English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 August 2021, 16:24   #1
stevelord

Personal computing on an Amiga in 2021

I recently took part in Solène's old computing challenge and wrote up my experience more or less exclusively using an Amiga for personal computing. In hindsight, upgrading hardware and installing a brand new OS from scratch wasn't the best starting point but it all worked out in the end.

Along the way I took the time to look at things I really love about Amiga OS, some of the extras I installed and included links to plenty of tutorials for people looking to create with their Amigas, physical or virtual. It was a proper labour of love for me to write, so I hope you enjoy it.
Old 05 August 2021, 17:14   #2
cloverskull

At first glance, this looks incredible. I look forward to reading it thoroughly later today. Thanks for writing this up!
Old 06 August 2021, 00:39   #3
ESC
Bad Banana

I liked the article, it was a very interesting read to say the least, got me thinking of maybe doing something similar myself

You got one part wrong however, you wrote this "Dread is an upcoming unaccelerated Amiga 500 Doom remake", it's not a remake, it's a Doom clone/like, just thought I'd inform you if you didn't know or wrote wrong by mistake
Old 06 August 2021, 01:45   #4
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Nice article. Apart from browsing the web, most things could be done on this old machine. But that is part of the problem we have in computing, we create more powerful stuff without fully realising the power of the existing stuff.
Old 06 August 2021, 08:18   #5
NovaCoder

Thanks, great read
Old 06 August 2021, 11:21   #6
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
I liked the article, it was a very interesting read to say the least, got me thinking of maybe doing something similar myself

You absolutely should. It's not all sweetness and light. There's more effort involved in getting things working. But there's definitely a sense of it all getting out of the way and letting you crack on to it.

Quote:
You got one part wrong however, you wrote this "Dread is an upcoming unaccelerated Amiga 500 Doom remake", it's not a remake, it's a Doom clone/like, just thought I'd inform you if you didn't know or wrote wrong by mistake

Thanks for pointing that out. I've been racking my head as to why I thought it was a remake/demake and I think it's probably because they were using doom assets earlier. I've changed it to Doom-like because I think "clone" underplays just how much hard work has gone into it!
Old 06 August 2021, 13:20   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks for the link and the interesting reading
Old 06 August 2021, 13:56   #8
yelo

What a fun read
Old 06 August 2021, 19:04   #9
amigang

Great little read! Hope you had fun on Amiga! The computer that never dies!!!
Old 23 October 2021, 03:37   #10
christoff522

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
I recently took part in Solène's old computing challenge and wrote up my experience more or less exclusively using an Amiga for personal computing. In hindsight, upgrading hardware and installing a brand new OS from scratch wasn't the best starting point but it all worked out in the end.

Along the way I took the time to look at things I really love about Amiga OS, some of the extras I installed and included links to plenty of tutorials for people looking to create with their Amigas, physical or virtual. It was a proper labour of love for me to write, so I hope you enjoy it.
You'll be happy to know, I read that in IBrowse on my Pimiga running in winuae, whilst listening to mods in imp3 streaming over the web.

I love Amiga...it's amazing what you were able to do with it. It just shows how much love that old hardware still gets!!!
Old 23 October 2021, 14:45   #11
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoff522 View Post
You'll be happy to know, I read that in IBrowse on my Pimiga running in winuae, whilst listening to mods in imp3 streaming over the web.

I had no idea it'd be readable on IBrowse but I just took a look. This gave me the biggest smile I've had all day. You're definitely doing it right!
Old 23 October 2021, 15:36   #12
christoff522

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
I had no idea it'd be readable on IBrowse but I just took a look. This gave me the biggest smile I've had all day. You're definitely doing it right!
Yeah the cool thing is it strips out anything it can't display, so usually it's just text and pictures. Which I think lets you just enjoy the important content. Glad I made you smile!! Personally I think my Pimiga looks better than my modern desktops.
Old 23 October 2021, 16:32   #13
Pyromania

Very cool read!