English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 14 June 2020, 11:01   #41
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
no offense, but posting your wishes and what you're going to do here isn't going to make your game real.

We've seen so many threads with game projects that never were made. Now it's time to jump in the void and accept long weeks of non-working & crashing trash & technical questions about compiler/graphics/sounds/music replayer/blitter/sprites/copper/scrolling until you can show us something.

Gook luck.

Brutal, but true
Old 14 June 2020, 17:03   #42
ElectricCafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaMax View Post
Hi ElectricCafe,do you have any experience in how to implement fighting AI logic or is this your first project in this genre?
Yes I have coded a beat em up engine in C++, which will provide the basis for some of the code for this project.

I can post some demos of that.
Old 14 June 2020, 17:09   #43
ElectricCafe

Quote:
no offense, but posting your wishes and what you're going to do here isn't going to make your game real.

We've seen so many threads with game projects that never were made. Now it's time to jump in the void and accept long weeks of non-working & crashing trash & technical questions about compiler/graphics/sounds/music replayer/blitter/sprites/copper/scrolling until you can show us something.

Good luck.
Wow are you always this upbeat?

That said, your comments are valid, which is why this project will most likely take quite a while.

As a producer/composer/programmer who has a portfolio of released work, we should be ok though.
Old 14 June 2020, 18:53   #44
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Wow are you always this upbeat?
no, it's just honest advice. It's really easy to create very long threads explaining what you're going to do and spend all your time doing this and waiting for feedback. I've seen it too many times before, that's why I'm very frank about this.

I'm not concerned about the music of the game, I've heard your tunes and they're very good, but it's the very (only) thing that you can "subcontract" to someone else (preferably J.M.D aka saimon69 )

Quote:
As a producer/composer/programmer who has a portfolio of released work, we should be ok though.
Yeah, but you came here to learn new things too like C, and possibly amiga hardware/programming? I had written several Java / C++/SDL remakes (3 completed ones and 2 or 3 others, plus side SDL work), and the amiga part wasn't trivial to migrate to, believe me.

I would advise you to pick a project using C or C++ (modsurfer, or my Bagman remake) and try to rebuild it. That will get your toolchain set up (not a trivial task).

Then start from scratch, but borrow code from similar projects for graphics. And use a good sound/music replayer like phx ptreplay.

Check dev dairy by mcgeezer about SuperSprint and Rygar here on eab. Very instructive

About feedback, I LOVE Double Dragon, completed it arcade back in the days, so I support your project. Make it happen!
Old 14 June 2020, 19:52   #45
ElectricCafe

Quote:
no, it's just honest advice. It's really easy to create very long threads explaining what you're going to do and spend all your time doing this and waiting for feedback. I've seen it too many times before, that's why I'm very frank about this.

I'm not concerned about the music of the game, I've heard your tunes and they're very good, but it's the very (only) thing that you can "subcontract" to someone else (preferably J.M.D aka saimon69 )

Yeah, but you came here to learn new things too like C, and possibly amiga hardware/programming? I had written several Java / C++/SDL remakes (3 completed ones and 2 or 3 others, plus side SDL work), and the amiga part wasn't trivial to migrate to, believe me.

I would advise you to pick a project using C or C++ (modsurfer, or my Bagman remake) and try to rebuild it. That will get your toolchain set up (not a trivial task).

Then start from scratch, but borrow code from similar projects for graphics. And use a good sound/music replayer like phx ptreplay.

Check dev dairy by mcgeezer about SuperSprint and Rygar here on eab. Very instructive

About feedback, I LOVE Double Dragon, completed it arcade back in the days, so I support your project. Make it happen!
No probs, I know it's easy to get excited about a project at the start and then lose interest once it gets tough.

We are motivated by the challenge and we realise it won't be easy, but we are inspired by the projects completed on these forums, and hope to contribute the same.
Old 14 June 2020, 21:35   #46
kamelito
Zone Friend

Here Menace first level redone in C http://amiga.filfre.net/misc/Chapter8/Menace.zip
Old 14 June 2020, 21:56   #47
ElectricCafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Here Menace first level redone in C http://amiga.filfre.net/misc/Chapter8/Menace.zip
Thanks! Yeah we have been having a nosey at this.
Old 14 June 2020, 22:58   #48
OmegaMax
Knight Of The Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCafe View Post
Yes I have coded a beat em up engine in C++, which will provide the basis for some of the code for this project.

