English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 February 2003, 05:09   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Shatterhand's PSX crap games thread

I don't know if anyone is aware of this (Or if anyone cares), but I recently bought my first PSX system ever... There are like half a dozen of games on this system that I just love, and I am eagerly hoping to find more..

But.. man, how I begin to regret getting it... ok, just Castlevania SoTN, Metal Gear Solid and Winning Eleven 2000 are already enought for make me wanting this system, and there's even more games that are nice enough.

But.. firstly, the console came with 2 joypads.. they lasted exactly TWO weeks, both are malfunctioning now. I know they are clones, not original PSONE controllers, so I accept I should had asked one original controller instead of 2 clones. So, I went out and bought a Dual Shock Controller... I asked the seller if that was a clone or an original, she tells me it's a clone, and I will have real trouble finding original controllers here for a decent price. Also, she told me those controllers really suck and won't last long.

Anyway, I brought this controller home, and of course, it wasn't working properly too. the analogue button isn't working.

If this problem was not enough.. man, I am back to the 70s or something? The games are UGLY. My MSX games looked a lot better than most of those 3D games. And they are JERKY! God, I used to have 50 fps on my beloved Amiga, now it seems I have to be happy when I have about 17 fps....

But, well, ok, I can live with that, if the games have good gameplay... I already got a nice collection of about 15-20 (Pirates... don't even try to search an original here, they are rare as hell, or so I am told), and either I am really unlucky, or there's a BIG amount of really crap games out there.

So, if no one minds, I would like to list some of those REALLY crap games. I think no system has more bad games than the PSX, and I only have it for like 2 weeks.

Oh, and if this should be on off-topic, a mod can change it. And if nodoby gives a damn about crap PSX games, then tell me and I'll stop bugging you
Old 02 February 2003, 05:26   #2
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Roland Garros 2001 Developed by Cryo . Published by Paranace

You know, when I got this game, I was ready for some fun tennis action. Roland Garros 98 for my PC was a rather good game, and this one was released AFTER Virtua Tennis, the best tennis game ever, so they have some standard to beat.

When the game fired up, I got a cracktro from Paradox! Great, a trip into the past! The cracktro even has a tune form an Amiga cracktro, and also has a 60hz/50hz option! Great stuff.

Then the intro comes, and I see a known logo.. the game was developed by Cryo, the guys behind KGB and Dune for amiga, two nice adventure games, though this isn't exactly my fav genre. I think they also made the poop Megarace, but whatever. It's a developing team back from the Amiga days, so I was enjoying the trip so far.

Then after a cliched intro, I get past the options screen and go straight to an exhibition game. I have to choose a player, and the first real wrong thing comes... the graphics are HORRIBLE. I mean, they are REALLY ugly, I don't remember seen 3D models as bad as this ever. I think "Well, I can live with that, if the game can be as fun as the 98 edition for PC".

Of course, it wasn't. I begin serving, and this is easily enough to do, yet it requires some skill... nicely designed. Then my opponet returns the ball, I run to the ball and press the X button (The button supposed to hit the ball), but nothing happens.

WTF, I think.. I try again.. and again.. and again... It's like it's just impossible to hit the ball for me. After the 1st set is already 4-0, I notice I can't be holding my d-pad whiling hitting the ball. I have to run to the ball, DROP the D-Pad and then press X.

Now this is completely STUPID. I never played real Tennis in my life, I dunno if I have to stop my legs from moving to hit the ball or something, but I don't want this to be real, I want this to be FUN and PLAYABLE. If I am running to the ball, it's most obvious that I will not drop the D-Pad to hit X. And if I do, I probably won't reach the ball.

So, ok, I need to have ESP powers to guess where my opponent will send the ball so I can be there before the ball, DROP the D-Pad and press X, BUT... how do I choose where I will send the ball? Simply, I HOLD the X button, and press left and right, and a cross will show where the ball will go. The longer you press the X button, further from the net the cross moves.

Now, if it's nearly impossible to be fast enough to reach the ball, DROP the Dpad AND press X Button, how long does it wants me to KEEP pressing the X button to have a half decent hit?

And it doesn't matter how much you practice - the game has a training mode, and I used it for a while - but I can't see how can I get better in the game. It became incredibly frustating very fast. All you can do is guess where the ball will go before your opponent hits it, then hold X, and hope that you guessed correctly.

And have I mentioned about the crap point of view? The game is seen from above with 3D graphics and all. and it zooms in and out to fit the action properly. Trouble is, the zoom doesn't seem to work as it should, as the player in the bottom will most of time just dissapear from the screen with some stupid zooms in.

