English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 03 May 2020, 17:43   #41
spudje

My CD32 setup has a CF with 2 partitions, so imaging it would make more sense. However it contains my commercial X-Bench key. So it need some more actions before imaging is possible. So hope to still do it one of these days.
Old 03 May 2020, 18:11   #42
jotd
This cat is no more

also if game uses whdload and kickstart emulation based games, you can't legally distribute kickstart images. Eternal problem... (even if some probably slipped under the radar, like some of my CD releases )

now with all other files present, it's a piece of cake to mount the card on an emulator and copy the ROMs at the proper location. It's different on a CD-ROM
Old 03 May 2020, 21:52   #43
earok

In the past I've thought about a solution where if you don't have the appropriate ROM, it simply rips the ROM that you do have (the 3.1 CD32 one) and applies a delta patch to generate the A1200/A500 versions?

To be fair, the roms wouldn't be needed for all of the games, just a handful of Whdload ones (and those could possibly be supplanted with native copies), and SimCD32 games like Microcosm etc (if only I could kill CD.device without kicking to the A1200 rom..)
Old 03 May 2020, 23:10   #44
jotd
This cat is no more

we could also adapt kickemu to CD32 3.1 ROM (a lot of work for just a copyright issue, and won't solve kick1.3 problem). The delta between 1.3 and 3.1 is huge anyway... Unsure about legal parts: if you own 3.1 you don't own 1.3
Old 03 May 2020, 23:24   #45
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
we could also adapt kickemu to CD32 3.1 ROM (a lot of work for just a copyright issue, and won't solve kick1.3 problem). The delta between 1.3 and 3.1 is huge anyway... Unsure about legal parts: if you own 3.1 you don't own 1.3
Hmmm..

To be safe, I could just deploy with out it.. it may be some hassle putting those ROMs on, but worth the effort if you really want almost every CD32 game to be HDD installed
Old 04 May 2020, 11:11   #46
earok

Daily update:

125 games verified under emulation, 142 games in total. Very pleased that Beneath a Steel Sky seems to work just fine through SimCD32 (including talkie), though I'm worried there may be some slight audio glitches.

Surprised that it doesn't seem to support the gamepad at all! Even tried the "LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE" hack, and that only causes a crash.
Old 04 May 2020, 11:25   #47
jotd
This cat is no more

mouse-only games rarely support gamepads. They just added voices, forced program to run in chipmem to make sure that it's DARN SLOW on real amigas and shipped.

LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE hack only works for ... Lemmings and also because Lemmings sold 15 million copies.
Old 04 May 2020, 11:50   #48
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
mouse-only games rarely support gamepads. They just added voices, forced program to run in chipmem to make sure that it's DARN SLOW on real amigas and shipped.

LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE hack only works for ... Lemmings and also because Lemmings sold 15 million copies.

LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE also works for Lemmings 2, Lemmings 3, Dune, Dream Web (IIRC) and a handful of other games (not WHDLoad obviously).. it's the same principle that I used for the "virtual mouse function" in CD32Load, basically just write to the JOYTEST register to fake a mouse movement.

.. hey, I actually got it to work on Beneath a Steel Sky now I accidentally used the CDTV trademark rather than the CD32 trademark, which made it crash. It's not very good though, the cursor is very slippery, and I'm 90% sure you can only use the trick on an ISO, not from an HDD.

Last edited by earok; 04 May 2020 at 12:10.
Old 04 May 2020, 13:48   #49
jotd
This cat is no more

ok, sorry, you're the boss!

accident ... or maybe luck owing to a lot of work.

Using CDTV TM makes the console run in ECS. Means no AGA (when using the system!), caches off. You can try to enable the caches back for instance (using just CPU command). That may get you some speed back.

That's a complete different art from whdload that you're doing, an almost lost art.
Old 05 May 2020, 12:56   #50
earok

I normally use CDTV TM and setpatch to re-enable AGA stuff, basically to avoid the additional few seconds of loading time from the spinning CD animation.

