English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 September 2021, 23:26   #21
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I just tried with ROM 3.1.4 and 3.2 and a Workbench 1.3 floppy and no hard disk. Boot with no startup-sequence works in both 3.1.4 and 3.2 just fine and I got into the initial CLI. Why do you insist in repeating this? What are you doing with your computer that you cannot boot with no startup-sequence? That literally always works.

I have no stake in 3.1.4 or 3.2, but I am genuinely puzzled when someone repeats something that I know is different to what I can see on my own amiga.
OK, seems that I remember this wrong or there was something else. I should try this again.
Old 22 September 2021, 23:28   #22
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot46 View Post
Hi,

i have some issues when i try to add icon.library and Workbench Livrary -> Duplicate Resident.

Could someone list in order all the modules to put in the Standard Rom and in the Ext Rom please?

Thx a lot.
I think that you need a older workbench.library to kickstart. New ones are not rommable?
Old 23 September 2021, 06:56   #23
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot46 View Post
i have some issues when i try to add icon.library and Workbench Livrary -> Duplicate Resident.
Have you tried adding icon.lib and wb.lib before the system-startup module?

I am yet to attempt building my own 3.2 ROM, but based on the release notes for system-startup, it is probably the thing that adds the residents.

Last edited by Jope; 23 September 2021 at 07:03.
Old 23 September 2021, 19:46   #24
Slingshot46

uti007: I took Workbench.library from installation disc, I think it's Romable.

Jope: About Standard Rom, I inserted icon.library between graphic.lib and input.lib and i moved timer.device, trackdisk.device, utility.library, wbtask, system-startup and workbench.library in the Rom ext.

Rom Standard seems ok but you're right the probleme is workbench.library and system-startup. I tried to insert workbench.library before system-startup but it's the same problem.
Old 04 October 2021, 20:13   #25
mpattonm

Same here. I am lost.
Old 04 October 2021, 21:11   #26
PeterK

I would not recommend to put the icon.library and workbench.library into the Kickstart Rom, because there are still bugs that need to be fixed and then you would have to update your rom again. The access to a Rom could also be slower than to FastMem if it's not mapped.

But in case that you still want to put these libs into the Rom, then you need to get rid of these two OS 3.2 library loaders, which already pretend to be iconlib and wblib, although they are not real libraries.

Edited: I would try to change the strings in the system-startup module from "icon.library" into "icon.libload" and "workbench.library" into "workbench.libload" and try to load the real libs before system-startup, but I didn't do that yet. It may work, but probably it will fail, too. No, then it may try to load "icon.libload" and "workbench.libload" instead. It would need more changes directly in the code to avoid that in order to disable these loaders.

Maybe just change the $4AFC of these two loader modules into $4E75 or something ...

Last edited by PeterK; 05 October 2021 at 12:47.
Old 05 October 2021, 08:04   #27
Jope
-

The System-Startup module really has to be there, so my thought is on the same tracks as Peter's, it's a better idea to obfuscate the library names inside the module than completely leave it out.

Of course it would be nice to hear a solution from one of the people who wrote the System-Startup.. :-)
Old 05 October 2021, 12:48   #28
PeterK

You must be an optimist!
Old 05 October 2021, 14:16   #29
SpeedGeek

AFAIK, if the disk based version of icon.library is higher then it should replace the ROM based version.
Old 05 October 2021, 21:30   #30
ScottC2010

I put in workbench.library and icon.library as mentioned by another person earlier (You put these in the extended rom and remove the ones from the hard disk) but also replaced card.resource with the one from 3.1.4 (You can also use the one from 3.0) as card.resource in 3.2 seems to revert to the old 4MB bug that plagued 3.1,
You could also put your filesystem in there like FFS or other.
Old 08 October 2021, 20:06   #31
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC2010 View Post
The old 4MB bug that plagued 3.1
Do you mind elaborating on this bug? What is it? When was it fixed?
Old 16 November 2021, 16:29   #32
tech3475

Sorry for the lack of responses, I had some other plans/issues happen which delayed doing this e.g. faulty Gotek, dodgy CD drive, etc.