I have played many Tennis games in my life, but this is undoubtly the worst one I ever played (Even Advanced Tennis Simulator on the old Spectrum was better than this). Play this, then if you can get a Dreamcast, get it, and get Virtua Tennis.
Old 02 February 2003, 05:31   #3
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
For the original PSX try and get Silent Hill, Syphon Filter, Wipeout XL, Tekken 3, Resident Evil, Metal gear solid, Soul Blade, and Oddworld. There are alot more great games for that system but those came to mind at this moment.
Old 02 February 2003, 12:21   #4
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I agree with all of Unknown_k's list. The trouble with PSX aswell as now PS2 is it can be hard to sort the crap from the quality, but dont give up because there loads of great games.

One of my faves was a Jap import I got called Einhander, a very nice shoot em up.
Old 02 February 2003, 12:39   #5
Unknown_K

The original PSX might not have the best graphics compared to the new consoles but there are a ton of good games for it no matter what type you get into. That and the fact the games are cheap now (or its easy to modchip).

Try and pick up a dreamcast console, also a nice system to have.
Old 02 February 2003, 12:56   #6
NytroX86

There are definately loads of good games for the original Playstation (or PSone), but unfortunately the popularity of the console attracted a lot of shite games as well. I hate the adverts you see (Well, I have seen) where they say 'Playstation now has over 1000 games' or whatever the number is, and they forget to tell you 90% of them are barely worth rental. Maybe this is harsh but I can't think of 100 good Playstation games right now (Then again I can't for any machine).
When I bought a Playstation I had already had a PC for a year or two and I wasn't expecting the graphics to be as good (That was compared to a old Pentium 2 with a 4Mb graphics card), but there were games I wanted to play which my friends had been going on about for ages(I'll give some later).
Generally I'd say steer clear of any PC ports for a start, the only reason for buying a PC game on the PS is for multiplayer (Like Quake 2, 4-Player splitscreen ). Everyone knows Black and White for the PC, some marketing idiot decided to put it on the Playstation. I haven't played it but I can only imagine how shite the graphics and speed must be, such an injustice to a great game. Also any game that comes out for PS1 and PS2 should probably be avoided IMO, since the PS1 version will always be cut down, for example Tony Hawks 4 or Fifa 2003, they just won't be the same game.
Finally I'll give you some good games I think you should look at, all I have played:
Crash Bash - Great little 'party' game, you fight in one screen arenas at various games, always 4 players of CPU or human.
Die Hard Trilogy - Ignore the sequel, this one rules. A decent third person shooter, light gun game, and street racer all in one.
Final Fantasy 7 - I looked upon this as shite for ages, but once I was forced to play for a hour I loved it. IMO the best RPG on the Playstation 1, but I haven't played 8 or 9 so maybe I'm wrong.
Gran Turismo - Or 2. The mother of all PS racing games, and arguably the best at its time.
Quake 2 - Like I said inferior graphically but nice for multiplayer splitscreen shootin.
Resident Evil 2 - I'm only saying 2 cos its the one I got. Great 3rd person horror survival game(s), only challenged by the likes of Silent Hill.
Soul Blade - My favourite beat em up on the PS. It has a nice storybook mode where you earn the characters weapons(some of which is bloody hard) as well as yer classic arcade and 2 player.
Time Crisis - Brilliant lightgun game. Nuff said.
Wu Tang Taste the Pain - Quite rare I think, a beat em up with weapons and in the vain of 'Thrill Kill'(Banned in UK methinks). Again a story mode to earn fatalities and stuff, great in 4 player brawls.

Other games I do not own but know to be awesome are basically Unkown_K's list plus Medal of Honour. Hope you have fun with your PS

Old 02 February 2003, 14:10   #7
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Also my add-ons to those lists, Resident Evil's 1-3,(No. 2 being my personal fave), Gran Turismo for reasons already explained, FFVIII, Suikoden-an under rated RPG-not on the scale of FFVII's brilliance but it has some innovative aspects the further you delve into it, surprised noone mentioned Bust a Move(Puzzle Bobble), and Tekken 2, & Shane Warne's Cricket (Think it was originally Brian Lara's Cricket O/S), also enjoyed Blood Omen Legacy of Kain, & was introduced to Broken Sword via the PS1.

BTW-still have my original non-analogue sony pads from my PS1 from about 5-6 yrs ago, still going strong!
Old 02 February 2003, 15:03   #8
Unknown_K

I have the original psx controllers and they still work, also have a light gun (area 51 is fun) and a few aftermarket controllers plus the analog controller.

Going to connect the system back up in my room and go through the 100's of games I have.

Anybody ever play reloaded?
Old 02 February 2003, 15:16   #9
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

@Unknown_K. Yes, I did once, a long time ago when I use to hire PS1 games out from my local video store. From memory, I think I preferred the original,but can't recall why-might've been more character selections or something, not sure.

But thinking back to those times has reminded me of Twisted Metal 1,(or might've been 2), Great fun to play, 2 player mode was good too.

