English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 March 2013, 01:54   #1
AndersHP

No fast mem when booting

My Power Computing 030 16MB accelerator seems to be a bit unreliable..
I'm not using my Amiga that much, but often when I plug it in, it has some initial problems with "finding" the accelerator (workbench says 0 fast mem).

Tonight it found it fine at first, but then "lost" it a couple of times, resulting in freezes, and suddenly I couldn't get the memory back, nomatter what I tried (rebooting, taking out and re-inserting the accelerator card, refitting the RAM onto the accelerator card...).

The accelerator always seem to get quite hot, but thats nomatter if the RAM is detected or not, so I'm not sure if this is an issue in itself..

Anyone know if there's something I can do, other than buying a new accelerator? The problem is very periodic, as most of the times I can get it running (and keeps running!), but now it seems to fail on me more than ever.

Can it be something other than the accelerator?

Is there a way to check if the accelerator is ok, and the RAM alone is the issue?

Other tips?
Old 31 March 2013, 03:35   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

Could be the connector on the accelerator that has 'loosened'. Some people have fixed unstable accelerators by bending in the pins in the connector a little bit to create a higher contact pressure, however, there is a risk of breaking pins if you are not very careful.

I'd start with cleaning the A1200 motherboard connector using a soft pencil eraser and a cotton bud with isopropanol and try again.
Old 31 March 2013, 14:06   #3
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Could be the connector on the accelerator that has 'loosened'. Some people have fixed unstable accelerators by bending in the pins in the connector a little bit to create a higher contact pressure, however, there is a risk of breaking pins if you are not very careful.

I'd start with cleaning the A1200 motherboard connector using a soft pencil eraser and a cotton bud with isopropanol and try again.
The internal pins on the accelerator can be cleaned by using a thin piece of cardboard and isopropyl, just rub it up and down to remove tarnish from inside the connector.
Old 31 March 2013, 14:36   #4
AndersHP

Thanks for the replies, and theres no eay it could be the RAM alone?

What about the heat? Is this normal for an accelerator? Any way of cooling the cabinet better?
Old 31 March 2013, 16:05   #5
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersHP View Post
Thanks for the replies, and theres no eay it could be the RAM alone?

What about the heat? Is this normal for an accelerator? Any way of cooling the cabinet better?
Older parts have more problems than modern ones in most cases, ask me how much I hate BGA, Xbox and PS3.

If the memory can be removed and cleaned then do that too. You say it's getting hot but which chip is getting hot exactly and are we talking "well that's a bit warm" or will it take 15 layers of skin off a finger on a single light touch? Take some high res pictures and post them here, top and bottom with info on the hot part(s)
Old 01 April 2013, 19:12   #6
AndersHP

I've had several weird issues today;

3-4 freezes in Moonstone WHDLoad
2-3 "Guru meditation - software failures" red screens
1 Workbench error screen upon starting a game (retry/cancel)
This time though, with no "0 fast mem" issues...

and when I tried playing a game from floppy, the floppy light turned on (without reading disk), and stayed on, even though I disconnected the PSU and restarted the machine.. Very odd, inconsistent errors.

Then I opened the amiga, took out the accelerator, slightly pressed the chips on the mobo to ensure contact, took off and reinstalled the power wires for the floppy drive, cleaned the connector for the accelerator on the mobo, cleaned the accelerator RAM and closed everything again.

Tested Banshee (both floppy and hd) and Moonstone for half an hour with no errors at all...

Here's some shots of my Amiga and accelerator:

I have to mention, the 30 mins of testing was without the trap door mounted, since it feels like the trapdoor presses the accelerator a bit into the machine. Also, even though the trapdoor wasn't on, especially the big chip (but also the smaller chips) on the "front" of the accelerator gets pretty hot - i can place a finger on it without getting burnt, but I'd say very hot. If the trapdoor is mounted, I can feel the heat on the outside.

But this has never been an issue, I've always played Amiga with the trapdoor on, for hours without problems..

Quite confused here...

Edit: SORRY about the depth-of-field, the chips are out of focus, but everything seems pretty neat-and-new-looking, if you ask me....

Last edited by AndersHP; 01 April 2013 at 19:19.
Old 01 April 2013, 19:15   #7
AndersHP

Oh and also: the "messy" wires from motherboard to floppy is just because I previously powered an "external" cd-rom and 3.5" hd drive also. These power plugs are hidden inside the "foamy" stuff and could actually be removed now, I just never got it done..
Old 01 April 2013, 19:27   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I have to mention, the 30 mins of testing was without the trap door mounted, since it feels like the trapdoor presses the accelerator a bit into the machine. Also, even though the trapdoor wasn't on, especially the big chip (but also the smaller chips) on the "front" of the accelerator gets pretty hot - i can place a finger on it without getting burnt, but I'd say very hot. If the trapdoor is mounted, I can feel the heat on the outside.
When you do not have the trapdoor cover mounted, it changes the pressure on the connector, so this still sounds to me like the connector on the accelerator might be the cause of the problems as it has become too 'lose' over time.
If you can keep your finger on the chips for an extended period of time, they're definately not getting too hot. Most IC's work fine at 85 deg. surface temp which would burn you very quickly.
Old 01 April 2013, 19:32   #9
AndersHP

Quote:
When you do not have the trapdoor cover mounted, it changes the pressure on the connector, so this still sounds to me like the connector on the accelerator might be the cause of the problems as it has become too 'lose' over time.
If you can keep your finger on the chips for an extended period of time, they're definately not getting too hot. Most IC's work fine at 85 deg. surface temp which would burn you very quickly.
OK thats cool then (no pun intended), but I cannot "bend" the connectors inside the black plastic cover, can I?

