English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 07 May 2012, 23:32   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've "lost" my floppy drive

Well, that's after installing OS4.1 Update 4. Everything was going ok with the floppy, but after installing it wasn't booting, so I've had to copy in WinUAE some drawers from a previous backup. After getting it working again I've found I had lost the floppy and the Cd (Dvd) drive.

I wasn't using Idefix software as I didn't need it to use the Cd, but I've used it now and I've "recovered" the Cd,... But I've got no floppy drive. It's like if it were disconnected.

Of course if I try with another Cf Hd the floppy works perfectly.

I was right now searching everywhere for something like this and I wasn't finding anything. . Then I come here to EAB and I find a PM of Phipscube telling me ... "My latest install (OS4.1) has now suddenly stopped working with my floppy disk. The drive simply does noting, not even tick."

Just casuality?

What do I need to "find" my floppy?

Edit: This is what Update 4 has:

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 May 2012 at 02:49.
Old 08 May 2012, 14:38   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Best off asking in Hyperion forums
Old 09 May 2012, 00:19   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks fitzsteve. The thing is that I haven't found anything related there. It's extrange that Phipscube has the same problem.
I don't find a solution, I think I will wait to buy another Cf and to try from the beginning. Not sure if trying with this again.

I thought it was a problem with the NoDriveClick Utility, but when I open it it just says that there's no Floppy drive.

Edit: And thinking now, I don't think I should (well, in fact I've just registered there) use another forum to search for problems in OS4.1 Classic. Perhaps there should be done another section here just for that. Don't you think so, moderators?

Last edited by Retrofan; 09 May 2012 at 01:03.
Old 09 May 2012, 12:53   #4
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Yeah, my floppy drive is the latest problem. It works fine in OS 3.9. I'm personally quite fed up with OS 4.1 Classic. Every time I try it, something screws up. I get so angry with it and leave it alone for a bit, come back and still get angry as something else goes wrong. At one point I thought it had taken out my HDD (along with my lovely 3.9 install). Each of the Updates (3 and 4) seem to have added more bugs than have been squashed. Only the simplest programs run at a decent speed and compared to the equivalent in OS 3.9 its simply not worth using. The biggest killer is the 68K emulation (apart from all the stupid bugs).

With OS 4.1 Classic on A1200. you have a machine that is too slow to run native PPC apps, and the emulation of 68k is too slow to match the real 68k chip actually sat there unused on the Accelerator. If it could at least match OS 3.9 with classic games/apps then it would be worth something. But as it stands its just a glorified desktop that looks nice, but does nothing but cause headaches.

Basically, I don't use it much. The only thing working SLIGHTLY FASTER than in OS 3.9 is the internet, and that's not much to boast about as its still dog slow (I only use Aminet on the Amiga).

I've got a sweet OS 3.9 setup now and have been happily using it for the last few months to actually enjoy my Uber Amiga 1200 PPC. I'm now wondering if I should just dump OS 4.1 Classic and make a few extra partitions for OS 3.9.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for OS 4.1 on NG Amigas, i'm infact considering an NG amiga (as well as a Natami). Its just totally useless in its current form on Classics. It needs to work with the Classic hardware, not just the PPC and RTG graphics.

And i've probably upset a few people with this, and i'm sorry, but its how I feel. I'm not going to pretend its great just because i've spent money on it and love my Amiga's. I've spent more than I would consider for an OS that's useless. The state its in now, it should be let out free so that all the talented folks in the community could get it fixed up and maybe even working with Custom chips and 68k etc.

Classic owners want an equivalent or better than OS 3.9 functionality, otherwise its pointless.
Old 09 May 2012, 15:21   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've taked today another Cf Hd. Installed ok, later Update 3, ok, then Update 4... No floppy and no Dvd drive again.

It isn't something I did wrong the first time. It has to be Update 4.
Old 09 May 2012, 16:51   #6
diablothe2nd

I have OS 4.1 update 2 and on installing from scratch (livecd) there is an option in the installation settings to check or uncheck about it looking for the fd drive. i got it wrong on my first installation and couldn't use df0 (df1 was fine tho) and had to reinstall with the opposite option. so it may not be an update 4 issue

i'm not sure how you go about changing the option post installation though.
Old 09 May 2012, 19:30   #7
cha05e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
i'm not sure how you go about changing the option post installation though.
I don't know the internals of OS4.1 for Classics, but it might be a commented kickstart layout option. Nevertheless I would recommend to register to Hyperion's support forum - there's even a special section for OS4.x-Classic users. As far as could see they are (especially HammerD) very helpful in solving problems with Blizzard/Cyberstorm systems.

Old 09 May 2012, 20:32   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha05e90 View Post
I don't know the internals of OS4.1 for Classics, but it might be a commented kickstart layout option. Nevertheless I would recommend to register to Hyperion's support forum - there's even a special section for OS4.x-Classic users. As far as could see they are (especially HammerD) very helpful in solving problems with Blizzard/Cyberstorm systems.
Yes, I've thought about that too. I'm not sure even if it's Update 4 or the part (separated) to install the RuninUAE. Perhaps is only this last.

