English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 November 2020, 22:19   #1
guybrush

A1200 options for cd rom?

Cheers,

I would like to burn some old Amiga CD and CD32 games, to play them on my A1200. I am mostly looking at magazines cds, to get the feeling of browsing those huge (for the time) libraries on CD.

I already have a CF card to IDE adapter, so my main IDE port is already taken; and if I recall correctly, that port support only one device if you use the CF card adapter (while with a real HD you can set it to master and the CD to slave).

What are the modern options for this? I was considering the following:

- IDE cable with 2 connectors, using an old school IDE drive when I want to surf a CD
- PCMCIA cd drive, to connect when I want to use the CD
- Virtually mount CD from a CF card

Of all the options I would like probably the virtual mount; but the largest CF I use is 4 GB and can't fit more than few CD on it.

The PCMCIA solution seems great; although I found no PCMCIA cd rom that support AmigaOS/Workbench3.1, and I believe there are not that many available these days.

I am open to suggestions; I have a 52x cd IDE already, it is a fat one so it will require external power even just for testing it; but I have nothing else.
Old 10 November 2020, 23:17   #2
amiman99

PCMCIA SCSI interface with SCSI CDROM should work.

I have IDEFIX adapter in my A1200 with internal slim CDROM. It does require case cutting.

There is also a IDE split cable with CDROM case that I sold few years ago by DATAFLYER? I forgot exact name.
YEP: https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/b...ct.aspx?id=547
Old 10 November 2020, 23:51   #3
crazyc

You could put a simple buffered 4 way ide adapter and run the ide cable for the cd rom out the back of the case (requires a little cutting probably) ?
Old 11 November 2020, 03:57   #4
guybrush

Thanks, so the best way is to go with the IDE cable/SCSI.

I wish there was a drive like the Gotek but for CD ATAPI, which does not exist sadly. That would be ideal to have, to pair it with a CF card as hard drive, to go fully solid state

I don't mind to leave the CD out; there is the opening on the 1200 case close to the joystick port, so I can route the cable out from there, and keep the case closed
Old 11 November 2020, 05:34   #5
amiman99

Just get this: https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...roducts_id=465
and external IDE drive.
Old 11 November 2020, 07:22   #6
Aardvark

Slim drives are lacking an audio jack, so a working CD-DA (e.g. in CD32 games) is not an option with them.
Edit: I stand corrected. Adapters include audio header. http://www.cablesonline.com/slnocd50pinj.html

Idefix '97 comes with a nice CD32 emulator, which is required to get most CD32 games running ok on A1200/4000.

Last edited by Aardvark; 11 November 2020 at 11:37.
Old 11 November 2020, 08:03   #7
Jope
-

If you already have them as .iso, I recommend to just mount them into a virtual drive.

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/diskimage this one works nicely, but it needs a bit of understanding when you install it. The dosdrivers included are not supposed to be copied as is to your system, but instead you should look inside them to see which ones you need, then adjust the names + unit numbers according to your needs.
Old 11 November 2020, 08:25   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have Squirell SCSI interface and external CD-ROM. It connects to the pcmcia port. My idea was to play Alien Breed 3D in high speed (using accelerator in my A1200) and with audio tracks (using CD-ROM and CD32 version of the game). So the best from both world. That CD-ROM looks interesting and elegant sitting on my table, except of its bulky cable and ENORMOUS SCSI 50-pin connector, which is super ugly.

Problem is it is not native, like pure CD32 and it is kinda emulated. So with some games it works, some are problematic.

Today if I would like to experience fast CD32 game with audio tracks, I would probably go to a real CD32 with Terrible fire.
Old 11 November 2020, 08:43   #9
utri007
mä vaan

Most CF to IDE adapters has a Master / Slave jumper, so they work with CD-drive. I haven't had any problem adapter like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

It is possible to build slim CD-drive inside of Amiga 1200.

Here is my CD32 / CD-boot solution for a A1200 (it is towerized)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 November 2020, 08:46   #10
crazyc

Just put your a1200 in a checkmate case and the the cd will fit perfectly and be powered!
Old 11 November 2020, 10:09   #11
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
I wish there was a drive like the Gotek but for CD ATAPI, which does not exist sadly. That would be ideal to have, to pair it with a CF card as hard drive, to go fully solid state
Well, they do exist for some consoles like the Dreamcast I believe. whether they could possibly be adapted to more general use, I've no idea, but it really shouldn't be that big a leap.

That said, I'm not sure on the availability of CD audio from such setups (which is the same issue with mounting ISOs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Most CF to IDE adapters has a Master / Slave jumper, so they work with CD-drive.
It's the CF card itself that is the deciding factor, not the adaptor. The CF card needs to cooperate with the master/slave settings in order to work with another device, and not all cards have this functionality implemented.
Old 11 November 2020, 10:26   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Slim drives are lacking an audio jack, so a working CD-DA (e.g. in CD32 games) is not an option with them.

Idefix '97 comes with a nice CD32 emulator, which is required to get most CD32 games running ok on A1200/4000.

Incorrect. CDDA is an option, as you need an adapter to be able to connect it to IDE. These adapters come with CDDA header, you just need a mixer to add it to phono output.
Old 11 November 2020, 10:59   #13
str0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Well, they do exist for some consoles like the Dreamcast I believe. whether they could possibly be adapted to more general use, I've no idea, but it really shouldn't be that big a leap.

That said, I'm not sure on the availability of CD audio from such setups (which is the same issue with mounting ISOs).

