English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 October 2020, 11:20   #41
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
If you have an A600 or A1200, a PCMCIA-CF adaptor is a good option too. Fat95 and compactflash.device are two packages I would consider essential on a new installation for that reason - they make transferring everything else so much easier.
This is absolutely essential for any A600/A1200 setup, in my opinion.
Old 16 October 2020, 15:40   #42
andy2004
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to andy2004
start with archivers..

Lha
Lzx
DMS
UNDMS

Packers to pack you text files for use with ppmore
Packit used powepacker.library
PowerPacker data and exe compressor/cruncher.
Imploder exe compressor
StoneCracker exe compressor/cruncher and data.. but no runtime datadecruncher..
CrM aka CrunchMania + RTDD to decrunch the data for use with ppmore.
XPK master and sublibrarys for use with any app that supported them
Xfddecrunch.library decrunch.library and unpacker.library see above
so you could recrunch poorly crunched exe files..with STC

Hippoplayer for music
Noiseplayer 4 for playing a single module in the background

text
Edword for text editing
Memacs as above..part of workbench..

textviewers..
PPmore powerpacker text viewer
MMPP muchmore powerpacker as above..
Next used xpk / powerpacker/ xfddecrunch.. read files from within archives requires Lha/lzx to unarchive the file temp.
XPKGuide for viewing .guide files.

Pro-Wizard for converting compressed promizer etc .mod files back to protracker format.

Snoopdos so you can find out why some app isnt loading and find it needs a certain file /library/font which you dont have
Old 17 October 2020, 09:21   #43
BanisterDK

Does it matter which PCMCIA-CF adaptor I buy ?
Will they all fit in A1200 port ?
Old 17 October 2020, 17:21   #44
PDrill

With WiFi cards it has always essential that they are 16bit, and now reading your question I looked at it a bit to look for the reason. Seems 32bit PCMCIA is a bit different (also) physically so it will probably not even fit - and that naturally goes for any PCMCIA's, not just the WiFi's which have been speculated many times over the years.

When buying any 'generic hardware' for use with Amigas I usually buy them from Amiga shops (for example Vesialia.de in Germany) excactly for this reason, their stuff will fit & work with Amiga but when buying from somewhere else they for sure know nothing about A :-D

https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0037.asp
Old 18 October 2020, 09:13   #45
johnnybarker

My most used programmes

Image mount (like GoADF!, also mounts HDF and ISO files)
Wordworth 7
ImageFX 4.5
ADPro 2.5
AmigaAmp
Roadshow
Ibrowse 2.5 (keep meaning to buy full copy)
HippoPlayer
AMP2
WHDLoad
Warp Datatypes
Old 18 October 2020, 18:56   #46
BanisterDK

Now some other question

Got a ACA1232-20 card in my A1200

With Kickstart 3.1.4 do I need to add more arguments to ACATune than 'acatune maprom *' ?
Old 29 November 2020, 02:22   #47
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
This one pisses me off. UHCTools downloads from some random site that may disappear tomorrow.
http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/UHCTools

Aminet has been there for 25+ years and that's where all Amiga releases should go, be they OS3, OS4 or MorphOS.
I do agree, however we did not create UHC Tools with the goal to not offer software on aminet, or piss people off, but to have a convenient way to update the software in UHC Tools for a select few people. Then we added more great functionality to it, then we made it public, then it grew a bit, now we are here =).

Hopefully we have enough mirrors for it to last for some time (including the kindly offered http://uhc.a1k.org/ ).

We are working on releasing suitable parts of UHC Tools on aminet, like SynergyClient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
The SynergyClient in UHCTools is awesome!
They won't release source so I've started writing my own. I'm using Barrier which is a fork of the open source bits of Synergy. It's working nice.
On this topic, have you seen any differences in the Barrier protocol apart from the hello message?

I recently added support for Barrier in SynergyClient (by adding support for the hello message), but have not yet come across anything else that works differently protocol wise.
Old 29 November 2020, 16:04   #48
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
On this topic, have you seen any differences in the Barrier protocol apart from the hello message?

I recently added support for Barrier in SynergyClient (by adding support for the hello message), but have not yet come across anything else that works differently protocol wise.
None. They seems almost identical. The advantage with Barrier is that it is free and open source where Synergy needs some old version from sourceforge.
Old 11 December 2020, 17:55   #49
Gilbert

I don't understand this thread because I hated Workbench. I guess it was only good if you had a harddrive.

The best programs on AMiga were

D Paint 2 (better than 3 unless you needed specific features)
AMOS + AMOS compiler
Blitz Basic 2
Mastersound
Pro Tracker

There's nothing else you need really
Old 11 December 2020, 18:41   #50
DamienD
Banned

You hate Workbench and believe the CD32 is the best Amiga... that figures

Please do tell, from your perspective, what was a better OS at the time?
Old 11 December 2020, 20:59   #51
Devlin
Bane of Magic

Mysticube. (screenshot of my hardware backup/emulated 1200)

Old 11 December 2020, 22:04   #52
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You hate Workbench and believe the CD32 is the best Amiga... that figures

Please do tell, from your perspective, what was a better OS at the time?

I had an A500 then and did hate using Workbench. You had to insert a disk to load it up. A better OS would be one built into ROM that was there when you turned the computer on. I remember you had to insert other floppy disks when you did certain things on Workbench. Was probably good if you had a harddrive though

I just liked Amiga programs that loaded straight up from disk.

Only other OS (if it counts) I used then was the BBC Micro one. Which was great. It appeared instantaneously and had a BASIC interpreter with built in assembler all ready for use. All the apps we had - like word processors, spreadsheets, spellcheck were all on ROMS. Was great for speed and ease of use. Never had any complaints with that one although sure it was more primitive 8 bit computer
Old 11 December 2020, 22:53   #53
TuKo
Apollo Team

LHA
DOpus4
SnoopDOS
WHDLoad
Old 12 December 2020, 10:37   #54
wodan

For those times you need to use a cli window you really want KingCON

http://aminet.net/package/util/shell/KingCON_1.3
Old 29 December 2020, 07:03   #55
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
I had an A500 then and did hate using Workbench. You had to insert a disk to load it up. A better OS would be one built into ROM that was there when you turned the computer on. I remember you had to insert other floppy disks when you did certain things on Workbench. Was probably good if you had a harddrive though

Only other OS (if it counts) I used then was the BBC Micro one. Which was great. It appeared instantaneously and had a BASIC interpreter with built in assembler all ready for use. All the apps we had - like word processors, spreadsheets, spellcheck were all on ROMS. Was great for speed and ease of use. Never had any complaints with that one although sure it was more primitive 8 bit computer
The difference between a BBC Micro and an Amiga is so great you could park a mountain range between them. The Beeb was an excellent machine, but if you are trying to compare it to the Amiga for functionality... you are seriously deluded. And the BBC only had a small number of programs available on ROM, and precious few internal ROM slots to put them in. Most software came on tape or floppy disk... and they took much longer to load than Amiga disks. I ran an Amiga 1200 for a year using just the internal floppy and one external floppy drive. Oh, and an OS purely on ROM? That died out for a reason. You seem to have very limited knowledge of computer hardware or how and they work.
Old 29 December 2020, 14:09   #56
Jope
-

Quote:
It was already quite ok if you had two floppy drives. Only one and it was endless disk juggling.
Old 29 December 2020, 14:49   #57
duga

Quote:

The OS is/was (partly) built in to the ROM (except A1000). Maybe the C64 is more of your taste.