English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 June 2020, 23:15   #61
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Out of interest, what Screenmode is your emulated Amiga using?
1920 x 1080p via Picasso96 and the UAEGFX driver.
Old 12 June 2020, 23:21   #62
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
1920 x 1080p via Picasso96 and the UAEGFX driver.
And Colourdepth?
Old 12 June 2020, 23:30   #63
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
And Colourdepth?
32bit BGRA (24-bit color).
Old 12 June 2020, 23:36   #64
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Interesting - thank you! I must admit that I have had no palette irregularities since I started using RTG with my 1200, I just wondered what you had as your settings.
Old 13 June 2020, 00:11   #65
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Interesting - thank you! I must admit that I have had no palette irregularities since I started using RTG with my 1200, I just wondered what you had as your settings.
As PeterK explained, my issue is likely with DOPUS 4 sharing pens with other apps. This doesn't explain why this would happen upon a restart (from a non-running state) of FS-UAE but otherwise, I'm not that worried about it. It doesn't pop up very often.

Otherwise, RTG rocks, doesn't it?
Old 13 June 2020, 00:46   #66
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
@PeterK

Here's the USB Drive icon.
It should be an OS4 icon, Peter will be more precise, the image is not well centered, I cropped it and created 4 Dual-PNGs of different size, 2 with Glow and 2 animated fakes, possibly head with these

With Dopus4 you are using 256 Colors or Workbench:Use ?

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 June 2020 at 16:01.
Old 13 June 2020, 01:18   #67
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
It should be an OS4 icon, Peter will be more precise, the image is not well centered, I cropped it and created 4 Dual-PNGs of different size, 2 with Glow and 2 animated fakes, possibly head with these

With Dopus4 you are using 256 Colors or Workbench:Use ?
I'm not worried about the icon. I would have to switch out my entire iconset since it affects all of them. This issue is so rare, it's not worth the effort, but thanks. I downloaded all of these from OS4Depot and Mason's site. I followed Mason's instructions for switching them out and I've never run into other issues with them. It's likely an issue with FS-UAE.

I was more interested in how Dopus functions and why it occassionally goes wonky. PeterK went a long way in explaining the issue. It happens to other people as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dopusconfig.png
Views:	172
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	67746  
Old 13 June 2020, 09:39   #68
AMIGASYSTEM

If you use VisualPrefs or similar programs, they may be the ones causing the problem, i have never had this problem with AfA OS with RTG screens.
Old 13 June 2020, 09:45   #69
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
If you use VisualPrefs or similar programs, they may be the ones causing the problem, I have never had this problem with AfA OS with RTG screens.
I've considered VisualPrefs as the culprit as well. I'm not a fan of Birdie, so, unfortunately it's all we got if we want to update the look of the Window borders and gadgets. Thanks for following this and offering suggestions, it's appreciated.
Old 13 June 2020, 10:08   #70
AMIGASYSTEM

It is not the only one, VisualPrefs belongs to the past and is not ideal on RTG Screens, the best solution is AfA OS, cleaner and better graphics.
Old 13 June 2020, 10:25   #71
drHirudo
Amiga user

Here is MUI 5.0 on 1080p resolution:

[ Show youtube player ]

I have the unregistered version, but it works very nice and no issues with fonts reading.
Old 13 June 2020, 11:53   #72
PeterK

@Weaselrama

The icon is ok, it's a normal ColorIcon. Is your USB icon used as a deficon in ENVARC:sys like def_usb.info ?

If so, do you know that my icon.library displays all deficons ghosted (50 % transparent) by default? Maybe that's what you mean with halfcolored. You can disable that globally with my command "IconGhostingOff" or by adding a tooltype "NoGhost" to the deficon. But to do that for a disk icon you have to convert the icon type to tool or drawer first, add the tooltype, and then change the type back to disk again.

Or is this usb.info loaded by a device driver in Devs:dosdrivers? If there is such a device like USB check the mount entries for the Stacksize value. Sometimes these Stacksize values are much too low for some device drivers. It should be 4096 at least.

Or is "Games" an app-icon (iconified) or for drag and drop?

Btw, which version of my icon.library are you using? TC020 or 68020? If the latter, try my command "NoDelayedImage2" to see whether something goes wrong with the delayed color mapping.

Why are you using a screen setting of 16 colors in Dopus4, why not 256? The number of free pens and the palette can also be influenced by tools like VisualPrefs or maybe patches like MCP. And I don't know if you have the choice in the MUI5 configuration to use either an RTG TrueColor mode or lots of screen colors and pens for all this eye candy, since I don't use MUI5 because it needs too much stack.

Last edited by PeterK; 13 June 2020 at 12:28.
Old 13 June 2020, 14:32   #73
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
@Weaselrama

The icon is ok, it's a normal ColorIcon. Is your USB icon used as a deficon in ENVARC:sys like def_usb.info
No. OS 3.9 allows you to right-click the icon, bring up the info window, and drag and drop a new icon onto it. In fact, that's how I changed all the def_icons. Curiously in OS 3.9, there are no def_icons for drives, just folders and the trashcan plus all the file-types. You have to use the deficons app to add new types. Deficons is not for the feint of heart although I did use it once to restore the .png icon to .png files globally because I boogered something up mucking about. I muck about quite a bit with my Amiga configuration. . The icons are PNG icons from OS4Depot and Mason's page. I couldn't figure out how to save a drive icon so I loaded it in icon editor and saved it to send to you.

