English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 December 2010, 23:08   #1
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Post Alien Breed 2 & Tower Assault

Hi!
Some time ago I finished Alien Breed 2 on my CD32 and it was rather hard. Then I started playing Tower Assault and thought "hey! this is a much nicer game. aliens don't rush your ass as they do in the prequel and you get to explore places more nicely." great! or...

Alas, as this falsey feeling was shot down on the later levels. The programmers and gametesters really have had their brain mushed somewhere! The game's really hard! And utterly unfair in many places, especially the timed self-destruct levels where a step in the wrong direction would mean game over! What were they thinking making this game?? Once i made through 4-5 timed self-destruct levels and STILL didn't get a continue code. Now that's direct spitting on a players face!

Anyway I pushed through this while grinding my teeth and pulling my hair. I just had to finish this game, it was the last one of the 2D Breed series game that I hadn't still completed
Old 27 December 2010, 23:28   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

It' somewhat easier than other parts because you can walk backward when shooting forward. And no helicopters or meteors.
Old 27 December 2010, 23:35   #3
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

TA was easier on the starting levels but as you advanced it became too much a battle against the clock, not to mention that you REALLY need the best weapon (costing 80000 credits!) to be able to survive and finish the game. This in 1-player mode that I played it.

Sure Breed 2 gave you some resistance but you could well slash the alien scum with the homing rocket weapon and buy extra lives (not possibe in TA). I won't even mention the radioactive rooms
Old 28 December 2010, 10:08   #4
mailman
Zone Friend

TA is more challenging but still it's better than AB2. There are many reasons for that. Money is not such an issue. You need to look for hidden rooms. Some time ago I wrote a tutorial how to complete the game. There are codes to every single level, there are explanations what should you do, where are the extra lives and hidden places. I also managed to select different routes to finish the game with a description which one is easy, medium or difficult (there are 276 routes in the whole game!). The tutorial is here. It is in Polish but I hope you will have no difficulties in spotting the level codes and at the end of the text there are the routes I recommend to take (the fifth one is the easiest).
Old 28 December 2010, 11:44   #5
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Could you do an English translation one day mailman??

The first level was always my favourite as its the one seems the most fair. The levels I really hated was the dark levels where you could only see the aliens blue eyes and you have a torch which doesn't help you see shit! lol. Awful levels, and I agree about the destructing levels as well which were annoying.
Old 28 December 2010, 12:44   #6
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Could you do an English translation one day mailman??
I could but I am rather short with time. So nothing promised and I don't know when it could be possible.

Maybe ask a question about some bit and I can tell you more. I also think that Google translator should handle it.
Old 29 December 2010, 00:16   #7
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Nice looking tutorial mailman. I have to admit that I used some maps from HOL to get around the time-limit levels as they were so frustrating. And btw. I played the CD32 version of TA so you don't get codes to every level, only after you complete 3-6 levels or so you get a code.
Old 29 December 2010, 15:39   #8
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

That does look a great tutorial, i'd love to be able to read it!

Maybe another of our polish friends could do the honours with a translation!
Old 29 December 2010, 15:41   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The Google translation isn't that bad : http://translate.google.de/translate...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8
Nice walkthrough mailman
Old 29 December 2010, 18:06   #10
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Nice looking tutorial mailman. I have to admit that I used some maps from HOL to get around the time-limit levels as they were so frustrating. And btw. I played the CD32 version of TA so you don't get codes to every level, only after you complete 3-6 levels or so you get a code.
Because the game does not give you codes after each level. The code's system is so simple that I was able to crack it pretty fast and produce the code for every single level. It appeared I wasn't the only one who cracked it - there are many solutions available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
The Google translation isn't that bad : http://translate.google.de/translate...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8
Nice walkthrough mailman
BTW, on the HOL server I uploaded some new maps to ABTA which are not on HOL. I have also added some labels. I hope you get them and update will be available pretty soon.

Last edited by TCD; 29 December 2010 at 18:11. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 29 December 2010, 18:11   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Won't be around tonight, but I'll update it tomorrow.
Old 29 December 2010, 19:17   #12
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Because the game does not give you codes after each level. The code's system is so simple that I was able to crack it pretty fast and produce the code for every single level. It appeared I wasn't the only one who cracked it - there are many solutions available.
So you cheated!

Quote:
BTW, on the HOL server I uploaded some new maps to ABTA which are not on HOL. I have also added some labels. I hope you get them and update will be available pretty soon.
Thanks for adding them, in case I ever try to play the damn game again
Old 30 December 2010, 09:51   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Gamemaps added and sorted. Thanks a lot for the additions mailman
I noticed that these two are still missing :
Code:
Corridor 5
Corridor 9
So if someone has some spare minutes...
Old 30 December 2010, 10:08   #14
frikilokooo

Alien Breed 2 was a hard game precisely by countdown levels and a few passwords but the second half of the game is paradoxically easier.In the second half of the game I got the weapon with ammunition that bounces off walls together less countdown levels make it a leisurely stroll until the end.TA has always seemed more difficult to me because it is less linear.
Old 30 December 2010, 17:58   #15
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
So you cheated!
To learn how the game works, how to complete each level - yes.

I still can complete the whole game using one of the routes Without cheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Gamemaps added and sorted. Thanks a lot for the additions mailman
I only labeled them and sorted. Bishop is responsible for creating the missing maps.

Last edited by TCD; 30 December 2010 at 18:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 30 December 2010, 18:03   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks to Bishop as well then
Old 26 April 2013, 15:28   #17
Calabazam

Hi.
I've started a new game of TA. Last time i played it was in 1997, and i have been very impressed by this brilliant game. I have never been able to pass the second level of the main tower though, this game was too hard for me by that time.
Now i am back to get to the end.
Do you know at which points of the game there is a save code?
I got a code at the entrance of the first engineering level but it would be cool to now where to get the next one to planify my route.
Old 26 April 2013, 15:31   #18
DH
Global Moderator

These are the level codes, presumanly these are the same http://hol.abime.net/3240/cheatcode
Old 26 April 2013, 15:40   #19
Djay
95th User

TA is one of my favourite games... Really like the design

what is the hardest out of all the 2d ABs?
Old 26 April 2013, 17:50   #20
Calabazam

Thanks for the link, but i'm not looking for cheat codes, but for the list of places where a code can be given. Does that link list all locations or only some of them? I think that the codes are unique because they save weapons/Ammo/money and not just progression.

TA is the hardest of them all on my opinion. This game really killed me by that time, and i was a much sharper player that i am now.