English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 May 2019, 13:17   #1
Sim085

Format CF card

Hello, I am trying to format a CF card to use both in WinUAE and on real Amiga. I already had Workbench installed on this CF card and therefore I know it should work. However I am now trying to follow this tutorial (https://www.everythingamiga.com/2018...ng-winuae.html) to install Workbench on the CF card from WinUAE but all the time I get the attached error (block zero write failed..).

I am opening WinUAE in Administrator mode and therefore do not know what to do. When selecting the hard disk I can confirm Read/Write is set to YES.

Would anyone know how to pre-prep a CF card so I can install Workbench on it from WinUAE?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png
Views:	109
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	63097  
Old 16 May 2019, 14:17   #2
Tomislav

I will just quote Toni from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Try ticking "Lock" checkbox in Harddrive panel. If it won't help, diskpart clean command usually fixes it. (Search other threads for details)
Old 16 May 2019, 15:28   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

Tutorial Video: Initializing Formatting MemoryCard with WinUAE for Real Amiga:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vv...9GqOHtJDFmeEfy

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 May 2019 at 15:36.
Old 16 May 2019, 19:10   #4
Sim085

I have tried lock option but still did not work. I am starting to suspect it is a defected CF card reader. Clean All from Diskpart looks to work coz I can see the light in the CF card reader beeping. However even format from Windows 10 doesn't work.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:14   #5
Sim085

Just for the benefit of anyone who may have a similar problem in the future. In my case this looks to have been related to a defected CF to USB adapter (or some incompatibility between this and windows10). Anyways, tried an CF to IDE and it worked.
Old 24 May 2019, 00:39   #6
AC/DC HACKER!

I came across this with a CF not along ago, a Kingston... If you cannot get the CF to format with Windows, or Amiga anymore...then the Card has become Locked into Read Only Mode.. The card is starting to fail, and it's a protective measure so you may copy the data off it. Now it's locked..and I haven't found any way to unlock that event. I have a much of software for it, and used DuckDuckGo.com to search also... Nada. Get a new CF or MicroSD.

Something that Toni suggested a while ago, and I've also read it elsewhere..that when you're using a CF or MicroSD..don't FILL the partitions completely to the end. Leave some MBs (megabytes) free. This will help extend it for a longer time. So, once you have the dAta off...wreck the CF before recycling...if there's anything really person you don't want recovered.