English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 14 August 2022, 16:19   #1
DisasterIncarna

Snapper - Modified For Partial Window Names

I use a program by "ToneMaster 2000" called Snapper, the original is found at:
https://aminet.net/package/util/misc/Snapper

His docs/readme states it snapshots window positions so the next time they reopen they appear at the snapshotted position but only works with fixed window names/titles.

This has been a staple of my setup to keep windows where i want them, but this does not work with the likes of say RIVA, as RIVA has a different window title due to adding the filename played to its window title, so i have taken the code ToneMaster 2000 kindly left for others to play with and made it function on partial matches.

When you snapshot a windows position it is still recorded with its full name, so you simply have to popup the prefs window and edit your entry and remove any extraneous text you dont want so it can partial match.

For example if the snapshotted window title is:

"RIVA - Versus Official - Revengeance.mpeg"

you can remove everything after:

"RIVA - "

Save the changes and now Riva will open in the position you want, this can mess things up ofc if you use a partial name that ends up matching several other windows you didnt want to interfere with, so use carefully and set your window matches carefully.

The original says it was made for OS3.5, i compiled this on OS3.2 using OS3.1 includes, so who knows what version of workbench it will work with.

Hopefully some people here can as usual test more setups than i can.

NOTE: I have noticed it still doesnt work with every program even with a valid match, RIVA works for example, but FFPLAY still somehow overrides what snapper does and ends up opening at its default position of center screen.... no idea why, unless FFPLAY is altering its position after its window was initially opened.

The usual gang of guinnea pigs and lab rats are more than welcome to make sure this works for them and if it does, many thanks and please report which workbench version(s) you tried it with, i've learned fast not to trust my own playground and assume it just works for anyone.

Cheers.

Code:
LSHIFT LCTRL + S = Preferences Window
LSHIFT LCTRL [ = Snapshot Window
LSHIFT LCTRL ] = UnSnapShot Window
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapper101.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	76325  
Attached Files
File Type: lha Snapper.lha (41.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 15 August 2022 at 14:17.
Old 25 October 2022, 02:50   #2
IvanEBC

Hi There.
A bit late to the party but appearently th first. This too is a staple for me but found moving from OS3.9 to 3.2 that it doesn't work. I'm happy to play lab rat and will report back on how it works. The partial name thing didn't bother me but nice to have, i was more worried that i would never see it working in the wild again!

Thanks for your work, will report back later.
Old 25 October 2022, 03:49   #3
IvanEBC

I couldn't get it to work (well it works, it just doesn't snap anything) on 3.2.1 on my 4000.

I previously snapped HiP that used to work and now it doesn't so i did test with something previously known to work.

You think this can be fixed?

EDIT: After looking at your screenshot, you are running 3.2. I tried agaian but i tried snapping something simple .. clock.. and it DID work.
HiP used to be snappable but it has had many recent updates and mayne some change or code cleanup from the author has altered something there.

Last edited by IvanEBC; 25 October 2022 at 04:37. Reason: My Bad
Old 25 October 2022, 18:30   #4
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
I couldn't get it to work (well it works, it just doesn't snap anything) on 3.2.1 on my 4000.

I previously snapped HiP that used to work and now it doesn't so i did test with something previously known to work.

You think this can be fixed?

EDIT: After looking at your screenshot, you are running 3.2. I tried agaian but i tried snapping something simple .. clock.. and it DID work.
HiP used to be snappable but it has had many recent updates and mayne some change or code cleanup from the author has altered something there.
have you tried using key combo to pop up the prefs windows? see what your saved entry for HiP is and make sure theres only 1 entry that can/could match? also HiP does its own thing to save its window position which might be clashing with Snapper and taking priority over it.

The change to partial name match for snapper was because i used a few programs like Riva which include the filename being played in the window title so Snapper would never work due to the ever changing window titles, but as you may notice this means if you use small/less unique names then you end up matching all sorts of things you didnt intend to.

Yeah im using 3.2.1, and it, as always, "works for me".

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 25 October 2022 at 18:42.