I'm probably going to end up putting something like icon.library and workbench.library in ROM for some convenience.

I may still try CD booting as well, perhaps using the romdisk to hold the other software due to it's compression but I'm going to have this as a low priority since CDDA is proving to be a pain so I'll redo it in the future.

One thing I need to confirm though, I know that maprom doesn't work on the ACA1233n with the 030 enabled and 1mb KS. Does this also affect when running from ROM or is it purely a maprom issue?
Old 01 December 2021, 00:47   #33
thebajaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
Do you mind elaborating on this bug? What is it? When was it fixed?

I'll speculate that it is the potential conflict with certain PCMCIA cards and also desiring an 8MB AutoConfig RAM expansion that wants to reside in the Z2 8MB space (via trapdoor). It's not a bug, really. C= had to play the resource tradeoff game when they decided to allow memory expansion via PCMCIA card - which was seen as cheap 16-bit memory expansion back then.

And if people took the time to RTFM - as in the docs that came with OS 3.2 - you would find in cardres-RelNotes:

------------------------- AmigaOS 3.2 project ------------------------

cardres 47.4 (8.8.2020)

- Reverted card.resource to revision 40.4 due to compatibility and
stability issues

- No functional changes, but still baffling...

-------------------

Which means they are still trying to sort the resource issues that PCMCIA causes the Amiga OS.

The issue: PCMCIA could hold RAM or I/O cards. It could be present at boot, or added after boot. It's a 'problem' that has to have resources allocated to address anything inserted - even if a card is never inserted. And still leave space for trapdoor expansions.

Closest comparison is an A2000 with an RTG or BridgeCard and standard AutoConfig FastRAM- it takes away some of the Z8 8MB expansion space. Only on an A1200, the cards could appear after boot time.
Old 01 December 2021, 02:09   #34
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebajaguy View Post
I'll speculate that it is the potential conflict with certain PCMCIA cards and also desiring an 8MB AutoConfig RAM expansion that wants to reside in the Z2 8MB space (via trapdoor). It's not a bug, really. C= had to play the resource tradeoff game when they decided to allow memory expansion via PCMCIA card - which was seen as cheap 16-bit memory expansion back then.

And if people took the time to RTFM - as in the docs that came with OS 3.2 - you would find in cardres-RelNotes:

------------------------- AmigaOS 3.2 project ------------------------

cardres 47.4 (8.8.2020)

- Reverted card.resource to revision 40.4 due to compatibility and
stability issues

- No functional changes, but still baffling...

-------------------

Which means they are still trying to sort the resource issues that PCMCIA causes the Amiga OS.

The issue: PCMCIA could hold RAM or I/O cards. It could be present at boot, or added after boot. It's a 'problem' that has to have resources allocated to address anything inserted - even if a card is never inserted. And still leave space for trapdoor expansions.

Closest comparison is an A2000 with an RTG or BridgeCard and standard AutoConfig FastRAM- it takes away some of the Z8 8MB expansion space. Only on an A1200, the cards could appear after boot time.
So they effed up PCMCIA changes. Thank you for the heads up.

What surprised me is that I need to run CardReset before I start my ethernet card now. My 3.9 was patched for that, and I would have expected the fancy new AmigaOS to also know about A1200's quirks.
Old 03 December 2021, 23:12   #35
tech3475

Update:

I'm so glad I waited to get an EPROM eraser before trying this, because unfortunately it didn't work.

Going by the symptoms, it seems to be the ACA1233n/68030 is incompatible with 1meg ROMS, not just with maprom as I knew, but with real ROMs as well. I could get to the early startup menu so I know they were fine, but beyond that just a black screen.

Burning the stock rom provided on the disc and it seems to work just fine.

So I'll probably just create an ADF/Floppy with the missing libraries for now at least and just use the stock ROMs.

Thanks for the advice though, maybe if I get a different compatible accelerator in the future I'm come back to this.