English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 September 2009, 22:03   #1
Photon

Alt-Tab behavior solution

After some usage-testing I think the only reason it's not behaving like other apps (in fullscreen), i.e. "press Alt-Tab to check mail, Alt-tab to go back to last used app -- WinUAE) is that you minimize it (or send it to the quickstart-part of the taskbar) before switching.

I think if you refrain from minimizing when Alt-Tab is pressed, it will be like other apps. Either that or you insert it 1 spot before or after where it should be in the Alt-Tab list, since alt+SHIFT+tab does what alt-tab should.

Sorry for not getting any nitty gritty details for you, my compiler does all that for me and so I've never had to touch that stuff. Hope it can spark a clue anyway There's also the "quickstart icon remaining in the taskbar until you move your mouse over it" (which is common for some other apps too), but I can't provoke it now in 1.6.1 (just had a quick try tho).
Old 10 September 2009, 06:04   #2
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Are you sure it's not just the usual always-on-top problem? ALT-tabbing back never worked properly on always-on-top windows (or between always-on-top and regular windows, I can't remember and don't have the time to check right now whether it works between multiple always-on-top windows). I used to notice a lot when I still used WinTV.
Old 10 September 2009, 21:28   #3
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
With full-window, sometimes WinUAE v1.61 window wouldn't "steal back" the focus. (I just caught on these alt+tab issues, so sorry if my post feels a bit out of place).

Workaround would be to tick/untick "always on top".

Well, now it's working fine, but for how long ?

I installed the virtual mouse driver, and disabled magic mouse, btw.
Old 10 September 2009, 23:04   #4
Photon

Well, for example Quake Live fullscreen works fine with Alt-Tab. Could be WinTV does the same a WinUAE. It was just an attempt at giving Toni at least something to work with not very researched, sorry... but still I hope this will point him in the right direction.

Unless everyone else but me have WinUAE 1.6.1 and their alt-tabbing works like other apps, in which case I have no idea why it doesn't work on both my PCs.

And again, alt+SHIFT+tab works like alt+tab (with WinUAE). So
Old 10 September 2009, 23:11   #5
NewDeli
Banned

Ah, but I am sure I wouldn't have any problem with fullscreen.

I was talking about full-window option I usually use for displaying my glorious AmigaOS desktop. Sometimes it would loose focus.

alt+SHIFT+tab is reverse alt+tabbing, you mean it would not go backwards with WinUAE ?

A quick note : right mouse clicks wouldn't work with Magic Mouse enabled. (but I don't think I need it since the full window covers all my PC desktop space)

Last edited by NewDeli; 11 September 2009 at 06:56.
Old 11 September 2009, 06:29   #6
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

WinTV was really just an example, as far as I'm aware alt-tab/alt-tab-back behaves differently for every window as soon as it's always-on-top. Just quickly tried it with my IM client (by turning on always-on-top, which is normally off) and alt-tabbing back didn't work anymore either.

Last edited by eLowar; 11 September 2009 at 06:49. Reason: Minor clarifications.
Old 17 September 2009, 21:30   #7
Photon

Just had a look at the always-on-top option. It's unchecked, still the same behavior. If it is as you say Elowar, then maybe this setting is ignored by the WinUAE code?
Old 17 September 2009, 21:37   #8
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Just had a look at the always-on-top option. It's unchecked, still the same behavior. If it is as you say Elowar, then maybe this setting is ignored by the WinUAE code?
I don't know, what you described just very much reminded me of this always-on-top issue. Weren't we talking about full window (I think you can alt-tab back to real full screen apps, but I don't have one to check right now -- just reinstalled)? I figured WinUAE is always always-on-top in full window mode. Media Player Classic for example shows the same behavior when in "full screen mode" (regardless of the normal always-on-top setting for its windowed mode), which is really more like full window as well; that is when it's on a secondary monitor, otherwise it'll just switch to windowed mode when you alt-tab away from it.

Edit: In fact, when it (MPC) does switch back from full window to normal window when alt-tabbing on the main monitor, you can alt-tab back to it, so maybe that's a solution (could be an option to turn off full-window when alt-tabbing away and turn it back on when regaining focus).

Last edited by eLowar; 17 September 2009 at 21:41. Reason: Just a thought.
Old 18 September 2009, 02:00   #9
Photon

Nope, fullscreen (see first line of original post).
Old 27 September 2009, 05:09   #10
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I cant even get winuae to retake focus in windowed mode.

Winuae1.6.1 on vista64

I alt tab or press middle mouse and then when I try to go back windows just beeps at me.
Old 27 September 2009, 11:52   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't know what are you talking about, I took random fullscreen game (Duke Nukem Manhattan Project ) and ALT-TAB does exact same as WinUAE. (ALT-TAB = back to desktop, another ALT-TAB game does NOT get focus but some other windowed application)
Old 27 September 2009, 12:14   #12
NewDeli
Banned

Does it work all the same in full-window ?
What system are you using ? (in XP, the alt+tab miniature windows aren't themed, so my guess is it might alt+tab "more easily").

Beta 15 reindroduces the problem for me.
beta 14 wouldn't steal the focus back, but that's a minor issue.

ticking/unticking "always on top" would be an acceptable workaround.

Last edited by NewDeli; 27 September 2009 at 12:19.
Old 27 September 2009, 13:02   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Great", 3 different ALT-TAB "problems" in single thread. If you want any replies, better explain the situation 100% clearly.
Old 27 September 2009, 15:01   #14
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I don't know what are you talking about, I took random fullscreen game (Duke Nukem Manhattan Project ) and ALT-TAB does exact same as WinUAE. (ALT-TAB = back to desktop, another ALT-TAB game does NOT get focus but some other windowed application)
Yeah I thought it was probably normal behavior for full screen, too, but I had nothing at hand to verify at the time. Recently, I actually finally installed a game again and noticed the same behavior in full screen.

I'm also still pretty sure that it is normal behavior for any always-on-top windows, as well. I did a little test and it seems to be as I remember: if you alt-tab from one always-on-top window to another, then tabbing back does work. I suppose they (always-on-top windows) must have their own order.

I don't think this is WinUAE's "fault".

I was looking for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-Tab#Precise_behavior (should've checked Wikipedia directly). But I'm actually too lazy to figure out whether there's any way to change the behavior.

As I previously said, one way to be able to tab back could be to switch to a non-always-on-top state when losing focus (and back when regaining focus), as that seems to work under some conditions. At least the first bit and tabbing back works with MPC, but it doesn't switch back to full screen when regaining focus.
Old 01 October 2009, 23:35   #15
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Hmm... I'll test this asap.

As if I need an excuse to play games but now you made me!!