Yes been around for a long time, ODE, Optical drive emulators. Audio works fine as the device is simply emulating the CD drive and passes the data to the system as a real one would. Can get the cheap chinese cloned ones for the Dreamcast for sub £50, chuck in a SD card and load it up, I have a couple rigged up, 200GB cards, makes life a lot easier especially as with their age the original drives tend to die, lasers go etc.

A couple have appeared for the Saturn this year. There are others out there but more niche/expensive ie 3DO
Old 11 November 2020, 12:43   #14
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
Yes been around for a long time, ODE, Optical drive emulators. Audio works fine as the device is simply emulating the CD drive and passes the data to the system as a real one would.
Which is fine for later systems where the audio is just treated as data. But in many systems, such as the Amiga, audio data is not passed to the system but processed into analogue audio separately, typically by the drive itself. There's no technical reason why the emulator wouldn't be able to do that too, it's just extra work that would make the device more expensive unnecessarily for cases like the Dreamcast. But that's the only feature that would give any advantage for Amiga use over simply mounting the ISOs. You would need to ensure you use full disc images too, not just the data track as found in most ISOs.

Quote:
A couple have appeared for the Saturn this year. There are others out there but more niche/expensive ie 3DO
That's interesting, since the Saturn does actually use analogue CD audio. I'll have to check them out...
Old 11 November 2020, 13:42   #15
str0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Which is fine for later systems where the audio is just treated as data. But in many systems, such as the Amiga, audio data is not passed to the system but processed into analogue audio separately, typically by the drive itself. There's no technical reason why the emulator wouldn't be able to do that too, it's just extra work that would make the device more expensive unnecessarily for cases like the Dreamcast. But that's the only feature that would give any advantage for Amiga use over simply mounting the ISOs. You would need to ensure you use full disc images too, not just the data track as found in most ISOs.

That's interesting, since the Saturn does actually use analogue CD audio. I'll have to check them out...

Fenir - 20 pin only, I'm holding off for 21 pin version https://8bitmods.com/fenrir/

Mode - Works with DC and Saturn and supports multiple storage methods not just SD but costs more https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/...aturn_ODE.html

Satiator finally starting to appear but expensive and no real benefit over Fenir https://www.retrorgb.com/satiator-pr...-revealed.html
Old 11 November 2020, 17:38   #16
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
Just get this: https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...roducts_id=465
and external IDE drive.
I have something like this and cable running out to cd-rom. I wrapped the cable so it fits out the modulator hole (modulator has been removed) and I was luck enough to pick up an external cd case a few years ago. For sound I've gone the simple route and have a 2 rca cable to 3.5" jack lead which I just plug into a speaker in front of the TV so no clever mixing of sound for me although it does allow cd sound to be at a different level to Amiga sound.

CD32 emulation working although could never get it to work from HD so have a boot floppy.

Still after running the elusive Defender of the Crown 2 though - I'd don't think anyone has got it working on a 1200 with CD rom (need the Cd rom and not WHdload as you miss out on the CD sound).
Old 11 November 2020, 23:14   #17
guybrush

Thanks for your replies!

So those drives used for Dreamcast or Saturn, would not work with an Amiga?

I like the idea of having a virtual drive to mount; but the problem is that most cards on the amiga are not supported, so you are stuck with 8 GB max from what I can tell, which means not that many iso fit on it

As far as checkmate case; no thanks Got plenty of conversions to PC cases to be honest; even when they were selling the first A1500 case. If the price of the case was half of what they ask, I would think about it, otherwise a PC case would do in the same way.

I like the 4 devices interface; although that would have to live outside my Amiga case And for CD audio, that would affect only official CD32 games; since if I run an amiga game from a CD, I assume the audio is played by the Paula chip, not by the cd like a CD32 audio track. I can live without that, until I figure out if I want to get the interface and move the amiga to a larger case.

Thanks!!!!
Old 12 November 2020, 09:40   #18
str0m

No they are specific to those consoles

Back in the day with my 1200 I had a reallyyyy long (not sure how it worked) IDE cable out of the gap in the back of the case then it went into a old PC Desktop case (not tower) where I had a hard drive and CD drive and I also used the PC power supply from it.
Old 12 November 2020, 09:52   #19
Havie

Quote:
Thanks for your replies!

So those drives used for Dreamcast or Saturn, would not work with an Amiga?

I like the idea of having a virtual drive to mount; but the problem is that most cards on the amiga are not supported, so you are stuck with 8 GB max from what I can tell, which means not that many iso fit on it

As far as checkmate case; no thanks Got plenty of conversions to PC cases to be honest; even when they were selling the first A1500 case. If the price of the case was half of what they ask, I would think about it, otherwise a PC case would do in the same way.

I like the 4 devices interface; although that would have to live outside my Amiga case And for CD audio, that would affect only official CD32 games; since if I run an amiga game from a CD, I assume the audio is played by the Paula chip, not by the cd like a CD32 audio track. I can live without that, until I figure out if I want to get the interface and move the amiga to a larger case.

Thanks!!!!
Yep - games still use Paula and CD audio is mainly for music although this does mean that in some games you get full Amiga sound effects and music.

Not sure about some talky adventures?
Old 12 November 2020, 16:42   #20
Daedalus

Quote:
Card compatibility is hit and miss really, but not so much to do with the size as such. If a card is compatible, using Kickstart 3.1.4, or Kickstart 3.1 with OS 3.9, or Kickstart 3.0 or 3.1 with suitable replacement drivers and filesystems, will all allow you to use any reasonable size of card or drive. I've had 80 and 120GB hard drives in my main A1200 since that sort of size was a big deal