SYSVR4 packages

Title says it all. I got fed up with the lackadaisical repetition when having to (re)install an AMIX image of editing files and untarring stuff with no proper tracking of what's where. So I got back into repackaging just in time for amix.failsure.net to be down for the day.

The pkg* tools are actually quite good, properly documented with example scripts available on the Web, and allow for pre and post install script running. Now I can use ksh as my shell without having to retype stuff or whatever, right out of the box once the amix-postinstall package is installed. I currently get the files over via ftp, since that's somewhat reliable, but that does means configuring the network interface manually just once.

My amix-postintall.0.1.m68k.pkg.tar.gz should be untarred to /tmp, then just run
Code:
pkgadd -d $PWD
to install. It sets up networking properly for use in WinUAE/FS-UAE, gets you ksh setup with a decent prompt for root and user noth (you can modify all this) including history when used in xterm. It also deletes from /etc/rc2.d the scripts that take up ram for nothing, links from /etc/init.d my netstart script that sets up aen0, and adds then runs the Y2K patched setclk in /sbin so your clock is ok. BTW, at install, do set a date sometime in the 90s, not 1970. 1970 seems to screw some stuff up.

All further packages should also be untarred to /tmp so they don't suck up space in /var/spool/pkg and you can just the pkgadd add them all to the OS in /usr/local . The exception to that may be when I repackage gcc-2.4 so it's not in the way of 2.7.2.3 (my dl'd package from the failsure site appears to be corrupted, need to do that again).

All of this is available on the EAB file server in ~Uploads/Noth . You know what to do.

In other news I've found a site+cd about Xview and Open Look stuff, which is why I'm rebuilding my system images from scratch so they're ready for the task of trying to at all manage to compile some actual OpenLook apps. Who knows, something might actually work... Have a horrible feeling not even X11R5 will be enough though. All current efforts are at getting the OS ready with X11R4, before I go back at messing with R5.

FS-UAE users, you may find you're working in xterm in X11 just because we don't have slirp portforwarding (yet?). It's sooooo much easier being able to login remotely and be able to copypaste at will the normal way. Plus FTP access of course.

If you have any (commandline) apps you're really really missing, leave me an answer in this thread (with link to the tarball) and I'll see what I can do.

Output from my current 2.1p2a system's package manager:

Code:
root@amix:/tmp # pkginfo
system      Cdev           C Development system
archivers   GNUgzip        GNU gzip 1.3.5
archivers   GNUtar         GNUtar 1.14
system      Xbasic         X Window System basic components
system      Xcore          X Window System essential components
system      Xdev           X Window System development tools
system      Xsource        X window source code - X11R4
system      Xtras          X extras
system.esse amix           AMIX essential postinstall
system      bsd            Berkeley compatiblity package
archivers   bzip2          bzip2 1.0.2
system      conf           Kernel configuration package
system      core           Amiga Unix essential components
utils       findutils      findutils 4.1
lang        gcc            gcc 2.7
utilities   grep           grep 2.0
tools       make           make 3.62
system      man            On-line manual pages
system      net            Networking commands and daemons
system      olcore         Open Look
system      oldev          Open Look development tools
tools       patch          patch 2.5.9
lang        perl           perl
system      public         Shareware and public domain utilities
netutils    rsync          rsync 2.6.3
system      sysadm         System administration utility
system      terminfo       Support for non-Amiga terminals
system      text           Text processing tools
netutils    wget           wget 1.3.5
P.S.: Your /etc/vfstab will be updated to automount the /dev/dsk/c6d0s4 partition to /home, if you have one. You might want to ajust that if you don't have one or are used to mounting it elsewhere.

Last edited by Noth; 22 January 2018 at 12:08. Reason: forgot something
Old 20 January 2018, 15:45   #2
idrougge

I didn't know Amix had a package manager.
Old 20 January 2018, 15:50   #3
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I didn't know Amix had a package manager.
It's not so much Amix as UNIX SYSVR4 does. So Atari UNIX does too, as does Solaris and a zillion ports to business platforms we've all forgotten about. Allows you to specify license, version, what runlevel(s) to run at, and quite a few other things. I need to work out dependencies though, because gzip is kind of the first thing you need in there if you're not gunzip'ing my packages before you upload em to your image.

http://https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/p....packages.html has proven most useful.
Old 21 January 2018, 00:52   #4
Noth

Quick update to the amix-postinstall package: added a modified /etc/termcap file so it takes xterm-256-color into account. screen, vi, etc will no longer moan about unknown terminal.
Old 21 January 2018, 13:15   #5
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Huge thumbs up for your efforts Noth

This postinstall-package is just what is direly needed; the whole routine of installing and doing all the patching is a pain, especially when you accidently bork the system and have to do it yet again. The xterm-256-color is a real nice little detail.

Noth, I have the gcc-2.4.5.cpio.bz2 from amix.failsure, and I just tested that I was able to extract it so it appears Ok. If you still need it I can send it to you.
Old 22 January 2018, 08:04   #6
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga_CDTV View Post
Huge thumbs up for your efforts Noth

This postinstall-package is just what is direly needed; the whole routine of installing and doing all the patching is a pain, especially when you accidently bork the system and have to do it yet again. The xterm-256-color is a real nice little detail.

Noth, I have the gcc-2.4.5.cpio.bz2 from amix.failsure, and I just tested that I was able to extract it so it appears Ok. If you still need it I can send it to you.
It's been a long time coming but it was worth making, Ideally we need to get it into the patch disk or something, or even better update the tape image to have all the postinstall steps on it so you start with a turnkey system. I reckon it's doable.

For gcc-2.4, could you upload it in The Zone or the ftp server please? Cheers!
Old 22 January 2018, 16:39   #7
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

gcc-2.4.5 zoned!

As long as the patches fit to a floppy image, a separate patch disk might be a nice approach. It would also work nicely for the real machines (except for the network settings). Also a new tape image with additional package would be nice, person installing could go with the original version or +upgrades version.
Old 22 January 2018, 20:03   #8
Noth

Thanks, just downloaded it.

I tested quickly converting a pkg to cpio format and adding to my tape directory, it didn't appear when trying to do an install. I guess a tape with updated OS components + the postinstall stuff could be done quite easilyish (in AMIX, always expect the unexpected... I couldn't untar a damn thing today).

It breaks down to using the full list of changes and applying them OS package by OS package, then rebuilding a tape. The problem for me is I haven't broken the format exactly, since some of the larger bits are gz, but I can't tell what bit tells the installer that. Then again cpio (not my favourite tool) might just ignore and autodecompress gz stuff. Yet more trial and error to do.

SCRATCH THAT.

Package 00 contains a List file and a Version file. List contains one line per package, including info on whether it's compressed or not with gz. Let's see if I can make the amixpkg command install my postinstall archive. Slight issue, it needs to know the size... And I'm having trouble getting that precisely. To be continued...

Last edited by Noth; 22 January 2018 at 21:35. Reason: eureka!