English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 May 2021, 17:03   #121
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
Beta-testers. Did you try 2-player?

I played 2 player on a basic 1200 + 8Mb fast ram with no issues (Except one that was reported at the time, but wasn't related to the controls).
Old 08 May 2021, 17:21   #122
roondar

I beta-tested only single player mode. Got way more joysticks/controllers/etc than I have people around who want to play Amiga games
Old 08 May 2021, 18:06   #123
mcgeezer

Quote:
Had a friend over and we played a bit to got into some problems.
In 2-player the 2nd control holding action button the car would often not turn?
Some times putting the car in a direction it slightly change when it should not?

interesting, the game was also tested with 4 player Amiga live and no issues were reported.

could you pm me with more detail please?

During the pandemic it was pretty hard to test the game multiplayer.

Geezer
Old 08 May 2021, 19:26   #124
str0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
@str0m well in the meantime I realized that the game isn't free. I just bought it and there's a CD32 iso image in the package already => just buy it
Jotd it was the 5 minute demo version I was referring to, I know the full game isn't free, was looking to compare it to the version I own on the PS2 on an arcade classics compilation, no worries though, I will get winuae up and running to try it out
Old 08 May 2021, 19:54   #125
Irek´72
´040 User

Yesterday I tried the demo version on my 040 CPU and I saw flickering in the loading process, intro picture and also in the game itself.
I hope that the WHDLoad version eliminates this problem, otherwise I get an epileptic seizure.
So, the box version was just ordered by me.
Old 08 May 2021, 21:43   #126
jotd
This cat is no more

Err I don't think whdload can fix interlace. it can fix a lot of things, but not that

@str0m ah no worries.
Old 08 May 2021, 23:47   #127
tolkien
AmigaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irek´72 View Post
Yesterday I tried the demo version on my 040 CPU and I saw flickering in the loading process, intro picture and also in the game itself.

I hope that the WHDLoad version eliminates this problem, otherwise I get an epileptic seizure.

So, the box version was just ordered by me.
That flickering is caused by the hires laced resolution used in the game.
Old 09 May 2021, 00:04   #128
Superman

Playing the Whdload version on my real A1200 I don't have any flicker at all. It looks brilliant in fact.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 May 2021, 00:37   #129
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Playing the Whdload version on my real A1200 I don't have any flicker at all. It looks brilliant in fact.

[ Show youtube player ]
Yes, it looks awesome on a deinterlaced tv on real hardware. Quite not like any other amiga game i’ve seen due to the hires.
Old 09 May 2021, 06:53   #130
TjLaZer

The Amiga has flickering screens???! New to Amiga? lol
Old 09 May 2021, 09:26   #131
jotd
This cat is no more

in the video we can see that the tornado is leaving a few pixels behind. Apart from that, the video certainly looks very nice and interlacing is not noticeable

I tested on my machine but unfortunately my NEC monitor didn't like the resolution and performs an auto adjust every second => screen is flashing and black most of the time (sometimes happens on the interlace team 17 intro screen)

Got to test on another monitor. But that's a big bummer.
Old 09 May 2021, 11:30   #132
nikosidis

Quote:
Had a friend over and we played a bit to got into some problems.
In 2-player the 2nd control holding action button the car would often not turn?
Some times putting the car in a direction it slightly change when it should not?

Ok, talked with Graeme and Tony.

Wico controller is the problem here. I have no problem with the Wico controller in other games. If others have that controller please test. No problem with my homemade joystick, Tac-2 or Zip stick.

The slight change in position turning car, then put the joystick in center position is part of the mechanism. Explenation is that the track is not straight. Regarding the controls the game feels very nice with analogue, playstation pad. I have this playstation to Amiga adapter. Highly recommended for this game.

[ Show youtube player ]

Sorry to beta-testers but it was kind of let down yesterday. Was looking forward to play this game with a friend and it did not last for long. Next time, no Wico controller

Last edited by nikosidis; 09 May 2021 at 13:08.
Old 09 May 2021, 13:29   #133
modrobert
old bearded fool

I played the demo 'TurboSprint_Beta2_B_TL.adf' from floppy on my A1200 (stock) with 4mb fastram, also had joystick control problems, turning right usually works while holding fire button (throttle), but turning left while holding fire button is sporadic. Turning while standing still seems to work properly.