Well what I've done is to install the first Cf from the beginning with just Update 3 and all is working nice. As I said to Phipscube it's a nonsense to emulate an Amiga using an Amiga... and making it slow... I don't need at all to make it, so I will stay with Update 3, and surely I will leave the other Cf with Update 4 and RuninUAE and without floppy for another OS more reliable...

Last edited by Retrofan; 09 May 2012 at 21:26.
Old 09 May 2012, 20:41   #9
diablothe2nd

so OS4 classic doesn't even touch the 68k chipsets, but EMULATES ?! omg that is downright dreadful when the hardware is there to use.

although I have it installed I haven't actually gotten around to testing that part with my BPPC. to be honest the boot up times of OS4 have made me dual boot with 3.9 for WHDload usage... i guess i'll be using OS4 just for the NG software then.

bummer

what software is out there that utilises the PPC chip under 3.9? i notice with my BPPC box it came with PowerUP but i'm not exactly sure what it does.
Old 09 May 2012, 21:22   #10
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:

what software is out there that utilises the PPC chip under 3.9? i notice with my BPPC box it came with PowerUP but i'm not exactly sure what it does.
Lots, but rather than using the PowerUP CD install the WarpUP drivers from here:

http://phase5.a1k.org/index.php?driverslibraries

For software check out Aminet & OS4 Depot, to name but a few useful OS3.9 things that I use under OS3.9:

Games:

QuakeWOS (WarpOS Port of Quake)
QuakeII
ADoomWOS
Wipeout 2097
Heretic II
Freespace
Heretic/Hexen WOS
ShogoMad
Decent

Workbench Stuff:

WarpDT (load bmp/gif/jpg/etc using the PPC in OS3.9)
AmigaAmp (Play MP3's etc with the PPC)

There are some emulators (Mame/etc) but I only use them on my AmigaOne as they're slow on Classic PPC.

Will post more when I think about it
Old 09 May 2012, 21:53   #11
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Lots, but rather than using the PowerUP CD install the WarpUP drivers from here<snip>
Thanks! but I'm confused... isn't WarpOS the amiga os that runs on macs and PPC? as in an OS in and of itself?

I ask as you state software for WarpOS, was that meant to be WarpUP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Will post more when I think about it
Thanks but i'm hijacking this thread. I shall start a new one for PPC related Q's

EDIT here's the new thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=817422#post817422
Old 09 May 2012, 21:58   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Not for me, hijack this thread as much as you like

Ok. I think this is ended. Update 4 isn't necessary at all in a real (why classic?) amiga. And OS4.1 is only good for internet if you want to spend more than 100 euros.
Old 09 May 2012, 22:04   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Not for me, hijack this thread as much as you like
That's very generous of you, but Diablo is actually quite right. PPC related posts are off-topic in this thread, and would likely be moved anyway.

Quote:
Ok. I think this is ended. Update 4 isn't necessary at all in a real (why classic?) amiga. And OS4.1 is only good for internet if you want to spend more than 100 euros.
The thread really ought to stay open in case a solution later presents itself (for example, in Update 5).
Old 09 May 2012, 23:01   #14
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yep, of course you're right on both .

Really, now I'm going to start complaining in Hyperion, and surely they will make an Update 5 ... for REAL "Classic" Amigas.
Old 09 May 2012, 23:12   #15
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Really, now I'm going to start complaining in Hyperion, and surely they will make an Update 5 ... for REAL "Classic" Amigas.
Fixed.
Old 10 May 2012, 01:41   #16
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've began complaining... http://forum.hyperion-entertainment....p=13000#p13000
Old 10 May 2012, 21:43   #17
prowler
Global Moderator

...and I see you've had a reply already!
Old 10 May 2012, 22:38   #18
diablothe2nd

yeah, looks like he's pointing out the same problem i discovered.

what we really need is a post install fix.

in the installation guide it suggest reinstalling if it dont work.

I'm sorry but there are so many freakin options on install it could take about 20 attempts to get it right.

this isn't user friendly.

although my bitching here wont do much good... consider it extra powder for your musket retrofan
Old 11 May 2012, 20:32   #19
cha05e90

Quote:
so OS4 classic doesn't even touch the 68k chipsets, but EMULATES ?!
Hrrg? AFAIK every chip from the classic Amiga system can be utilized by AmigaOS4.x *except* the 68k itself. Blitter, Agnus, Paula, whatever is present. Of course: if you install *UAE* and run software with it - *then* it emulates everything, like any UAE on a PC, Mac whatever. It's like my friends A4000/040 with Shapeshifter running an old version of UAE for Mac emulating a A500.... :-)

Old 11 May 2012, 20:35   #20
diablothe2nd

but why emulate when there's a perfectly good 68k chip? and lets be fair, there is no PPC card out there that doesn't have a faster 68k cpu than the mainboard one.