English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 May 2017, 15:34   #1
Nightfox

Did I just fry my A500?

Today I went to try my Amiga 500 again since it was left unused for a few weeks because I mainly use my Amiga 1200. I plugged the power supply into the wall and I heard a strange yet quiet pulsing noise coming from the PSU. I thought it was nothing so I then plugged the power supply into the amiga and then the Amiga made the exact same pulsing sound except louder and I immediately disconnected it. I then swapped the power supply with another working one but the Amiga 500 stays dead. I know this power supply works because I'm using it right now on my A1200. I threw the pulsing power supply in the bin.
Old 17 May 2017, 15:55   #2
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredbanana View Post
Today I went to try my Amiga 500 again since it was left unused for a few weeks because I mainly use my Amiga 1200. I plugged the power supply into the wall and I heard a strange yet quiet pulsing noise coming from the PSU. I thought it was nothing so I then plugged the power supply into the amiga and then the Amiga made the exact same pulsing sound except louder and I immediately disconnected it. I then swapped the power supply with another working one but the Amiga 500 stays dead. I know this power supply works because I'm using it right now on my A1200. I threw the pulsing power supply in the bin.
Save the pulsing power supply. Those connectors are hard to find! It could also be fixed by replacing the internals.
Old 17 May 2017, 15:56   #3
Robbie

That's worrying. I guess you'll have to open the case and look for burnt components by the power socket. Any electrical burning smells?
Old 17 May 2017, 16:04   #4
Nightfox

I opened it up and didn't see or smell anything burnt but to be fair I have a cold right now so don't have much of a sense of smell. But yeah I think it is truly dead because not even the power light turns on.
Old 17 May 2017, 16:57   #5
Daedalus

Did your A500's power light normally come on dim, then bright, as on the A1200? If so, then for it to not even turn on the LED at all means there's something pretty fundamental wrong so it should be easy enough to find and repair. Of course, there could be other damage besides, but it could also be as simple as a single failed trace.

If your A500 is one of the older ones where the LED would be turned off instead of turned down, then there may be other issues involved...
Old 17 May 2017, 17:02   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
Save the pulsing power supply. Those connectors are hard to find!
You can just gut the cable, that's what I would do. Then throw the rest.

If you heard a noise then it could be some capacitors. Probably your A500 got some damage too now, check the +12V line.

Did you not see any kind of smoke?
Old 17 May 2017, 17:29   #7
Nightfox

Yeah the power LED used to work fine. It is a red colour LED. Now I get no response whatsoever.

I didn't see any smoke, I only heard the strange pulsing inside the amiga and immediately disconnected it
Old 17 May 2017, 18:27   #8
Robbie

as @Daedalus mentions, with the red LED the power could still be on but it won't indicate that until its passed all its checks. Does the caps lock light blink at all? see if any chips are getting hot with it switched on I suppose is something else to try.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:11   #9
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
as @Daedalus mentions, with the red LED the power could still be on but it won't indicate that until its passed all its checks. Does the caps lock light blink at all? see if any chips are getting hot with it switched on I suppose is something else to try.
The caps lock LED stays off and nothing even gets warm
Old 18 May 2017, 09:39   #10
Daedalus

Sounds like a pretty fundamental failure to me in that case, which should be an easy repair for anyone familiar with Amiga repairs, or electronic repairs in general.
Old 19 May 2017, 23:51   #11
Shadowfire

Your power supply fried your motherboard. There is a 100% likelihood that multiple components on the 5V rail are dead (RAM is one of the first things to die, and you aren't even getting a green screen, so you have bigger issues). This will NOT be an easy fix, unless you are talking about replacing the entire motherboard with a new one.
Old 20 May 2017, 00:46   #12
Nightfox

Should I throw my beloved A500 into the bin? I might have to buy another one in the future if I can afford it which I can't right now. Luckily my A1200 is running perfectly and I've only encountered one piece of software which doesn't run on it which runs on A500 which is the game Zitrax. If anyone can patch that game it would be awesome
Old 21 May 2017, 14:15   #13
Daedalus

No, don't throw it yet. There are people who will take dead motherboards off your hands either for parts or for practicing their troubleshooting. If I was in Australia I'd take it off your hands for the cost of postage. Also, there's also a chance that the board is mostly fine and that only minor repairs are necessary. It all depends on the nature of the fault, and I've seen and repaired failures like this that needed little more than a repaired track.
Old 21 May 2017, 18:05   #14
Shadowfire

Not cost effective to repair unless you're doing it yourself, and your time is free. If you get another ECS machine, I would swap the major components in and out of the new machine to save whatever major chips aren't dead. The only IC to be super careful with is Fat Agnus, some machines (like the A3000) use a different revision with a different pinout.
Old 22 May 2017, 03:01   #15
dalek

Find someone in Aus to send it to. If you are in NSW I'm happy to take a look at it for you otherwise postage would probably be too dear. At least you'd know what can be saved. Otherwise pop it on gumtree or ebay and let someone who needs the parts maybe revive another system.
Old 22 May 2017, 04:44   #16
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

How heavy was the A500 with case ?

It should go in to a 5KG Red Parcel post bag, (Biggest prepaid bag they have.)

If its less than the Prepaid 5KG weight, I'll take it
Old 22 May 2017, 18:10   #17
Amiga1992

I wouldn't get into catastrophe territory like Shadowfire suggests before knowing simpler components died and it stopped there, which is very possible and an easy fix.

Why do people tend to diagnose with the worst case scenario in mind all the time? You gotta discard the easy fixes first, before you can blame more complicated stuff!
Old 22 May 2017, 19:59   #18
darefail

I'm not an expert but the first thing that i'd do.. test the outputs of the psu with a multimeter..
of course there is something wrong with the mobo, but you have to start from somewhere..
Old 23 May 2017, 21:15   #19
Nightfox

I live in Perth so even sending to most Australian Amiga users would be expensive as the A500 is big and pretty heavy. I haven't thrown anything out yet. I am still deciding what to do. I don't have much knowledge regarding electronic fault diagnostics. I can solder stuff together but not much more than that.

I'm really not having much luck lately. Just today I damaged the ribbon cable for my A1200 keyboard and am awaiting the arrival of silver conductive paint to repair it. I am typing this on my A1200 by connecting a USB keyboard to it. A USB keyboard connected to an A1200? Sounds like the most redundant thing in the world.
Old 24 May 2017, 02:55   #20
dalek

You can try asking on OCAU if there is anyone in Perth that can help. Anyone happy to take a look would only need the mobo packed well in a cardboard box assuming it's not worth fixing the PSU.