English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 20 June 2003, 17:42   #1
trance007

Desert Dream hidden parts

Hi,

Does anybody know how to reach the 2nd hidden part of the wonderfull demo ?

I discovered the first one, by booting on second disk with mouse and joystick button pressed, but I never find the 2nd one.

I have the MOD file from this part, found somewhere on the net, this is a nice little chip tune, but I never see the demo itself.

Any info welcome.

Old 18 August 2003, 16:36   #2
trance007

Hi,

I aksed Laxity himself, and here his answer :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxity
Hi again,

I regret to say that I am unsure exactly how to get to the second part. As
far as I remember, you get to the second part _thru_ the first hidden part...
meaning that if you press something (maybe mouse or keyboard), you might be
able to get to the second part...

Good luck!
Anders Emil
I made some try, but did'nt succeed, so, if anybody find the way, please, let me know.

Last edited by trance007; 23 June 2006 at 05:02.

Old 19 August 2003, 21:56   #3
mtb

Re: Desert Dream hidden parts

Quote:
Originally posted by trance007
Hi,

Does anybody know how to reach the 2nd hidden part of the wonderfull demo ?

I discovered the first one, by booting on second disk with mouse and joystick button pressed, but I never find the 2nd one.

I have the MOD file from this part, found somewhere on the net, this is a nice little chip tune, but I never see the demo itself.

Any info welcome.
I was looking for them too .

So you have found the first one, but for what i know ( i read it in a message from the kefrens aga first (?) demo ) the first part should be one the first disk and the second on a disk called minidemo dane.
Old 10 September 2003, 17:42   #4
trance007

Hi,

I just contacted the guy that ripped the Desert Dream modules some years ago (including the small one you can't hear in the demo).
He didn't know as he used a disc ripper to do this job, but he asked to Vention, the author of the _first_ hidden part.

Here is the Vention reply :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vention
Hi.

This seems to be chasing me through my life, at times I wonder why I didn't
just omit that string of text.

Here's what happened, that might explain it fully:
We only had one hidden part for Desert Dream. It was done by me before the
party and sent to hawkeye (pretty much all of kefrens would assemble at his
place, and leave together for the Gathering). But the disc with the hidden
part never arrived. So instead I went to hawkeye and eventually to the party
place. At the gathering I was code on the hidden part and helping Airwalk
out with some of his intros (he made quite a few). And we decided to put one
of these into DD. The trigger was put in my hidden part and for a while you
could access Airwalk's hidden part. Except that it didn't work. At all. So
at last we decided not to fix it, but just leaving the data on the disc. If
they're intact nobody knows. In theory its possible to locate the datas and
run the code. Given you know where to load it etc. But. Its a long shot. If
anyone still has the code is hard to say.
So, now my last hope is to find an experienced coder / cracker to have a chance to look at this hidden part.

I hope somebody will be able to help.

Last edited by trance007; 23 June 2006 at 05:02.

Old 01 February 2004, 03:28   #5
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

heh That's really weird that Laxity himself and Vention didn't know. I must admit that I have definitely seen 2 hidden parts for this demo but it's such a long time ago now I cannot remember!

I know, that's a lot of help... heh

So, I'd say that there are definitely 2 accessible hidden parts to the demo....
Old 23 June 2006, 05:01   #6
trance007

Hi,

When I was investigating for this second hidden part, I forget to mention the anwser of Airwalk :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwalk
I can't remember how to launch that "next hidden part", however I'm sure it's there coz as far as i remember I coded it. It must have been one of my very first releases as a programmer. Just think of it, ten years have past.. Those were the days..

Anyway, thank you for the flash back

Jesper Knudsen
Well, this is just to add to the confusion.

So, to summarize :
- Hidden part 1 is located on second disk of Desert Dream (accessed by booting the disk with mouse and joystick button pressed)
- Laxity thinks you get to the second part thru the first hidden part, but can't exactly remember how.
- Vention remember they included the hidden part 2 on the disc and put the trigger into the hidden part 1, but the trigger didn't work and was not fixed.
- Airwalk remember he coded hidden part 2 and is sure it's included on the disc.

Now, here is what can be read on the Kefrens first AGA Demo : "The Galemands-Intro" : (available HERE)

So, the second hidden part could actually be spread over 2 demos ?
50% on the Desert Dream disk 1
50% on the "D.A.N.E." demo (available HERE)

How the hell could you launch this hidden part, then ?

We asked Vention about this, and he said roughly:
"This piece of text must be written by someone, who thought he knew a real cool story ...
D.A.N.E. was made in a real great hurry and there was no place left on the disk for other code ..."
But if you look at the "D.A.N.E." credits, you will see ... "Code by Vention".

Still hoping for a solution.

Any help welcome.

Last edited by trance007; 23 June 2006 at 05:18.

Old 23 June 2006, 20:36   #7
Melroc

Send a message via ICQ to Melroc
He he...

This all reminds me of the mystical chainsaw in Maniac Mansion...

Old 01 March 2007, 18:58   #8
Vention

Hello.

I was searching for something and found this by pure chance (thank google)..