And there was a great sports game from Konami, Track & Field(??)
,(or was it Hyersports?)Reminded me of the immortal Summer Games series on the C64, though the button thrashing did tend to be too extreme!
Old 03 February 2003, 02:25   #10
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Apart from Wu Tang Taste the Pain and Crash Bash, I already knew all other games. Thx for your recommendations anyway . I am already hunting down Einhander and Die Hard Trilogy (I already got the sequel.. not bad, but eons away from the original)

You know, I can really live with crap graphics. Another game I am hunting is Twisted Metal 2, and if anyone ever played this game, knows HOW BAD the graphics are. They were bad even for a PSX game of its time. Still, the gameplay is top notch, so the bad graphics don't really annoy me that much.

And if you knew me a little bit you should know you shouldn't recommend me Resident Evil or anything that plays like that, or Final Fantasy (Or anything that plays like FF) .

Tomorrow I will come with a new crap PSX game for your tastes
Old 03 February 2003, 02:49   #11
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

yup konami released international track & field, and IT&F 2 or IT&F 2000 in the states

and to carry on going against the topic heres some more good games

einhander is a great shoot'em up but i also recommend r-type delta which is also great, apocalypse is also a highly underrated action game which is a lot of fun
Old 03 February 2003, 12:48   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I am also hunting R-Type Delta.

Actually, not hunting anymore, I already know where to get R-Type Delta, Einhander, Philosoma, Strikers 1945 II and Thunder Force 5. Now I MUST get ZanacXZanac to fullfill my shmups need

I am at school now so no time to tell about my new crap game. I'll do it later.
Old 03 February 2003, 14:36   #13
Big-Byte
Long time member

Get Vandal Hearts. Best game I played on the PSX. Its a turn based Isometric RPG. I still load it up to play quite regularly on my PC (havent had a PSX for 3 years now)

Other Games definately worth having..

Parappa the Rappa. Great party game

erm.. thats all I can think of atm. Ive got five games at home
which I kept even though I sold the PSX.
Old 03 February 2003, 15:00   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Actually, not hunting anymore, I already know where to get R-Type Delta, Einhander, Philosoma, Strikers 1945 II and Thunder Force 5. Now I MUST get ZanacXZanac to fullfill my shmups need
Ahh bitch. Me gots Delta and Einhänder... my only two PSX games! But I want Gradius Gaiden, TF5, G-Darius and Zanac x Zanac. That would almost complete my PSX collection..

WHY on earth did you buy a PS? I thought you were hunting for a DC?
Old 03 February 2003, 18:33   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Because I want ALL SYSTEMS.
/me greed

Is it Vandal Hearts from Konami? I think I nearly got this game, it was in my hand, and just because it had the Konami Logo, I was going to bring it home. Then I asked the guy what was the genre, he said "It's an RPG". Then I dropped it.

Akira, is it you PSX modded? When I get those games, maybe I could copy th... <snip>
Old 04 February 2003, 13:22   #16
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

@Shatterhand. Yep Vandal Hearts is by Konami. When I first decided to try Jap. RPG's for the first time hiring stuff out, there was Vandal Hearts & Suikoden, both Konami RPG's, & went with Suikoden.

Why such a hardline against stuff like playstation & C64 Shatterhand? You criticize the "poor" 3D GFX of the playstation (although at the time of its release it blew the competition away) comparing it today's machines. I could attack the 8bit MSX for crap graphics/sound etc compared to todays machines too! (Or C64 games being better than MSX).
But that wouldn't be fair or realistic-its gameplay that counts & the games mentioned here all have that playability.

What consoles do you regard as underrated/unexploited then?
BTW-don't take this as intentional flaming or insulting, just curious & always happy to have retro-gaming debates, thats all!
Old 04 February 2003, 16:59   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Akira, is it you PSX modded? When I get those games, maybe I could copy th... <snip>
Anhhh the bitch. Previous owner TRIED to mod it and fucked up two traces on the motherboard in the process... I didnt know this of course, so when I took it for modding, teh mod didn;t work. On closer inspection teh mod guy noticed these two traces cut, and said he'd have to try to fix them to see if the chip works

So for now, no chip.
Old 04 February 2003, 18:18   #18
th4t1guy

PSX sucks, PERIOD.

If you don't like the low-res and jerky frame rates, just get an emulator and play them at 50fps at 800x600.
Old 04 February 2003, 23:57   #19
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
PSX sucks, PERIOD.

ewwwww :disgusted
Old 05 February 2003, 05:32   #20
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
PSX sucks, PERIOD.

If you don't like the low-res and jerky frame rates, just get an emulator and play them at 50fps at 800x600.
The games are fun, after you get over the eye candy in the new games (about 5 minutes) are you still playing the game for hours on end or are you watching the paint peal on the house?

Considering how many PSX consoles and games were sold during its prime (and today still even with ps2 out) somebody must have liked the system