English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 21 November 2023, 19:49   #1
paul773car
RAC377LAUP

Amigacloudhandlers

Anyone got any experience of using this with Dropbox? I got it working but the next day comes and it stops working again.

Im on an a1200 with a pistorm32 running caffeineos.

When working im able to access my dropbox files no problem and its really useful as the a1200 is towered so i cant just use a pcmcia cf adapter without removing the case cover all the time.

It was working perfectly sunday then on monday i kept getting Disk not validated error. Set it up again monday and all working fine then this morning same error. I have checked my dropbox setting and the links arent set to expire or anything.

I havent registered Amigacloudhandlers yet as i dont want to pay for it if i have to reconfigure it everyday, If I can get it to connect reliably then for 10 Euro it will be money very well spent!. Looking at the read me file the limitations of a non registered version with dropbox dont mention anything about limited working time just a note about them being read only volumes which for what i want (transferring files to the Amiga) is perfect. If only it worked for more than a day

Last edited by paul773car; 21 November 2023 at 20:13.
Old 21 November 2023, 20:45   #2
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul773car View Post
It was working perfectly sunday then on monday i kept getting Disk not validated error.
Sound like you turn the Amiga off while there is file synchronisation running in the background. That will damage the file system and you get "Disk not validated" on next boot.

You probably need to stop those handlers before shutting down the Amiga. This is just a guess from what you tell - I don't use any of that stuff myself.
Old 21 November 2023, 20:49   #3
paul773car
RAC377LAUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Sound like you turn the Amiga off while there is file synchronisation running in the background. That will damage the file system and you get "Disk not validated" on next boot.

You probably need to stop those handlers before shutting down the Amiga. This is just a guess from what you tell - I don't use any of that stuff myself.
That would actually make some sense, as another thing thats weird is I cant seem to close the terminal window I use to start it. and it says something like Dropbox process 12 ending but doesnt actually end.
Old 21 November 2023, 20:57   #4
paul773car
RAC377LAUP

However I just switched the machine off twice and rebooted and it still works fine. Something odd is definitiely going on but I also rebooted the machine a number of times yesterday without failure then this morning "disk not validated" error again.
Old 21 November 2023, 21:00   #5
derSammler

Just looked at the readme file and it seems to use mount lists. You could try the "unmount" tool from Aminet to make a script that shuts the handler(s) down properly. They must implement ACTION_DIE for this to work, however.

Quote:
However I just switched the machine off twice and rebooted and it still works fine.
It's pure luck whether or not you turn power off in the moment it does a write access.
Old 21 November 2023, 21:05   #6
paul773car
RAC377LAUP

Thanks though i think thats a bit beyond my skill level. Though i will google it and see if i think my brain can handle it
Old 21 November 2023, 21:21   #7
paul773car
RAC377LAUP

I can unmount the dropbox drive with Assign Dbox: dismount but im assuming given your comment about Action_die that what im doing is probably no better than flipping the power switch

Last edited by paul773car; 21 November 2023 at 21:31.
Old 22 November 2023, 10:15   #8
paul773car
RAC377LAUP

So yesterday i restarted the machine about 20 times and it worked fine, today back to disk validation error. It has to be to be related to the time or day.

Last edited by paul773car; 22 November 2023 at 12:05.
Old 22 November 2023, 10:50   #9
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul773car View Post
I can unmount the dropbox drive with Assign Dbox: dismount but im assuming given your comment about Action_die that what im doing is probably no better than flipping the power switch
Assign dismount/remove does not stop the device. Sadly, AmigaOS is not able to really do that properly.

To be honest, seeing that this stuff is from 2018, described as "still in an early stage of development, far from the mature state. They may contain bugs.", and not got any updates since then, I would just ditch it. It may simply not be in a state that allows it to work correctly.

Do you have a Windows PC? You could share the Dropbox folder from there and access that share over the network from your Amiga.
Old 22 November 2023, 12:04   #10
paul773car
RAC377LAUP

Youre probably right, just frustrating that its so close to working.

Re windows pc, thats what im doing. But theres no way to login to dropbox on the amiga. None of the browsers are modern enough to allow me to login. Thats why i went down this route. Might need to research other options or try a pcmcia extender to enable me to swap in a cf card without opening the case though from what ive read extenders come with their own issues.

Thanks for your help