English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 February 2012, 18:45   #1
Nikodem

Fried PSU for Amiga 500.

I've recently broke my PSU for my Amiga while testing some new motherboard. I would like to repair it and what I'm seeking for is a schematic or service manual or both .

I would be very glad for this documents.
Old 17 February 2012, 23:53   #2
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikodem View Post
I've recently broke my PSU for my Amiga while testing some new motherboard. I would like to repair it and what I'm seeking for is a schematic or service manual or both .

I would be very glad for this documents.
I once had a regular PC power supply hooked up to mine in place of the brick. Can't remember the wiring, but as I recall, it wasn't too hard at all.
Old 18 February 2012, 00:09   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Better use an ATX one. If you can fit it inside the Amiga PSU that will be great. Just now I'm thinking in making "another" with this PSU http://www.computeruniverse.net/prod...sfx12v-3-2.asp. For the wiring you can cut the cables and so or just use this adaptor http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/de...x_adaptor.html with all the instructions there.
Old 18 February 2012, 00:43   #4
Amiga1992

Echoing the words of everyone here, just get an ATX PSU and put it inside the Amiga power supply case. It will be more reliable and powerful than that heavy old Amiga brick.
Old 18 February 2012, 12:33   #5
Nikodem

Okay, okay... I know that I can plug AT or ATX PSU as a replacement. I guess I can then replace my Amiga with a PC as a replacement :. This is not the case, I want to repair this old piece of hardware to restory my Amiga to it's full glory. So I would appreciate helpt in this .

(yeah, from time to time I'm keen on beeing quite orthodox)
Old 18 February 2012, 13:09   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikodem View Post
I guess I can then replace my Amiga with a PC as a replacement :.
Apples and oranges, man, apples and oranges
Old 18 February 2012, 18:37   #7
Nikodem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Apples and oranges, man, apples and oranges
Exactly. So how about helping me to fix my original Commodore-made PSU?
Old 18 February 2012, 19:03   #8
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Come guys, help the person, they've got a valid point (although replacing a PSU isn't the same as replacing a whole computer)

It's not as if you need an ATX PSU for an A500. On an A1200 they're useful, because the original PSU is quite weak, and on top of that, just try connecting 3.5 inch HDs and CD/DVD drives to it, no chance!
Old 18 February 2012, 20:24   #9
source
Zone Friend

I have not done it so take this with a gain of salt. I think you will have trouble getting into the PSU. I think they were glued shut and a as a result hard to get into. As for what usually fails someone else here can correct me are the caps inside. They are easily replaced. One thing to remember is that the caps are designed to hold a current and as such if you are not careful you can get quite a lifter from them. It the stars are aligned right you won't be around to finish the fix. I use a multi meter in volts mode and cross the 2 poles on the cap. you can watch the cap discharge through the meter. I hope this helps.
Old 19 February 2012, 00:57   #10
Nikodem

The PSU was damaged during testing an unknown board, so I guess that an overcurrent was the case that killed the PSU. Because of that I do not think that the caps might be dead, I'd rather think about rectifier diodes on the secondary side of the transformer and/or transistors on the primary side. Any guesses which elements are these?

I had no problem opening the PSU. It was not glued.
Old 21 February 2012, 19:05   #11
keitha1200

Probably not much help, (as I can't find the link), but I def remember reading a thread about using a laptop power supply, as a replacement.

Personally! 'looking now at my laptop power supply now' I 'reckon' it would 'easily' fit inside a PSU. Of course I have no knowledge if this would work or not.

Would be good; if a solution was found to the above problem
Old 22 February 2012, 03:14   #12
source
Zone Friend

No I don't sorry. My electronics knowledge is limited to removing through the hole caps and removing socket to get the indvision ECS to work properly in my A2000. I did replace the PSU in my A2000 with a new ATX one, but it was limited to soldering the correct wires together not doing fine tune diagnostics to figue out why it is not working.