English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 July 2024, 10:02   #1
CCCP alert

Cheapest handheld emulation option to play Atari Lynx games?

Lynx is one of the few systems I never collected but even back then the screen wasn't brilliant and it aint worth it at current prices for me.

I have bought £15-20 cheap Chinese PSP looking knock offs a decade ago but they only do Gameboy etc but the LCD screens were great.

Options? Must be dirt cheap lol I had to shell out £2k for emergency pet operation this year already so stuff like steam deck or £100 android doo dahs not an option just to play Warbirds.
Old 14 July 2024, 10:07   #2
giantclam

Hmmm...might be some ideas here --> https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/i...Lynx_emulators
Old 14 July 2024, 10:10   #3
drHirudo
Amiga user

MiSTer FPGA has Atari Lynx core, but if you are looking for portable, you shall go for the Analogue Pocket. Not very cheap, but the Analogue Pocket can work with real Lynx cartridges with adapter.
Old 14 July 2024, 10:35   #4
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP alert View Post
Must be dirt cheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
you shall go for the Analogue Pocket
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...ocket&_sacat=0

Old 14 July 2024, 10:58   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I don't think you can get an okay-ish handheld device for much under 100$. In that price range the Retroid Pocket seems to be one of the better options: https://www.goretroid.com/en-de/prod...-gaming-system

Edit: If you can find a cheap PSP that might be an option.
Old 14 July 2024, 12:03   #6
demether

I've got a anbernic rg35XX plus, cost around 50euros. There is a lynx emulator embedded, I can try it if you want.
Old 14 July 2024, 15:34   #7
Havie

Original Evercade and Lynx cartridge?
Old 14 July 2024, 15:37   #8
Havie

Just check eBay and you can get an Evercade for #30-40. Lynx cartridges have gone up in price though.
Old Yesterday, 02:02   #9
CCCP alert

Looking for unbranded chinese PMP players that support Lynx rom files unlocked, probably don't exist. EBAY block these kind of unlicensed things like the £17 all-in-one Megadrive joystick with 145 games built in.

They used to be about $15-20 on Alibaba etc before COVID but the best they did was GBA
Old Yesterday, 11:17   #10
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I was just using a xbox pad clipped to my phone but unfortunately lynx emulation seems to be broken in Retroarch at the moment for me.
Old Yesterday, 11:50   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

How much time can you afford to spend setting it up?

You could get a Sony PSP (1st version) for almost nothing, you need a new battery but 3rd parties still make them, and a ProDuo->MicroSD card adapter but they are very cheap. PSP are easy to mod and there is a good port of a Lynx emulator

https://psp-archive.github.io/emulators/Atari_Lynx.html
Old Yesterday, 21:34   #12
CCCP alert

I will probably just stick to Windows PC and emu, I don't really go anywhere without driving so it's not that important. Would be nice to be able to play Lynx games while the rest of my family are glued to their smartphones and there is bugger all to watch on their TV lol
Old Today, 12:48   #13
str0m

Old handheld type games on a PC/TV just don't feel right plus look awful due to the resolution. Most of the sub £100 generic Android handhelds will do Lynx and even up to things like PS2, Dreamcast etc

PSP as mentioned above a cheaper choice. I have a modded one full of PSP games and also loads of EMUs (not the bird). GBA plays full speed for example so does Lynx

If one day you end up with a real Lynx then make sure it has a modern Bennvenn screen in which are 10000000000x better than the original ones and pick up the retrohq sd flash cart and a set of 1.5v rechargables off amazon, that is my setup
Old Today, 13:35   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
I've got a anbernic rg35XX plus, cost around 50euros. There is a lynx emulator embedded, I can try it if you want.

This. I have multiple Anbernic devices and all of them are cheap and quite useful. They emulate well up to PSP and DC and have reasonable battery life.

Here are RG35XX Plus and RG35XXSP

Here are some YT videos of emulation...

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Other than that, old Samsung phone can do the trick with Retroarch and Launchbox.

Last edited by Anubis; Today at 13:42.
Old Today, 14:37   #15
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
Old handheld type games on a PC/TV just don't feel right plus look awful due to the resolution. Most of the sub £100 generic Android handhelds will do Lynx and even up to things like PS2, Dreamcast etc

PSP as mentioned above a cheaper choice. I have a modded one full of PSP games and also loads of EMUs (not the bird). GBA plays full speed for example so does Lynx

If one day you end up with a real Lynx then make sure it has a modern Bennvenn screen in which are 10000000000x better than the original ones and pick up the retrohq sd flash cart and a set of 1.5v rechargables off amazon, that is my setup
With a game like Warbirds it will be fine, stuff like GB adaptor for SNES gave me zero interest I agree. Pretty much just want to play Warbirds lol
Old Today, 15:15   #16
str0m

Played it loads back in the day when I originally had one! (Also played Wings a lot on the Amiga which was similar for those combat bits. No interest in proper flight sim!)
Old Today, 15:49   #17
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
How much time can you afford to spend setting it up?

You could get a Sony PSP (1st version) for almost nothing, you need a new battery but 3rd parties still make them, and a ProDuo->MicroSD card adapter but they are very cheap. PSP are easy to mod and there is a good port of a Lynx emulator

https://psp-archive.github.io/emulators/Atari_Lynx.html

You don't even need to mod them, now they have signing keys.
Just depends if devs have signed their eboots.
Remember the first time I signed eboot and tested, I was like awesome. However, it does limit user memory area (well in PSPUAE atleast). If I recall it was around 15MB.

Setting up, used to be a pain. However now its simple as 123. Not like the early days, where you would be using the will it work or will it brick hacks, .

I have to be fair, now they have universal unbricker for any model. Even buying a bricked one should be ok. I bought a white one off ebay a few years back, it was not booting. 5 mins with Pandora battery and tah dah. Working PSP Phat for £15.

I do prefer the Go personally, screen is much nicer on it.

Anyway, I used to use Handy PSP, they say its slow on that page. Dont remember it being slow when I used to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP alert View Post
With a game like Warbirds it will be fine, stuff like GB adaptor for SNES gave me zero interest I agree. Pretty much just want to play Warbirds lol
Bah, Warbirds. Todd in slime world was my favorite. Although Guantlet was pretty good too.
Old Today, 16:20   #18
DisasterIncarna

well you say no steam deck because of cost but the decks so good for many things its worth just waiting/saving and getting one eventually.
Old Today, 17:02   #19
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
well you say no steam deck because of cost but the decks so good for many things its worth just waiting/saving and getting one eventually.
EmulationStationDE on Steam Deck is just divine. I usually just leave it running attract mode demo videos while I work.

Not to mention that it emulates pretty much everything.
Old Today, 17:52   #20
Cherno

I use an X-Box-style bluetooth controller with a clip that attaches to the smartphone. On the phone I can play on all kinds of emulators up to about PS1. The one feature an emulator absolutely has to have is fast forward on button press. Makes older games that less tedious to play