To clear this mess up:

* There are two hidden parts on disc 2 of Desert Dream.
* Part two simply would not work when triggered, so the trigger was removed
* Part two is STILL on disc 2. Trouble is that nobody knows how much is left. If I remember correctly then part 2 would be right after part 1 on the disc. But as DD was still being made, its quite possible that some of it has been overwritten.
* (EDIT) Part two was REALLY hard to find, you had to press a couple of keys during a text fade out in part 1. So chances are nobody ever would have found it. Except if they looked at the code ofcourse. ;-)

I think I still have the code for this somewhere hidden away. But its a long shot finding it.. I can say that part 2 is amazingly funny and VERY much an Airwalk production.

A bit of sad news though. The A600HD on which much of both DD and the hidden part was made died 6 months ago.. cry..

Best regards to all of you..
Martin Gram (Vention / CNCD & Polka Brothers & Kefrens)

Old 01 March 2007, 19:01   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If it was the hard drive that blew up, I work for a company which designs (amongst other things) hard drive controllers. If you have not already thrown the drive away I offer my services/contacts to recover as much data from it as possible for free.
Old 01 March 2007, 19:02   #10
Vention

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
I work for a company which designs (amongst other things) hard drive controllers.

If you have not already thrown the drive away I offer my services/contacts to recover as much data from it as possible for free.
Drive still works! I think it was agnus that went for a long long walk.

Old 01 March 2007, 19:03   #11
Dizzy
Pirate

Hi and welcome Vention

Sound like interesting info
Old 01 March 2007, 20:26   #12
Zack

As your HD still works, I could donate a working A600 motherboard to you (only have defective sound) or perhaps help you with transferring the HD to a CD/DVD though WinUAE or something? I live in Valby, so that should be relatively close to you :-) Just let me know.

Best regards,
Jacob
Old 01 March 2007, 21:07   #13
Vention

I went out and got myself an IDE cable so I can hook it up to my pc. So all is well. It was great though, I had just bought several PCM netcards for the A600 because I was going to test something Kalms / TBL had made.

Guess that will have to wait.

Old 01 March 2007, 22:53   #14
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Wow, Kalms made something that runs on 68000? Interesting!
Old 06 March 2007, 01:16   #15
VermillioN

On the Mindcandy 2 DVD the commentary mentions holding both amiga keys, both mouse buttons and fire.. as to which hidden part this invokes I'm not sure.

Old 04 May 2009, 18:33   #16
DH
Global Moderator

I think it is time to resurrect this thread

Just over two years have passed (or 16 years for Desert Dream) and it looks like no-one has been able to find this 2nd hidden part Judging by what is written above, it's going to be very difficult to find out what is true and what is myth.

I have tried repeatedly with different combinations etc. to find this 2nd hidden part, and have not stumbled across it.

Maybe someone who knows what to look for can have a look at the code and either rip the hidden part off and make it an .exe or tell us if it's still there in its entirety and how to access it

It would be so cool if someone could just have a look to let us know if it's worth pursuing the 2nd hidden part.

As mentioned earlier in the thread I also found this at http://bitworld.bitfellas.org/demo.php?id=9599

Quote:
Well, it seems like nobody have been able to find the second hidden part in Desert Dream, right!?.
For the interested phreaks i can reval, that half of the part is located
on D.D disk1. And the other half is located in the minidemo D.A.N.E. Nothing Is Impossible here!.
If this is true, then maybe a coder could look at both demo's to see what needs to be done
Old 04 May 2009, 19:04   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
I have tried repeatedly with different combinations etc. to find this 2nd hidden part, and have not stumbled across it.
Vention said it himself above: the trigger has been REMOVED because it didn't work, so the only way to access this part is by poking through the code, IF it is present at all and not overwritten by other newer DD code.
Old 04 May 2009, 19:37   #18
extralife

What Akira said and Vention "himself", it "does" not exist, I heard talk about some of the code even was supposed to be on "Dane" and some on the DD and that in combination those would unlock it LOL, I also heard talk, that the first part in the "extra" demo was the 1. hidden part and that the chessboard with the greets was the 2nd, who knows ? hell if even vention himself doesn't, I wouldn't hold my breath, guess it's one of those secret pyramid thingies that we will never unraveled...........on a side note, if it did exist, i'm quite sure someone as skilled as stingray or galahad even, would have dugg out some clues by now ,so imho I think its a hoax

Last edited by extralife; 04 May 2009 at 19:40. Reason: :P didn't see u posted that 2 part rumour aswell >-<
Old 04 May 2009, 19:43   #19
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Vention said it himself above: the trigger has been REMOVED because it didn't work, so the only way to access this part is by poking through the code, IF it is present at all and not overwritten by other newer DD code.
Mostly everything mentioned above in my earlier post was done before I found this thread and I was just speaking of my actual efforts prior to reading it. Believe me, I tried 16 years ago and I've just stopped trying

As Vention coded the hidden parts, can anyone contact him to see if he can rip the code off and create an .exe of it, if it is there.

Maybe It's not worth it, but curiosity of mine and probably others too, would love to see it if it can be done. Come on, we have waited over 16 years for this and surely someone can tell us whether it's worth it or not.
Old 04 May 2009, 20:10   #20
extralife

well a minute after i wrote above i saw this was the post i discovered some of those rumours and on top of that I saw vention saying he actually was in possesion of the source ?!?!? on his a600, hmmm, maybe try mailing at the new kefrens homepage or polka bro's (cant remember if he moved to da mighty polka back then ) We could even shout for him on ADA aswell, since him stopping by here, might indicate he is having a peek once in awhile into the old amigascene