English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 March 2022, 16:56   #141
LessNick
Amiga

Big grin

Hello there o/

Can anyone tell me how to correctly set params an .info file in WB1.3 for that hippo player opens on click and MOD plays?

If set the settings as in my screenshot, then the player start itself, but its playlist is empty.

If i write in the cli:

Code:
sys:hippo/hip music.mod
then everything starts correctly, but .info file don’t work.

And does Hippo Player support WB1.3 at all?
Old 26 March 2022, 20:18   #142
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessNick View Post
Hello there o/

Can anyone tell me how to correctly set params an .info file in WB1.3 for that hippo player opens on click and MOD plays?

If set the settings as in my screenshot, then the player start itself, but its playlist is empty.

If i write in the cli:

Code:
sys:hippo/hip music.mod
then everything starts correctly, but .info file don’t work.

And does Hippo Player support WB1.3 at all?
It seems that this particular use case has never been supported
Fear not! The situation will be remedied forthwith, in kick1.3 compatible manner.
Old 26 March 2022, 20:25   #143
LessNick
Amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
Fear not! The situation will be remedied forthwith, in kick1.3 compatible manner.
Thank you very much in advance!
Old 29 March 2022, 18:24   #144
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Koobo and all!

I was wondering if you have the same "issues" as me with DIGI and Impulse files:
  • When playing DIGI files, my screen "jumps", no crash but my Amiga becomes kind of unusable
  • When playing Impulse files, there are some MuForce hits.

(Let me know if I can help with more information, samples, etc.)

Finally, would you think that HippoPlayer could support MIDI, MP3, and MPG file formats?

Cheers!
Old 29 March 2022, 20:24   #145
daxb

MP3 is supported already.
Old 29 March 2022, 20:34   #146
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Daxb!

Not in my experience but I will try again and confirm with other MP3 files though...

Update: I tried again and HiP doesn't play this MP3 because of "Not enough memory!". It must try to load the whole file in Chip maybe? (I have about 1Mb of Chip and 42Mb of Fast memory left. HiP reports the same error on a MPG file. Other players can play these files, maybe because they "stream" them?)

Take care!

Last edited by tygre; 29 March 2022 at 22:43.
Old 30 March 2022, 02:13   #147
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Hi Daxb!

Not in my experience but I will try again and confirm with other MP3 files though...

Update: I tried again and HiP doesn't play this MP3 because of "Not enough memory!". It must try to load the whole file in Chip maybe? (I have about 1Mb of Chip and 42Mb of Fast memory left. HiP reports the same error on a MPG file. Other players can play these files, maybe because they "stream" them?)

Take care!
many MP3's do work in hippoplayer but for some reason several others do not, all of my Matt Gray Reformation MP3's fail to play except for CD1 and BONUS mp3's in Reformation1, REF1/Last Ninja mp3's and everything in Reformation 2/3/4 fail in hippoplayer with "File Error".

My vast quantity of free/royalty free youtube ripped music using youtube-dl to rip to mp3 all work perfectly in hippoplayer, so not sure whats going on.

I even tried looking at the codec information for the reformation Mp3's to see why nearly all dont play and part of refo1 works, they all seem to be the same codec/bitrate/etc according to VLC so no idea why many mp3's fail.
Old 30 March 2022, 02:20   #148
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi DisasterIncarna!

Thanks for your test! The plot thickens!

Cheers!
Old 30 March 2022, 06:32   #149
koobo

Quote:
Hi Daxb!

I tried again and HiP doesn't play this MP3 because of "Not enough memory!". It must try to load the whole file in Chip maybe? (I have about 1Mb of Chip and 42Mb of Fast memory left. HiP reports the same error on a MPG file. Other players can play these files, maybe because they "stream" them?)
Hippo does not load MP3 files into memory, they are streamed. However, several memory buffers are needed for playing. You can control the size of these buffers in "Prefs/Play-2/Sample buffer". Setting a small value will decrease CHIP memory usage but will also increase chances of skipping in playback with low CPU power systems.
Old 30 March 2022, 06:38   #150
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
many MP3's do work in hippoplayer but for some reason several others do not, all of my Matt Gray Reformation MP3's fail to play except for CD1 and BONUS mp3's in Reformation1, REF1/Last Ninja mp3's and everything in Reformation 2/3/4 fail in hippoplayer with "File Error".

My vast quantity of free/royalty free youtube ripped music using youtube-dl to rip to mp3 all work perfectly in hippoplayer, so not sure whats going on.

I even tried looking at the codec information for the reformation Mp3's to see why nearly all dont play and part of refo1 works, they all seem to be the same codec/bitrate/etc according to VLC so no idea why many mp3's fail.
MP3 playback is done using the MPEGA.library so it is likely the limitations arise from there.

I also have the Reformation files and a quick test with Ref4/Arkanoid worked with Hippo in FS-UAE. Does that one not work for you?
Old 30 March 2022, 07:08   #151
koobo

Quote:

I was wondering if you have the same "issues" as me with DIGI and Impulse files:
  • When playing DIGI files, my screen "jumps", no crash but my Amiga becomes kind of unusable
  • When playing Impulse files, there are some MuForce hits.

(Let me know if I can help with more information, samples, etc.)

Finally, would you think that HippoPlayer could support MIDI, MP3, and MPG file formats?
DIGI support is in the same state that it was in 1990s, I haven't tried those recently There are two different formats and players, DIGIBooster and DIGIBooster Pro. Which is the problematic one?