====

Daily update. Up to 150 games from the CD32 library - which is to say, almost all of them except for a handful I can't get to work under the emulated environment. I'll do a handful more tomorrow, then upload the Phase 1 draft release

As before, the list of what I've done with extensive notes is at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 05 May 2020, 13:36   #51
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post

.. hey, I actually got it to work on Beneath a Steel Sky now I accidentally used the CDTV trademark rather than the CD32 trademark, which made it crash. It's not very good though, the cursor is very slippery, and I'm 90% sure you can only use the trick on an ISO, not from an HDD.
Which is funny because BASS requires the cd32.tm to run on the CD32!
Old 06 May 2020, 11:27   #52
earok

Daily update -

"Phase 1" (strictly CD32 related games) is done, though it's going to take awhile to upload to Mega (there's also bandwidth limits that could be a pain).

Final games count was 156 games, and that nearly filled up the 4GB partition by itself - I had to delete all of the Impossible Mission CDXL animations (not working anyway) to make it fit. For future phases, I'll likely put OCS and AGA games on the second partition.

The image is missing the kickstart roms, and it'll warn if they're not there. I'll make sure to include some rudimentary instructions for installing them.

Giving it a quick test right now on the real CD32, seems to work pretty well!
Old 06 May 2020, 16:28   #53
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I still remember when I first tried to get a response about Lemmings CDTV mouse support all those years ago I sent PMs to Various people who had CD32s and got responses like Yes it does, No it doesn't, I don't know. eventually I made a thread about it and Earok cracked it.
Old 08 May 2020, 11:03   #54
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
I still remember when I first tried to get a response about Lemmings CDTV mouse support all those years ago I sent PMs to Various people who had CD32s and got responses like Yes it does, No it doesn't, I don't know. eventually I made a thread about it and Earok cracked it.
I didn't know about the LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE thing until Psygore pointed it out to me. Up until that point, I was totally confused as to why a Lemmings CD32 ISO would have a working gamepad cursor, but if I made my own ISO that was file-for-file identical, it wouldn't recognise the gamepad. I didn't even think to check the volume name.

Having a bit of problem with the upload, I'll try it again tonight.
Old 09 May 2020, 01:57   #55
earok

Phase 1 is posted, download and such is on the first post.
Old 09 May 2020, 11:30   #56
Gordon
Settler

This is great news thanks. I don’t have 8gb cf to test, any chance of a 4 in future? I guess Simon on its own would takes almost a quarter of 4gb!
Old 09 May 2020, 22:18   #57
spudje

Cool Earok!!

Can you mount an image created with a tool like Win32DiskImager in WinUAE? Then, if you're still interested I can rip my X-Bench setup and then remove the key file via WinUAE.
Old 10 May 2020, 00:14   #58
jotd
This cat is no more

I didn't test, but since you can mount hard drives, CF cards and hd images, you probably can mount images of CF cards.
Old 10 May 2020, 03:46   #59
earok

Hey guys.

Well hey, you can mount the image in WinUAE. I did not expect that. You'll still want to put your own kickstarts on the image somehow (you could mount the image as a second hard drive, and use workbench or similar to copy them across).

Basically just set the startup to CD32, increase fast ram to 8mb, and drag the image on to WinUAE.

---

It's an 8GB image with two equal partitions, but only one partition actually has anything on it. Which is to say, yes - you can use a 4GB CF card if you wish, but it'll be up to you to copy everything from the 4GB partition on the image across to your 4GB card.

You'll also want to use the PFS filesystem, FFS is extremely slow when used with the games that use SimCD32 (Simon the Sorcerer, Microcosm etc).
Old 10 May 2020, 11:46   #60
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Well done Earok.
Mountin the .img in Winuae is really great. I didn't know it was possible with this file extension.
The menu is classic & efficient.
I'll check how i can add some games to the menu
I'll try to make a dual boot with your menu for CD32 games & TinyLauncher for the other Whdload Games & demos. It will be perfect

Thanks!