I can post some demos of that.

No need I believe you,was just curious..double dragon could definitely use a remake on amiga look forward to your updates.
Old 15 June 2020, 00:14   #49
mcgeezer

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah we have been having a nosey at this.
I would very strongly advise you to check out the archive below because the scrolling on this game will be troublesome unless you nail it:-

http://aminet.net/package/dev/src/ScrollingTrick

And while you are at it get a copy of the Amiga Hardware Reference manual, you'll be needing it to understand how the hardware works under the bonnet.

Geezer
Old 15 June 2020, 08:10   #50
ElectricCafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I would very strongly advise you to check out the archive below because the scrolling on this game will be troublesome unless you nail it:-

http://aminet.net/package/dev/src/ScrollingTrick

And while you are at it get a copy of the Amiga Hardware Reference manual, you'll be needing it to understand how the hardware works under the bonnet.

Geezer
Thank you Geezer. Yep we will definitely be using that scrolling technique and have been reading through and trying to make sense of the Reference Manual.

We've also been watching some of your youtube videos, it's all really helpful.

Last edited by ElectricCafe; 19 June 2020 at 13:43.
Old 19 June 2020, 13:41   #51
ElectricCafe

Quote:
Every Friday we discuss progress, this forum and action points for the week ahead.

This week we will be trying to achieve the following:

(1)
Write something to disk, can be just text
Read from disk and print to console
(2)
Put text file onto Amiga.
Read file from disk and print to console
(3)
Put image file onto Amiga.
Read image file from disk and print bytes to console (not as image, as text).
(4)
Put image file onto Amiga.
Read image file from disk and display image on screen.

Once we have these basics in place it will provide the foundations of loading assets into memory.
Friday update

We have achieved reading from file and printing to the console.

Having saved images as IFF we are now looking into how we read this into memory and draw to the screen.

We also discussed the low level memory management that will be involved and how screen size, no of colors and size of spritesheets all impact how much we can store in the memory available in chip and video RAM.

More rock n roll updates next Friday!

Last edited by ElectricCafe; 07 July 2020 at 12:59.
Old 20 June 2020, 07:23   #52
OmegaMax
Knight Of The Kingdom

Thanks for the update ElectricCafe,the good stuff is coming.
Old 27 June 2020, 12:34   #53
ElectricCafe

Friday Update (now Saturday)

This week we mostly discussed the use of pointers and coded a test script to accept joystick input.

We are still playing around with displaying images too.
Old 04 July 2020, 20:10   #54
ElectricCafe

This weeks update.

We are now able to display images on screen and manage its memory allocations.

We have also been setting up the BartmanAbyss C extension for VS Code which is super helpful.

Next we are looking into putting some of our test scripts onto actual hardware. This will involve packaging an ADF and using a Gotek drive first to test and then to copy to a floppy disk for further testing.

More exciting updates next week!
Old 07 July 2020, 12:56   #55
ElectricCafe

Quick update

We now have joystick input working.

Using the input we can set left/right, up/down directions and when combined with a speed variable we can start to move things around the screen.

Additionally the variables allow us to set the correct images for the sprite when facing certain directions.
Old 07 July 2020, 13:16   #56
mcgeezer

@ElectriCafe

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to be blunt here.

I'm not the EAB police but in your updates you really should be showing something, the old saying that a picture speaks a thousand words is true - a video speaks even more words.

If you can't do that then even just provide a bit more technical discussion would help. Just putting two or three lines of high level progress isn't really progress in my opinion.
Old 07 July 2020, 21:39   #57
jotd
This cat is no more

@mc I already sent the same message https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...59#post1407759

In a nutshell, spend less time in posting ghost updates on EAB and more time coding/designing stuff. The reward of showing a real WIP will be much better and you'll get feedback.

I don't mind your updates, I'm unimpressed by them but they don't annoy me the least.

I remember really wanting to advertise about my projects but waited till they were pretty much completed or at least beta before talking about them. I really want to see a good Double Dragon port on the amiga.
Old 08 July 2020, 11:17   #58
ElectricCafe

I'm not going to get into forum politics so I will post all future updates for those interested on my website here:

http://www.electriccafe.xyz/double-dragon
Old 08 July 2020, 12:35   #59
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I, for one, think it's ok if ElectricCafe keeps posting this...

Old 08 July 2020, 13:32   #60
kamelito
Zone Friend

+1