Also tested the joystick "Action Pad AM Logic 3" with JoyPortTest (on aminet) and it works OK, also works fine in other games tested.

The interlace mode looks good on my CRT (RGB->Component), almost no flickering.

Overall the game look really professional, and is probably fun to play if the joystick controls work.
Old 09 May 2021, 13:36   #134
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
I played the demo 'TurboSprint_Beta2_B_TL.adf' from floppy on my A1200 (stock) with 4mb fastram, also had joystick control problems, turning right usually works while holding fire button (throttle), but turning left while holding fire button is sporadic. Turning while standing still seems to work properly.

Also tested the joystick "Action Pad AM Logic 3" with JoyPortTest (on aminet) and it works OK, also works fine in other games tested.

The interlace mode looks good on my CRT (RGB->Component), almost no flickering.

Overall the game look really professional, and is probably fun to play if the joystick controls work.

Hi,

You can't just make statements about the game saying it's fun if "the controls work properly.".

The controls do work properly and unless you tell me what your config is and what joysticks you're using then I really can't help you out. Good that you tried the time limit demo first, this is exactly why I did it... to protect me and you.

But please don't say the controls in the game don't work when they clearly do as they were tested extensively.
Old 09 May 2021, 14:06   #135
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Hi,

You can't just make statements about the game saying it's fun if "the controls work properly.".

The controls do work properly and unless you tell me what your config is and what joysticks you're using then I really can't help you out. Good that you tried the time limit demo first, this is exactly why I did it... to protect me and you.

But please don't say the controls in the game don't work when they clearly do as they were tested extensively.
I tested some more, first time didn't change any control settings, only played with digital joystick in port 2 (blue car) per default. Also tested joystick in port 1 (red car), same problem as mentioned previously.

When selecting keyboard it works fine.

What I suspect happens in software is that "forward" (up) or "back" (down) direction bits in JOYxDAT somehow cancels the left (and sometimes right) movement (left/right button held with fire button) during a turn.
Old 09 May 2021, 14:09   #136
mcgeezer

Quote:
I tested some more, first time didn't change any control settings, only played with digital joystick in port 2 (blue car) per default. Also tested joystick in port 1 (red car), same problem as mentioned previously.

When selecting keyboard it works fine.

What I suspect happens in software is that "forward" (up) or "back" (down) direction bits in JOYxDAT somehow cancels the left (and sometimes right) movement (left button held with fire button) during a turn.
OK, I can work with this... could we start a pm conversation and then I can send you some builds to try?

Graeme
Old 09 May 2021, 14:11   #137
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
OK, I can work with this... could we start a pm conversation and then I can send you some builds to try?

Graeme
Sure, fine with me.
Old 09 May 2021, 14:26   #138
mcgeezer

Quote:
Sure, fine with me.
Thanks - check your pm's please.
Old 09 May 2021, 15:43   #139
Irek´72
´040 User

Well, today I tried the game on three other A1200s and a Commodore 1084S monitor and it seems that the problem with the flickering seems a bit more bearable. I noticed that the game works better on smaller configurations than on an A1200 with 040CPU (Blizzard and Apollo)

BTW: Yesterday I tried the game on my A1200T with Novita Monitor and ScanDoubler from MV 1200, what I didn't even notice were the interruptions with black screen every 2 or 3 seconds.
Old 09 May 2021, 16:14   #140
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irek´72 View Post
Well, today I tried the game on three other A1200s and a Commodore 1084S monitor and it seems that the problem with the flickering seems a bit more bearable. I noticed that the game works better on smaller configurations than on an A1200 with 040CPU (Blizzard and Apollo)

BTW: Yesterday I tried the game on my A1200T with Novita Monitor and ScanDoubler from MV 1200, what I didn't even notice were the interruptions with black screen every 2 or 3 seconds.
I also have scandoubler in my A1200, ScanPlusAGA. Works perfect for me.