English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 30 August 2019, 10:05   #21
britelite

Oh, and the game looks really nice, looking forward to trying it out!
Old 30 August 2019, 10:06   #22
AJCopland

It looks amazing, can't believe that's OCS!
Old 30 August 2019, 10:31   #23
dony

Quote:
Originally Posted by steril707 View Post
i reckon there a lot more ecs machines out there in the wild than there are aga ones.
And why do you complain if this game looks better than most aga stuff anyway...
+1.000!

Last edited by dony; 30 August 2019 at 10:38.
Old 30 August 2019, 10:37   #24
dony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Firstly i’m not moaning about the A500 version as clearly its pushing the hardware and looks set to be a stunning game, but the only downer from my point of view is the 320x191 playarea giving those pre Team 17 black bars top and bottom (or all bottom i think Alex said on Twitch atm) so...

This question to Alex, would it be possible to alter the game for faster machines (AGA+) to have the game full screen or at least 320x231 (25 for the HUD).

Just extending the skyview with those 40 pixels will greatly enhance the experience on a large screen with not a large black estate area.
Personally I believe that losing compatibility with every Amiga out there (and even with the stock AGA machines, as you're suggesting) just to gain 40 vertical pixels is just not worth it. Every compromise has its cost and the 40 vertical pixels is one I can bear...

I think Metro Siege looks absolutely great as it is and I hope that the final version would be of the same quality as the one we've seen.

Last edited by dony; 30 August 2019 at 10:45.
Old 30 August 2019, 10:39   #25
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
The game looks great, but the machine limits are clearly visible.
And that's what is making it challenging and fun to code. Even a hobby coder can get near the limits of the machine if she or he tries hard enough. Don't forget that most Amiga games are developed for fun. So this is an important factor. In the end you have a great game which runs on any classic Amiga which ever existed.

An AGA game needs so much more time and resources, and even then you get comments that it doen't really look like an AGA-game, which happened to mcgeezer's Rygar.

Personally I also prefer OCS/ECS games because they give me more nostalgic feelings. AGA was very short-lived and marked the Amiga's decline.
Old 30 August 2019, 10:44   #26
dony

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Personally I also prefer OCS/ECS games because they give me more nostalgic feelings. AGA was very short-lived and marked the Amiga's decline.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 30 August 2019, 10:49   #27
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Nice looking game. I noticed that the NPC in green pants with a hole around the knee suddenly had complete pants once he was on the ground
Old 30 August 2019, 11:06   #28
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dony View Post
Personally I believe that losing compatibility with every Amiga out there (and even with the stock AGA machines, as you're suggesting) just to gain 40 vertical pixels is just not worth it. Every compromise has its cost and the 40 vertical pixels is one I can bear...

I think Metro Siege looks absolutely great as it is and I hope that the final version would be of the same quality as the one we've seen.
I’m not suggesting just have a single version, obviously for NTSC compatibility it could stay as it is (centered screen for PAL OCS owners) but for PAL owners with AGA (the + was not above AGA but AGA and above) a version with full screen would be the icing on the cake, i wasn’t implying losing compatibility for anyone.
Old 30 August 2019, 12:03   #29
saimo

Technically very, very good! In particular, the palette, the characters, and the engine are excellent!
Just a question: is there more background variety in the same level, or is memory all used up already?
Congratulations and good luck!

Last edited by saimo; 30 August 2019 at 12:11.
Old 30 August 2019, 12:54   #30
tom256

Game looks better than Strangers AGA, and requires far less powerful hardware. I hope it will use additional RAM memory Looks like truly AAA Amiga OCS/ECS game
Old 30 August 2019, 14:19   #31
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
[...] All is in blue-brown washed palette and i suppose it's cooper gradient to maxing up color count.
Don't get me wrong. Game looks nice and it's really good looking OCS game. [...]
Washed blue-brown palette ? Maybe the brightness setting of your screen has to be checked.

Old 30 August 2019, 14:24   #32
Solo Kazuki

Everything is like thru smoked glass. Overall some low contrast like.
Give me some colour which is not blue-orange-brown color line.
Almost no reds, only few greens (pants and leaves) and even if, colors are just low contrast. Sorry, but cannot see these "over 60 colors".

Compare with this:

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 30 August 2019 at 14:39.
Old 30 August 2019, 14:25   #33
Master484

This looks really amazing. Great graphics, well designed palette and copper use, this looks almost like a Neo Geo game.

Also I like the animations and how the enemies react when they're hit; there is a real feeling of "impact" when you punch people, which is very important in games like this.

