English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 April 2022, 10:46   #301
NightShadowPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by petarku View Post
anyone has mistress conversion kit https://www.8bits4ever.net/product-page/mistress? I am interested in first hand impressions before buying..
Hi,

Not sure if it's still relevant to you, but I got a Mistress 1200 and I'm very happy with it.

The installation is fairly straightforward (following the instructions) and it works like a charm.

Had absolutely no problems with functionality and when running the Amiga core it feels like the real deal.

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like me to provide feedback on.

Cheers,
Old 13 May 2022, 11:07   #302
oldschool

So I've seen that MiSTer has the same FPGA as the Vampire v4. I've actually seen someone say it uses a faster one but I think they were mistaken? How much work would be involved in implementing some of the extended functionality of the Vampire? Would there be any patent or copyright issues involved with making it compatible (if anyone knows or has speculation)?

I'm thinking about picking up one of the boards but I'm primarily interested in the possibility of a next generation Amiga like the Vampire. At least having RTG. Would I be better off getting a Vampire? I really like the idea of open source development instead of closed source, and trying to avoid the problems that we have seen when a company goes out of business.

I'm pretty happy with WinUAE on my desktop computer and maybe that is a better solution? Something about FPGAs seems really cool though especially if the cost of entry is reasonable.
Old 13 May 2022, 17:57   #303
NightShadowPT

MiSTer is not going to give you vampire levels of performance, first and foremost because the Vampire core is closed source and I don't ever see them releasing it to be used on other devices.

If your only focus is the Amiga, you're probably better with the Vampire, but if you dabble on anything else, MiSTer is the way to go.

I can tell you I have both and I rarely fire up my Vampire.
Old 13 May 2022, 23:35   #304
NovaCoder

Yep Mister is more versatile for sure. I mostly use mine for PSX gaming at the moment
Old 15 May 2022, 17:16   #305
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
At least having RTG.
RTG is possible with the Amiga core on MiSTer.
Old 24 May 2022, 19:21   #306
thd79

Does anyone know if it's possible to configure MinimigAGA to automatically mount specified ADFs to df0 and df1? Basically, 99% of the time when I use the MIST it's to play SWOS, and I'd like to skip having to manually select the ADFs, which requires me to have a USB keyboard around. The settings for df0 and df1 don't seem to persist when you save the config.
Old 27 July 2022, 19:45   #307
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The new R-Type core works great. Out Run should be next. Great times for Arcade fans.

@minimig core:

The core uses a much faster than original 68020 CPU. This causes graphic glitches in WHDLoad games (e.g. Lionheart or Shadow of the Beast). I wish they would add a more compatible CPU option.
Old 27 July 2022, 20:10   #308
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The core uses a much faster than original 68020 CPU. This causes graphic glitches in WHDLoad games (e.g. Lionheart or Shadow of the Beast). I wish they would add a more compatible CPU option.
Are you sure this is the reason?
Old 27 July 2022, 20:15   #309
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, pretty sure. The games run fine on my A1200 and in WinUAE.
Old 27 July 2022, 20:25   #310
dreadnought

It's good to hear that from somebody who can cross compare with actual A1200. I'm quite active on the forum there and have seen quite a few of similar reports, the problem is I can only check them out on A500. So we never really know whether it's the core problem or actual behaviour on A1200.

It'd be good to make a list of these problem titles and fill github reports. Even if cycle accuracy is not possible, perhaps some speed-limiter is?
Old 27 July 2022, 20:35   #311
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I don't know. I'm reading in Mister forums too. They weren't too keen on fixing this stuff. The broken score board in Hybris (even in disk image mode, A500 config) was mentioned too, the response wasn't that good.
Old 27 July 2022, 20:43   #312
dreadnought

You're right, there is some "minimig is perfect!!11!" attitude, but that doesn't matter.

Combination of posting github issues and keeping the subject alive by talking about it can work, I've seen it happen with other stuff (though it does take time).
Old 27 July 2022, 22:48   #313
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thd79 View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to configure MinimigAGA to automatically mount specified ADFs to df0 and df1? Basically, 99% of the time when I use the MIST it's to play SWOS, and I'd like to skip having to manually select the ADFs, which requires me to have a USB keyboard around. The settings for df0 and df1 don't seem to persist when you save the config.

2 months later - answer - you can cofigure to default to what you like. You can save different configurations, and one of them is your default that will start automatically with core. You can also setup MiSTer FPGA to automatically start last core, basically making it act as real computer, if you always use only single core.
Old 22 December 2022, 00:42   #314
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Mister uses HDR now. Good for fans of CRT filters. Color conversion to DCI P3 works fine for me.