English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 June 2024, 23:06   #1
Amiga1992

Any decent modern PSU for the CD32?

There's tons of options for regular Amigas but not for the CD32 that I know of, are there any modern PSUs for CD32s that are well reliable and, bonus, can do both 240/110 Volts?
Old 17 June 2024, 20:42   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga1992 View Post
There's tons of options for regular Amigas but not for the CD32 that I know of, are there any modern PSUs for CD32s that are well reliable and, bonus, can do both 240/110 Volts?
Single Amiga

https://www.retropassion.co.uk/produ...-psu-for-cd32/

Duo Version

https://www.retropassion.co.uk/produ...duo-a500-cd32/

Duo Plus Edition (Heavy Duty)

https://www.retropassion.co.uk/produ...-plus-edition/

*edit* missed the 110v requirement.... But then as Liqourice states.... Google is your best friend "any time" for anything....

Last edited by Kin Hell; 17 June 2024 at 23:52.
Old 17 June 2024, 22:16   #3
Amiga1992

The first page does not show the CD32 power connector, they have the standard square DIN, and the round cable isn't mentioned anywhere.
I have no need for the other two.

There's also zero mention of 110/220V operation. That's not acceptable for me.
Old 17 June 2024, 22:53   #4
Liqourice

I just put "cd32 psu" to google and got plenty of results with PSUs that does all you want.
Old 21 June 2024, 00:43   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqourice View Post
I just put "cd32 psu" to google and got plenty of results with PSUs that does all you want.
That doesn't mean any of them are any good and that's why I come here for a community recommendation but it seems there's not that much of a userbase for this device.
Old 21 June 2024, 01:02   #6
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga1992 View Post
That doesn't mean any of them are any good and that's why I come here for a community recommendation but it seems there's not that much of a userbase for this device.
Well, there's no single PSU ordained from above. Rather, we have many sources for replacement parts, expansions, etc.

It's true that many will have had to bought a certain "brand" and used it a lot before knowing if it's good.

But the original PSUs were good enough, the need for replacement is simply that they're old. Stay away from too-cheap parts from unknown sources in Asia, and you will likely be fine for another 20 years.

You should also specify wall plug (or location) before we can recommend a PSU.

I recently ordered other stuff from Sordan's web store, and what I've tested so far seems good quality. I didn't order a CD32 PSU, but he has one with European and UK plug.

Here's a cable that can serve multiple purposes, and you perhaps already have PSUs.

Amigastore has one where you can select wall plug which looks very nice. Etc etc.

I think if you find a couple Amiga etc web stores near you, one of them will have one.
Old 24 June 2024, 18:26   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
You should also specify wall plug (or location) before we can recommend a PSU.
Well I am looking for something I can use anywhere and this is a big problem with most options offered. I do need 220V/110V operation even though I am in the US.
Quote:
Here's a cable that can serve multiple purposes, and you perhaps already have PSUs.
I have tried this kind of solution, it would be ideal, but I have experienced mixed results. I think it largely depends on the PSU in question but I am not sure many ATX PSUs will deliver the necessary values through the hard drive power connector.

Quote:
I think if you find a couple Amiga etc web stores near you, one of them will have one.
There's not really any Amiga hardware stores in the US, I am stuck ordering from Europe which on its own brings several difficulties, so I tread with care before purchase, that's why I ask for recommendations, I want to make sure I get the right thing because returning is way too much of a bother when doing it intercontinentally.
Old Today, 12:10   #8
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Maybe this makes things a bit easier for you:

https://www.keelog.com/amiga-500-cd3...adapter-cable/

They also have an A500 PSU on the site, but I don't think it can handle 110-240V AC sadly - but that adaptor cable would let you use any Amiga PSU that can.