And the gameplay looks fast, which is good; no waiting, levels seem to progress fast and lots of enemies come all the time, just like in Streets of Rage and other classic examples of the genre.

The only thing that I don't like, like someone already mentioned, is the idea of the unlockable fighter. I would rather have all fighters available right away, especially because the roster only has 3 fighters, and so locking one of them also locks 33 % of the player moves and playability.

But other than that, great job so far, this really looks like an arcade game designed for an Amiga OCS based arcade machine.
Old 30 August 2019, 14:43   #34
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I am going against the wave with this, but I do like the fact that there is a locked character.

Having a new character after we finish the game once, gives a new experience for a new play.

I would leave the option as is.

(also I can bet that if a cracktro / trainer is made for this game after release, the option to have all fighters from the start will be available - just as sure as 100 pence will buy a pound ; thus, for the second time, I think it's better to have a locked character in the game - for the non cheaters ).
Old 30 August 2019, 14:48   #35
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Almost no reds, only few greens (pants and leaves). Sorry, but cannot see these "over 60 colors".

Compare with this:
Well given the game is still very much in active development and things can change.. Palette looks very decent to my eyes, each to their own.

I still can't believe after all these years I`m actually witnessing a good looking side-scrolling brawler on the Amiga.
Old 30 August 2019, 14:58   #36
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Palette choices are a very subjective thing, but for me it's a very appealing look of lifted shadows leading to those pastel tones, which leads to more subtle anti-aliasing and blending of colours and nice to see an Amiga game with a definite art style.

A development like this gets a definite thumbs up from me, let's hope the gameplay is everything that is promised.

great efforts all round
Old 30 August 2019, 14:59   #37
saimo

Quote:
Evidently you like highly saturated colors, but that doesn't mean that the palette is not good.

Please note that:
* in the real world (as depicted in this game), highly saturated colors are rare, so using such colors would rather yield a worse result (for example, the skin of the people in the Fightin' Spirit screenshot you posted is overly glowing and unrealistic, even considering the cartoonish style);
* hightly saturated colors don't mix well, and that's a big no when, as in this case, one has few colors to play with.

Check out Flink, The Chaos Engine, Darkmere, and also Superfrog, which, being pixelled in a very cartoonish style, does call for brialliant colors, to see which colors four different and very skilled artists chose for those high quality games Also, you might want to check out the palette-related discussions on Pixelation (a sort of online school about pixelling where you can find extremely skilled and pro pixellers).

The Metro Siege palette is technically excellent.

Quote:
Almost no reds, only few greens (pants and leaves) and even if, colors are just low contrast.
Low contrast is a good thing: it's precisely what allows to mix colors nicely and obtain pleasant and effective combinations/ramps.

Quote:
Sorry, but cannot see these "over 60 colors".
The fact that you can't see them doesn't mean that they aren't there. For example, this screenshot...

... has 65 colors (59 in the play area).

Last edited by saimo; 30 August 2019 at 15:10.
Old 30 August 2019, 15:12   #38
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
Just a question: is there more background variety in the same level, or is memory all used up already?
There are more parts of the level, not shown in the video. We're tight memory wise but tileset work for the level is not complete yet.
Old 30 August 2019, 15:13   #39
trydowave

Quote:
Almost no reds, only few greens (pants and leaves) and even if, colors are just low contrast. Sorry, but cannot see these "over 60 colors".

Compare with this:
Fightin Spirit is a great looking game but then so is Metro Seige; just in a different way. Both could quite happily live in an arcade or be on a console and thats all im interested about.
It has a lovely pastel look to it. Having very vibrant colours doesn't always make for a good palette as anyone whos played Captain Planet can attest to. On top of that it has multiple layers of parallax where figntin spirit has none.

As for this AGA stuff.. the guy has stated that he has a thing for pushing OCS machines to their limits in order to prove that they could of gone head to head with a snes or megadrive back in the day.
AGA came after so that defeats the point in what hes trying to accomplish. If AGA is something you want either find someone who cares about that or try it yourself if your a coder?
Not to mention the people making this game already have enough on their plates as it is making the A500 version

Micheal's obsession with pushing the A500 (the amigas most of us had back then) is something I share. The major difference is that finally, here comes a guy thats got the know-how and talent to actually do it. And that should be praised!

I for one think this is the most exciting thing to happen to the Amiga community in... well.. i cant remember how long. A much needed boost of positivity, the love for making games and a can do attitude is a welcome return.

Last edited by trydowave; 30 August 2019 at 15:35.
Old 30 August 2019, 15:17   #40
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
The game reminds me Streets of Rage - which is good! Only it has better graphics. The palette is perfect for my eyes.
And I like the unlockable character idea.