English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 25 October 2021, 14:55   #1
DisasterIncarna

Intuition closing error...

I am in the process of making a workbench install that works/adapts to real hardware and emulated (FS-UAE- Pi400/WINUAE - Windows machines), everything "was" working well, until i installed Toolmanager3, it just up and crashed all the time, so I installed ToolManager2 instead, zero issues at all, changing screenmode/etc all worked fine.

Then much later after installing other things i tried a few different dock type programs, PolyNetNG looked ok, so tried that, set it up ok, got it working but I would get an intuition error when changing screenmode, asking me to "close window < NULL >" (and NULL seems to be the dock window), I made sure i had screennotify.library installed as this is meant to prevent that kinda thing but no luck, had to disable polynet and go back to toolmanager 2, however now my once perfectly working toolmanager2 is also giving the same error message on screenmode changes.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? quick vid included below showing my current issue (happens on emulation and real hardware)

https://youtu.be/F7uO90XtcQI?t=3

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 25 October 2021 at 16:03.
Old 25 October 2021, 21:29   #2
Thomas Richter

Technically, this message (hopefully to be improved by the Os tieam) means that some program is holding a lock on the workbench screen, and it cannot be closed for this reason.
Old 25 October 2021, 21:34   #3
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Technically, this message (hopefully to be improved by the Os tieam) means that some program is holding a lock on the workbench screen, and it cannot be closed for this reason.
Yeah if you watch my video, its when i close toolmanager2 then later polynet ng with exchange when it does refresh properly, thing is their not meant to do this, in fact toolmanager never did this until recently, supposedly screennotify.library fixes this issue but its still happening and im not sure why its happening now when it didnt previously.
Old 26 October 2021, 02:03   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

I don't think it depends on PolyNet, see my attached video, I don't have this problem, I don't know if you are using AfA OS, if you tell me what Os you use I could do some tests.

It could be a MUI problem or some fonts you have set not supported, or some application you have in the WBStartup

http://eab.abime.net/zone/PolyNet.avi

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 October 2021 at 07:59.
Old 26 October 2021, 02:38   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

I noticed that you are using OS 3.2, I quickly did a test and PolyNet on OS 3.2 does not give any problem, see attached video.

http://eab.abime.net/zone/PoliNet-OS3.2.avi

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 October 2021 at 08:03.
Old 26 October 2021, 21:53   #6
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I noticed that you are using OS 3.2, I quickly did a test and PolyNet on OS 3.2 does not give any problem, see attached video.

http://eab.abime.net/zone/PoliNet-OS3.2.avi
I'm Using OS3.2, not using afa, just OS3.2 made up with visualprefs/birdie, and yeah the screen "used" to refresh/update/change properly back when i just used toolmanager2, but then i added more docks to test out and got this intuition issue, and if you check my vid, i run toolmanager and polynet and both cause the error until i use exchange to close them, then the screen works fine, tried disabling all other commodities but that doesnt help, its specifically toolmanager/polynet/any dock that causes the issue.

MUI isnt the issue, tried this without it (toolmanager 2 doesnt even use it anyways), disabled everything in wbstartup with same result, used snoopdos to make sure anything that should be in use is installed/available.

No idea why there wasnt an issue beforehand but there is now, i just dont know what could have caused the change or how to fix it.
Old 26 October 2021, 22:10   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Try to disable WBStartup first and then maybe also user-startup, then check in the Env-Archive if there is any particular save created at the date of the problem's birth.
Old 26 October 2021, 23:33   #8
DisasterIncarna

Tried what you suggested and no luck, then i tried going further with your suggestions, i used a stock/standard startup-sequence and user-startup, and the issue vanished, i then went back to my normal versions and pretty much disabled everything non standard with a comment, again it worked, so i then reactivated the "extra stuff" 1 by 1 until i found my culprit.

It was Birdie, which i found strange tho as when i didnt have my issue i was still running birdie, i went back through a load of startup backups i had until i found why birdie was causing issues. I remember my visualprefs/birdie setup was fine, except that when birdie runs the background of prop gadgets in workbench windows arent black/grey gradiant filled like in my filerequesters/etc, again this was a birdie issue and i recall i tried various birdie/visualprefs settings changes to make the issue go away, best result was the solid black prop gadgets background turning a shade of blue, which isnt what i wanted, and i remember i tried moving where visualprefs/birdie were in my startup sequence to see if it made any difference. (it didnt btw)

This seems to be the issue right here as after this test i did not revert the changes made to my startup-sequence, i only have this intuition closing issue when birdie is loaded before visualprefs (and MCP which uses as few patches as possible), once i dropped birdie down to 1 line above LoadWB the issue with intuition vanishes and visualprefs/birdie/mcp function as expected.

Got there in the end, thanks for the suggestions, even tho i had to go way overboard to track the issue
Old 27 October 2021, 16:26   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

As you could see on my "OS 3.2" video I also use VisulPref+Birdie because AfA OS is incompatible with OS 3.2.

Yes Birdie has some small incompatibilities with OS3.2, I had moved the Birdie command to the user-startup and then made another change on the Skin, now I do not remember well, then everything worked perfectly as shown in the video.
Old 31 October 2021, 00:06   #10
klx300r

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
Yeah if you watch my video, its when i close toolmanager2 then later polynet ng with exchange when it does refresh properly, thing is their not meant to do this, in fact toolmanager never did this until recently, supposedly screennotify.library fixes this issue but its still happening and im not sure why its happening now when it didnt previously.

where the heck can I find screennotify.library?? Is this part of OS3.2?
Old 31 October 2021, 00:21   #11
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
Aminet. No, not part of the OS.
Old 31 October 2021, 00:36   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post

Here you will find two versions of screennotify.library
https://amiga.foul.fr/index.php
Old 31 October 2021, 22:20   #13
klx300r

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Here you will find two versions of screennotify.library
https://amiga.foul.fr/index.php
thanks