English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 19 August 2006, 23:32   #1
keropi

AGA/RTG switch on amigakit.com

I just wanted to bring this to your attention... I ordered one too, it is very small (5x6x1.5cm) and the vga cables are 38.5cm long. it solves the prob of switching between displays... because of lack of space, I will use this instead of the Multimedia&Design switch I currently have that is shaped like a card and takes one slot...
look HERE

edit: if the link does not work, see the "NEW PRODUCTS" section...

Last edited by keropi; 20 August 2006 at 11:10.
Old 20 August 2006, 17:27   #2
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Can you post pictures of the actual unit? I have an external box that I'm (slowly) re-working to an internal. I plan to use the keylock switch as a stealth switch for it.
Old 20 August 2006, 17:59   #3
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
I just wanted to bring this to your attention... I ordered one too, it is very small (5x6x1.5cm) and the vga cables are 38.5cm long. it solves the prob of switching between displays... because of lack of space, I will use this instead of the Multimedia&Design switch I currently have that is shaped like a card and takes one slot...
look HERE

edit: if the link does not work, see the "NEW PRODUCTS" section...
Interesting, would definately buy one if I didn't have the little electronic ATEN monitorswitch I have at the moment
Old 20 August 2006, 18:14   #4
keropi

Big grin

this is what amigakit.com sent me when I requested a more detailed pic...
it looks great, an EYTECH UMON!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor_switch.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	11879  
Old 20 August 2006, 18:16   #5
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Quote:
this is what amigakit.com sent me when I requested a more detailed pic...
it looks great, an EYTECH UMON!
Great work AmigaKit
I thought these adaptors had vanished, BMon, CMon etc
Old 20 August 2006, 18:20   #6
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ
Interesting, would definately buy one if I didn't have the little electronic ATEN monitorswitch I have at the moment
care to share a pic?
that aga/rtg is a prob, it is interesting to see how others deal with it!
Old 20 August 2006, 18:25   #7
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Quote:
care to share a pic?
that aga/rtg is a prob, it is interesting to see how others deal with it!
Will do and my nest of cables behind the tower
Old 20 August 2006, 23:24   #8
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Unsheilded flat ribon VGA cables? Wonder how bad the video is with those.
Old 21 August 2006, 09:49   #9
keropi

lol, it does not affect quality , at least it is not noticeable and it beats manual cable switching .... I know, because the M&D switch I have now, has the same cables...
also the internal dce scandoubler has the same kind, as well as the bvision/cvision ppc ... although the b-cvision are "insulated" it does not make a difference...
Old 23 August 2006, 00:42   #10
Secret Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
Unsheilded flat ribon VGA cables? Wonder how bad the video is with those.
For short runs you can get away with it, or at least that's the experience I have had, but I've not tried to send any particularly demanding signals down the 6" length inside my machine.
For longer cables, and in the case of cheap switchboxes with unshielded internal wiring it's immediately noticeable.
It's not just an issue of inteference but also one of improper impedance matching causing signal distortion, but over short cable lengths and at lower frequencies the problems are less apparent.

For my switching needs, I have an old intelligent keyboard/video switch, that I never got to work right with any PCs I tried it on, it required both keyboard inputs to be connected in order to switch properly, and I suspect that the power requirements of the IBM keyboard I was using were too high, resulting in incorrect operation of the switch.
Anyway, that used poor quality fixed cables, so I decided to turn it into a stupid switch and replace the cables at the same time. Inside was a microcontroller, some relays, and a pushbutton to flip between machines, I pulled the MC and switch, and fitted it with a power lead to pull power from a USB port, and a big toggle switch to activate the relay coils. With the replacement cables the quality is great.
However, it's still a pain, as I can't quickly switch between Amiga and Mac using it, only select between native and graphics card output, selecting a different system relies on my monitors built in switching, which works well enough, but requires 6 button presses to select, and will switch back automatically if it doesn't have a signal on the input you selected, which is not helpful if you're testing stuff and have to keep rebooting.
So next stop is a 4 port KVM switch, or if I could afford one a nice LaCie 20" LCD, since they have a button on the front to quickly select input, and can be rotated into portrait orientation.
Old 25 August 2006, 19:33   #11
mrodfr

hello,

I have just found this interesting thread. I personally have svga for voodoo and BNC for PAL on the same CRT monitor but need to play with OSD menu often

this AGA/RTG switch interest me a lot and I'll soon ordered one (thanks for the information keropi). but first some questions:

- there is a little red cable with the hardware (see on the picture) ???

- what is the use of the little red lamp ???

- It's an automatically switch ????

