English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 09 July 2022, 01:26   #1
DisasterIncarna

CPU Variant Question (Libraries/Commands)

Ok, so i have a rather bloated script i execute near the top of my startup-sequence now which is CPU-Sequence, this little nugget atm works wonders for me as i try to make an install/setup that works on real amigas, emulated and more importantly ANY CPU/FPU configuration, it just adapts nicely and its working perfectly....so far.

To put it simply, if a program/library/etc has only 1 version then it remains in the usual place, if i have a program that has multiple CPU variants, then my script ADD's more assigns to the various CPU types starting highest to lowest and the variants are placed in folders for those CPU (and FPU) types.

It works fine when i manually place the variants in the right folders as installers usually ask for 1 type and only install that 1, i just install the lowest and manually copy over all the others, it means when a program looks for its library it looks in the newly ADD'ed assigns and continues looking through the lower CPU variants till it finds what its after and uses it.

---

My question here is, if for example i have a program which has quite a few variants and i am on say an 060 setup, this example program does not have an 060 specific library/set of commands but has for example 040/030 and 000, is there a preferred CPU type you should use when looking down the CPU types.

As in should an 060 look for the next lowest, say 040, or should it skip to 030? or 000?

Same applies to say 040, should that use 030 when not 040 variant exists or should you drop down to 020?

Basically should a higher CPU step down to next best or drop all the way to the lowest CPU available? Does it even matter?