English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 February 2013, 02:19   #1
Leandro Jardim

Adjustable size for masks

Hi Toni,

I had big fun with my Amiga 500 connected to a CRT TV, that was in the nineties, and now that I found WinUAE I always try to use it with any sorts of settings to make it feels like that old configuration.

Today WinUAE has a PAL filter very similar to that of VICE (a big thank you for this!) and I use it with one of the special masks downloadable from your site. It ressembles the limitations and peculiarities of the display device that I used, and I have much, much fun with it.

The only problem is that when I run WinUAE in fullscreen, the Amiga screen pixels are scaled while the mask is not in the necessary proportions. This is a problem for high-res interlaced pixels, that is just what I use in Workbench all time.

The result is that there is a very big loss of brightness in the image and loss of perceived resolution, which is already small, since we are dealing with pixels scaled to match analog resolutions.

I and everyone that does the same as me, would benefit much if WinUAE allowed the adjustment of the size of the mask and the alpha value of the picture that is used to fill and blend the screen. Another peculiarity are rounded display corners, as you said that would like to try, would be nice too.

Dont be afraid if it will not look "perfect", after all, the entire video-game era started with games with blocky images and noisy sound, and it was fun for everyone. And even today, its not perfect! It doesnt need to be perfect to ressemble something or to be fun.

But the main interested is you.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 15 February 2013 at 03:17.
Old 15 February 2013, 18:33   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Masks probably also need "before" and "after" update but unfortunately this won't be as easy as recent shader "before"/"after" update.

Alpha comes from mask, just edit it with some alpha-capable image editor
Old 16 February 2013, 05:02   #3
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Masks probably also need "before" and "after" update but unfortunately this won't be as easy as recent shader "before"/"after" update.

Alpha comes from mask, just edit it with some alpha-capable image editor
Thanks, Toni, I think that will not be necessary. Maybe I should use another mask or make my own. Its simpler.