English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 26 November 2018, 15:33   #1
Suncroft

OS3.9 No Mouse

Hi,

Just getting back into the Amiga after 25+ years so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I have an 1200 with ACA 1233n and Indivision AGA Mk2 running OS 3.9 classic. My Amigakit optical mouse has stopped working when I boot into 3.9 off my flash disk but I can move the mouse around the desktop with the keyboard keys and the mouse works fine if I boot up via floppy into 3.1 so its not a mouse or hardware problem. Does anyone have any ideas or pointers at what I should look at?

Many thanks

Old 26 November 2018, 16:34   #2
Daedalus

Do you have software installed for swapping the mouse to the other port by any chance? Have a look in WBStartup, S:Startup-Sequence and S:User-Startup for any suspicious programs or patches. Disable them to see if it makes a difference.
Old 27 November 2018, 10:54   #3
Suncroft

Daedalus, thanks for the reply and advice. I did not find any mouse related software in the startup files. I have also realised that I was incorrect in stating that the mouse worked in 3.1 via floppy boot, it does not. However I have identified that the issue seems to relate to the ACA 1233n. If I remove this card the mouse works fine, if I install this card the mouse cannot be moved. Again though everything else seems to work.

Has anyone else seen this issue related to an ACA 1233n card?

Thanks

Old 27 November 2018, 12:18   #4
Suncroft

Update, I think this is a power supply issue having spoke to AmigaKit where I purchased the ACA 1233n. Seems the optical mouse needs a certain amount of power that it may not be getting. I find now that if I leave the ACA 1233n connected but remove DVI to HDMI connection from the AGA Mk2 the mouse is working fine. I think the combination of the ACA 1233n and AGA Mk2 is just too much draw on the PSU to allow the optical mouse to also work. Does anyone else have any experience of running these cards on a standard A1200 PSU? In the meantime I have ordered an uprated PSU.

Old 27 November 2018, 13:19   #5
roondar

An uprated PSU comes highly recommended. A new PSU in general isn't a bad idea for most Amiga's still using the original one. Especially as PSU's tend to lose a percentage of their capacity over time and most A1200 PSU's are very old.

I can't say for sure about the ACA cards, but do I remember the manual of my Blizzard 1230 having a recommendation to get a better PSU if combined with other hardware.
Old 27 November 2018, 17:41   #6
Daedalus

Yeah, that's possibly it. The mouse port power comes through a resistor, so the voltage drops proportionately with the current draw. If the original PSU isn't working as well as it should due to age, it could be low enough that the extra drop at the port might be enough to stop the device working.

Personally I haven't had a problem running a lot of extra hardware from standard PSUs, but they've always been in decent condition electrically. Dying capacitors reduce a PSU's ability to regulate and provide stable power, so depending on the type of PSU you have, it could also be refurbished to get it working well again.