English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 28 January 2018, 15:17   #41
MSuomi

Hello, all. Bought CD32 last summer, never had any Amiga earlier

Anyway, it came with one of those horrible Polish gamepads (B432 Boomerang) and to put it kindly... Playing any game with that is horrible

I happened to find, that Paul was still selling his PSX-adapter, so I bought one. I'm just not going to pay something like 100€ for a gamepad (Honey Bee) for a retro machine (payed it for Xbone's Elite-controller, though...)

Firstly I burned those great compilations of the great people here, to test my CD32. On some I had problems with that Boomerang, so that it instantly (randomly) started some game from compilations and it has so horrible buttons and pad, that one cannot really play with it at all, realistically.

Now, when I got the Paul's adapter, it's very nice. Though now trying this Turrican Anthology, I cannot get the Beam to work. It seems like there would be an autofire on (it isn't). Can I safely assume, that it's an problem with the adapter and the implementation on how these controls are "hacked" in this fine collection? Also, I couldn't get the quit-funtion to work at all (GREEN+YELLOW+FORWARD+REVERSE).

I tested the collection with Boomerang and there it works properly, though still, you cannot play any game with that thing ;D

Maybe I one day find a nice controller (at a proper price) that would work with most of the games xD

Old 28 January 2018, 18:22   #42
amigoun

I think those PSX-adapters (I do not know which one you are speaking of) are most likely the cause. As far as I know they are not perfect at CD32 buttons emulation (timing issue).
Old 28 January 2018, 18:31   #43
spudje

I assume you know you can switch modes with the psx adapter? http://www.kipper2k.com/PSX-Adapter.pdf
Old 28 January 2018, 20:11   #44
MSuomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I assume you know you can switch modes with the psx adapter? http://www.kipper2k.com/PSX-Adapter.pdf

Yes, I do

I actually have a gaming history from the times of Spectrum/C64 and been working as service technician on Nokia monitors and mobile phones etc. So I'm interested even in more technical solutions, if needed...

Though, it seems that finding one of those Honey Bee-pads, would be the best solution...
I kind of guessed, that the problem with these adapters would be the non-accurate timing... Just thought to ask from those, who have more knowledge on Amiga hardware and peripherals.

And that's exactly the adapter, that I have.

P.S. This seems also interesting
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AmiArcade...T/111305116419

Last edited by MSuomi; 30 January 2018 at 11:52. Reason: Add info about CD32 controller board

Old 02 February 2018, 18:35   #45
MSuomi

Regarding the price of the controllers...
Just... Really? Why would anyone pay that, for a friggin' controller xD
This is total lunacy, says I!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...D/253353614022

Old 30 April 2018, 00:45   #46
o-leif

Is there any news/updates with respect to whdload versions of the Turrican games with the cd32 controls enabled? Would be truly awesome.
Old 22 October 2018, 21:09   #47
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-leif View Post
Is there any news/updates with respect to whdload versions of the Turrican games with the cd32 controls enabled? Would be truly awesome.

*bump*

Nobody? I know the long+slow jump mechanics in Turrican 1 and 2 work somehow better with a stick. But i retired all my CP sticks (except for Sensible Soccer) and full CD32 controls for all weapons too would be nice.
Old 23 March 2019, 22:20   #48
xubidoo

tried running it on my expanded cd32 , and after intro it stops and gives error along lines of ,this game can only be played on a stock cd32

any chance of this being fixed? as i would love to play this with proper cd32 controls.

Old 15 May 2019, 20:22   #49
Ahavasi

I tried this on my Amiga 1200 with idefix emulator, no luck, same error message.
I would really like to play this with a cd32 controller too.. Is there a way?

Old 16 May 2019, 18:50   #50
Wachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSuomi View Post
Yes, I do

I actually have a gaming history from the times of Spectrum/C64 and been working as service technician on Nokia monitors and mobile phones etc. So I'm interested even in more technical solutions, if needed...

Though, it seems that finding one of those Honey Bee-pads, would be the best solution...
I kind of guessed, that the problem with these adapters would be the non-accurate timing... Just thought to ask from those, who have more knowledge on Amiga hardware and peripherals.

And that's exactly the adapter, that I have.

P.S. This seems also interesting
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AmiArcade...T/111305116419
Hello, I have one built with this plate,
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=arcade
but if you want something at a good price and working very well.
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...pad-(assembled)
Old 16 May 2019, 19:27   #51
Wachi

Old 19 May 2019, 07:02   #52
NeoHippie2016
Freak

@wachi: is the Premiere CD32 Picture also from you, Sir?
Old 19 May 2019, 07:46   #53
Wachi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippie2016 View Post
@wachi: is the Premiere CD32 Picture also from you, Sir?
Yes

Last edited by Wachi; 19 May 2019 at 07:58.
Old 02 August 2020, 19:23   #54
Sgt Jack V

In my opinion, I think having Jump mapped to Blue is stupidly impractical because if forces you to put your right thumb in a very awkward position to hold down fire and be able to jump quickly.

Here's my ideal control scheme for the four colored face buttons:

Red - Jump

Green - Fire

Blue - Power Lines

Yellow - Grenades

Keep the Wheel on reverse though, I like that.