Impulse files are played using the Impulse deliplayer. This is also used by DeliTracker and EaglePlayer. I don't remember getting any Enforcer hits from that. Apparently MuForce is basically a newer version of Enforcer.

So if you get similar hits from Deli and/or Eagle, then it is likely the Impulse deliplayer is buggy.
Old 30 March 2022, 14:57   #152
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Koobo!

Thanks for your help! I'll try changing the sizes of the buffers this evening

I'll also check what format is the DIGI file that "jumps" my screen.

It's interesting because with DeliTracker, I can play this Impulse file just fine, but it causes "hits" with both HiP and EaglePlayer... maybe DeliTracker improved its Impulse player more recently?

(Absolutely: MuForce is a better Enforcer )

Cheers!
Old 30 March 2022, 18:18   #153
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
MP3 playback is done using the MPEGA.library so it is likely the limitations arise from there.

I also have the Reformation files and a quick test with Ref4/Arkanoid worked with Hippo in FS-UAE. Does that one not work for you?
unless i'm missing something, i dont have an Arkanoid mp3 in my Ref4 list/archive? did i miss something, a more expensive backing or something? I only have Arkanoid in Ref1 and all the Ref1/CD1 mp3's work, REF1/Bonus works and Ref1/LastNinja2 dont work along with all the other refo's.

Also all my MP3's work with AmigaAmp and i think that also uses MPEGA.library?, so again i'm stumped.

EDIT: Thought perhaps this was an issue with loooong filenames, noticed some of my refo (and other mp3's) have long, much longer filenames than others, so shortened a few, unfortunately this wasnt the issue but was worth a shot.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 30 March 2022 at 18:27.
Old 30 March 2022, 18:25   #154
daxb

DIGI should be the old Digibooster 8 channel format. DBM should be the newer DigiboosterPro format.
Old 30 March 2022, 19:24   #155
koobo

Quote:
unless i'm missing something, i dont have an Arkanoid mp3 in my Ref4 list/archive? did i miss something, a more expensive backing or something? I only have Arkanoid in Ref1 and all the Ref1/CD1 mp3's work, REF1/Bonus works and Ref1/LastNinja2 dont work along with all the other refo's.

Also all my MP3's work with AmigaAmp and i think that also uses MPEGA.library?, so again i'm stumped.

EDIT: Thought perhaps this was an issue with loooong filenames, noticed some of my refo (and other mp3's) have long, much longer filenames than others, so shortened a few, unfortunately this wasnt the issue but was worth a shot.
I thought I was trying a file from ReFourmation but it was actually from Reformation 1, sorry about the confusion. With ReFourmation files I can reproduce the issue, I will have a look at some point.
Old 30 March 2022, 20:42   #156
koobo

Quote:
I thought I was trying a file from ReFourmation but it was actually from Reformation 1, sorry about the confusion. With ReFourmation files I can reproduce the issue, I will have a look at some point.
At some point has now passed and the verdict is that MPEGA.library fails to open "Defcom.mp3" from ReFourmation. After removing the ID3 tags from the file MPEGA.library no longer fails to open the file. That is, removing the ID3 info from the file helped.
Old 30 March 2022, 21:26   #157
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
At some point has now passed and the verdict is that MPEGA.library fails to open "Defcom.mp3" from ReFourmation. After removing the ID3 tags from the file MPEGA.library no longer fails to open the file. That is, removing the ID3 info from the file helped.
hmm, might have to invest in a tag editor, never needed one before, also any idea what AmigaAmp is doing different?, i used it to play the defcom.mp3 you mentioned and it plays, checking info shows it is also using the mpega decoder.
Old 30 March 2022, 23:16   #158
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Koobo and all!

I just tried the same MP3 file, after increasing the buffer size in Preferences -> Play-2 -> Sample buffer but with the same behaviour: HiP doesn't seem to try to play the files and reports right away "Not enough memory!". (I couldn't see any other buffer size to change but maybe I missing something?)

As for the DIGI files making my screen "jump", they are indeed DIGI files, starting with hex DIGI Booster module, while DBM files, starting with DBM0, play well

Take care!

Last edited by tygre; 30 March 2022 at 23:16. Reason: Typos
Old 31 March 2022, 05:58   #159
koobo

Quote:

I just tried the same MP3 file, after increasing the buffer size in Preferences -> Play-2 -> Sample buffer but with the same behaviour: HiP doesn't seem to try to play the files and reports right away "Not enough memory!". (I couldn't see any other buffer size to change but maybe I missing something?)

As for the DIGI files making my screen "jump", they are indeed DIGI files, starting with hex DIGI Booster module, while DBM files, starting with DBM0, play well
I tried with memory setup 0.5M chip + 2M fast and Sample Buffer size 64k in Hippo, and "Desalmados.mp3" plays fine. I think there might be something else going on here.

Some questions:
- Does any mp3 file play on your set up with Hippo?
- Which version of Hippo are you using?
- Is your HippoPlayer.group file from the same installation archive?
- Do you have AHI enabled?
- What is the airspeed of a fully laden swallow?
Old 31 March 2022, 06:37   #160
koobo

Quote:
hmm, might have to invest in a tag editor, never needed one before, also any idea what AmigaAmp is doing different?, i used it to play the defcom.mp3 you mentioned and it plays, checking info shows it is also using the mpega decoder.
MPEGA.library offers a mechanism for a custom stream reader. This could be used to skip over the ID3v2 data in front of the data which seems to cause trouble. It could be that AmigaAmp uses this trick. Hippo does not, yet!