Quote:
If so, do you know that my icon.library displays all deficons ghosted (50 % transparent) by default? Maybe that's what you mean with halfcolored. You can disable that globally with my command "IconGhostingOff" or by adding a tooltype "NoGhost" to the deficon. But to do that for a disk icon you have to convert the icon type to tool or drawer first, add the tooltype, and then change the type back to disk again.
No, no...the "halfcolor" issue has to do with colors in games - I completely misread/misinterpreted something I read in a WinUAE thread. I'm happy with the default setting visually. My icons look awesome!

Quote:
Or is this usb.info loaded by a device driver in Devs:dosdrivers? If there is such a device like USB check the mount entries for the Stacksize value. Sometimes these Stacksize values are much too low for some device drivers. It should be 4096 at least.

Or is "Games" an app-icon (iconified) or for drag and drop?
It's just a drive icon like the other drive icons.

Quote:
Btw, which version of my icon.library are you using? TC020 or 68020? If the latter, try my command "NoDelayedImage2" to see whether something goes wrong with the delayed color mapping.
TC020. I wish I had screenshots of what the 4.1 icons looked like BEFORE you're wonderful new version of icon.library which you've updated twice since then I believe. They weren't awful, but there were some jagged edges that TC020 cleaned up really well - I'm extremely pleased with it.

Quote:
Why are you using a screen setting of 16 colors in Dopus4, why not 256? The number of free pens and the palette can also be influenced by tools like VisualPrefs or maybe patches like MCP. And I don't know if you have the choice in the MUI5 configuration to use either an RTG TrueColor mode or lots of screen colors and pens for all this eye candy, since I don't use MUI5 because it needs too much stack.
AMIGASYSTEM's question called all this out (or approached it) as well.

1. I've changed DOPUS to 256 colors.
2. I too have wondered if Visualprefs isn't part of the issue.
3. I don't use MCP; I agree about MUI 5. If something isn't broke, don't fix it/change it and MUI 4 works just fine and is very fast. Besides the weird palette issue after running a MUI app, I just thought it was gawd-awful slow and right now, my Amiga is FAST at everything it does. I've put a lot of time into it over the past year.

Well...let's see what happens with changing DOPUS to 256 colors. As far as the funky icons thingie, it only happens rarely and only after I fire up FS-UAE for a session and FS-UAE might be the culprit here. It's not a huge issue. I've never seen the funky icon thing happen any other way and a reset of FS-UAE always fixes it.

Thanks, Peter, for all your input and interest!

Last edited by Weaselrama; 13 June 2020 at 14:38. Reason: add info
Old 13 June 2020, 15:12   #74
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Curiously in OS 3.9, there are no def_icons for drives, just folders and the trashcan plus all the file-types.
No in OS 3.9 the "def_icons for drive" are there but they are "invisible on the Workbench" to see them you have to change their status as explained by Peter, or you have to rename "Disk.info" and copy them to the root of any drive, see video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Xr...ew?usp=sharing
Old 13 June 2020, 15:22   #75
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
No in OS 3.9 the "def_icons for drive" are there but they are "invisible on the Workbench" to see them you have to change their status as explained by Peter, or you have to rename "Disk.info" and copy them to the root of any drive, see video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Xr...ew?usp=sharing
Ok, I understand what you're saying. Still, I can change my drive icons at-will by the method suggested by Mason Merz. However, this will help in the future if I want to send someone a diskicon.info file. It would be much easier. Thanks, AMIGASYSTEM.
Old 13 June 2020, 15:25   #76
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
It is not the only one, VisualPrefs belongs to the past and is not ideal on RTG Screens, the best solution is AfA OS, cleaner and better graphics.
I haven't followed your AfA OS thread for a while. Have you made AfA OS available once again? I'd love to try it.
Old 13 June 2020, 15:31   #77
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

add info

@PeterK

Here's the iconset on my Workbench. I've tried for a "unified" look through-out. The Octamed icons on the right are just a throw-back to an earlier era and sort of a little shrine to Teijo Kinnunen.

EDIT: Sorry, this isn't a higher-quality screenie. SGrab sometimes does this with PNGs. Most of the time they are full resolution. I probably should have tried a JPEG instead. Oh well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forpeterk.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	67751  

Last edited by Weaselrama; 13 June 2020 at 15:42.
Old 13 June 2020, 15:38   #78
AMIGASYSTEM

For the moment no, as already said I should solve the problem of Picasso and AkDatatype Drivers now become commercial.

In any case you can easily integrate AfA-OS 4.8 into your system, eventually I can help you to do so.
Old 13 June 2020, 16:49   #79
PeterK

Quote:
Here's the iconset on my Workbench...
Yeah, looks really great with Mason's icons.

Quote:
In any case you can easily integrate AfA-OS 4.8 into your system, eventually I can help you to do so.
... hmm, better make a backup first ...
Old 13 June 2020, 17:25   #80
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Yeah, looks really great with Mason's icons.

... hmm, better make a backup first ...
I make a backup every day and maintain a "lastknowngood" backup once a week...