- If automatic switch, what is the default video signal or better how this switch work ??? maybe strange question because I don't imagine well how this switch work if It's an automatic one.
Old 25 August 2006, 19:49   #12
keropi

manual switch, and the red cable goes to the switch...
Old 25 August 2006, 19:58   #13
mrodfr

hello again,

AH, OK . a manual switch.

others questions (sorry):

- How is the look of the switch (a little 2 positions button or a big box) ????? picture needed maybe

- the lenght of the red cable ??? (my amiga is under the table and the best is to put a switch near the keyboard with enough lenght of the red cable with a stable on the table switch).

thanks for your speedy answer, keropi
Old 25 August 2006, 20:07   #14
keropi

a pic of mine, just arrived!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	k-umon.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	11934  
Old 27 August 2006, 08:25   #15
mrodfr

hello,

hum, this new picture give me again new questions

- the 60 cm red cable could be replaced by another on more longueur ????

the button for switching video sources is small and there is a little lamp near the button apparently.

- why there is a big rectangular piece of (plastic ??) for maintaining the button ??? It's for fitting on a 5.25 bay of the tower ???

with this hardware, the best is to have the switch part behind the tower and just the switch button near the user. I would like to have the button near my keyboard on the table that need maybe a more longer red cable and another support for the switch button.

btw, It's a good hardware more little than the M&M one and maybe with less prize than 2 svga cable and a KVM manual box switch. I'll think I'll baught one tomorow.

keropi, I know I ask too much, sorry, but picture with the hardware installed (external view behind the tower and where you have placed the switch button) could interest me a lot.

hum, I haven't seen the prize of the product is 74 euros. 1/3 the prize of a whole a1200 dbox tower.

Last edited by mrodfr; 27 August 2006 at 08:38.
Old 27 August 2006, 10:05   #16
keropi

hi, sorry I have not installed it yet on my 4000D ...
the 60cm cable can be easily replaced with another, it is just a plain cable, like a reset cable of a tower...
the switch is mounted on a 5,25" faceplate so it can be used on a tower, but you can take it of and mount it wherever you want... see my othrt thread, I mounted a switch on the keyboard...
Old 27 August 2006, 13:29   #17
zipper

Like this which I have had in 2 towers, 5-6 years (the extra holes did have another switch) 3 HD leds and original text (slanted).

...to be honest I took the photo to test lens distortion correction and perspective correction on Photoshop CS2...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kuva1 _small003.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	11942  

Last edited by zipper; 27 August 2006 at 13:36.
Old 10 October 2006, 19:59   #18
mrodfr

hello,

I have baught the umon switcher from eyetech of amikit beginning of september and receive well some days after.

Because lack of time, I haven't tried to use it untill now. this end of day, I have tried to use the hadware but without success.

put the video signal cable svga and aga on the good place is ok (voodoo3 for svga and dce SD/FF for AGA).

booting the amiga and the pal is found (see the reset of the 1260 on the PAL screen).

there is the red cable to the switch on the lower side of the switch connector.

the switch on the plate had a four connectors (yellow, black, black, red) and a two connectors. I have tried to put the switch cable on the two connectors and also on the red,black on the four connector but without success.

resume:

- allways PAL but white.
- impossible to switch to SVGA.
- the red led on the black piece with 2 input and one output video signal never red.
- don't understand how put cable on the switch plate with led.

- why there is a keyboard 2 pins near the switch 2 pins ???
- why there is a four connector and a two connector on the switch with led on the plate ????

amikit don't put a piece of paper with the use of all the pins
Old 10 October 2006, 20:26   #19
keropi

look at the 5.25 faceplate that has the actual switch. as u said there are 4 pins in a row that say yellow, black, black, red . you MUST plug there a floppy-drive power cable! the colors actually tell u not to plug it the wrong way... and on the rest 2pins just blug the black/red cable that goes to the black thingie that handles inputs... it clicks like picassoII cards when it changes inputs
Old 11 October 2006, 07:37   #20
mrodfr

look at the 5.25 faceplate that has the actual switch. as u said there are 4 pins in a row that say yellow, black, black, red . you MUST plug there a floppy-drive power cable! the colors actually tell u not to plug it the wrong way... and on the rest 2pins just blug the black/red cable that goes to the black thingie that handles inputs... it clicks like picassoII cards when it changes inputs.

Hello,

sorry but I don't understand. I haven't another floppy drive power cable with the AGA/RTG UMON.

what is the use of the 2 pins named keyboard of the umon switch ????

I understand:

- red/black cable: on the red/black pins of the umon and on the 2 pins of the switch button (no sence of the switch).

- yellow, black, black, red must have a floppy drive power cable ????

thanks for the help. (a speedy answer from job :-)