And what about the floppy drive situation? It's very weird that this happens at the same time, isn't it? I thought something like "I knew the day would come -my beloved A1200 is dying on me now..."
Old 01 April 2013, 21:26   #10
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
OK thats cool then (no pun intended), but I cannot "bend" the connectors inside the black plastic cover, can I?

And what about the floppy drive situation? It's very weird that this happens at the same time, isn't it? I thought something like "I knew the day would come -my beloved A1200 is dying on me now..."
The floppy drive acting up could simply be due to an unstable accelerator. Some people had luck bending back the pins a little inside the black connector. I've never done it myself, so don't know the details of it.
Old 01 April 2013, 21:38   #11
AndersHP

Quote:
The floppy drive acting up could simply be due to an unstable accelerator. Some people had luck bending back the pins a little inside the black connector. I've never done it myself, so don't know the details of it.
Really? Well alright, that must be it then..

I guess switching between trapdoor on and trapdoor off can be the key. Or maybe storing the A1200 with the trapdoor off..

What about the PSU, could it be a contributing factor of my system freezes?
It's an original, old, lightweight A1200 psu, running my 16MB accelerator and an internal CF card... Should I get something like this: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=866
Old 01 April 2013, 22:22   #12
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I guess switching between trapdoor on and trapdoor off can be the key. Or maybe storing the A1200 with the trapdoor off..

What about the PSU, could it be a contributing factor of my system freezes?
It's an original, old, lightweight A1200 psu, running my 16MB accelerator and an internal CF card... Should I get something like this: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=866
Even if you find that it's stable without the trapdoor cover on, it's probably just a matter of time until it becomes unstable again. Running without the trapdoor cover on puts more stress on the connector as the entire card will be hanging from it without proper support. Did you clean the MB side of the connector?

What's the current rating of your PSU (on 5V)?
Old 02 April 2013, 08:53   #13
AndersHP

Quote:
Even if you find that it's stable without the trapdoor cover on, it's probably just a matter of time until it becomes unstable again. Running without the trapdoor cover on puts more stress on the connector as the entire card will be hanging from it without proper support. Did you clean the MB side of the connector?

What's the current rating of your PSU (on 5V)?
I know, but I cannot bend the connectors. Yes I cleaned the connector on the mobo. Maybe that did the trick.

The backside of the psu says 3.0A...
Old 02 April 2014, 14:32   #14
AndersHP

BUMP.

Anyone knows if a new PSU will up my system performance/stability?
Old 02 April 2014, 15:08   #15
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
My Power Computing 030 16MB accelerator seems to be a bit unreliable..
I'm not using my Amiga that much, but often when I plug it in, it has some initial problems with "finding" the accelerator (workbench says 0 fast mem).

Tonight it found it fine at first, but then "lost" it a couple of times, resulting in freezes, and suddenly I couldn't get the memory back, nomatter what I tried (rebooting, taking out and re-inserting the accelerator card, refitting the RAM onto the accelerator card...).

The accelerator always seem to get quite hot, but thats nomatter if the RAM is detected or not, so I'm not sure if this is an issue in itself..

Anyone know if there's something I can do, other than buying a new accelerator? The problem is very periodic, as most of the times I can get it running (and keeps running!), but now it seems to fail on me more than ever.

Can it be something other than the accelerator?

Is there a way to check if the accelerator is ok, and the RAM alone is the issue?

Other tips?
the expansion connector and accelerator connectors on the A1200 sucks
they are done in buggy bronze and suffer sulfatation and lack of enough pressure
I have idem problem after a while my turboboard is not recognized anymore, I have to remove it, clean the connectors with alcohol ( both accel and mobo) and install it again, then it works normally for a while until the issue appears again

Last edited by Sandro; 02 April 2014 at 15:13.
Old 02 April 2014, 15:16   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
BUMP.

Anyone knows if a new PSU will up my system performance/stability?
Where are you located in DK? If you are close to me, you could borrow a custom one which has 2-3x the power of the std. PSU to see if that improves on anything (even if it does, I want it back though ).
Old 02 April 2014, 15:19   #17
alenppc

I had the same problem with an older A1200 accelerator card that was solved by reflowing the solder on the card connector itself. It probably loosens itself over time so there is not enough contact between the card and the connector.

Basically you spread the solder flux over the through-hole card pins then heat each pin while adding a touch of fresh solder. After you're done, clean the flux with alcohol. Now my card is working like new again.
Old 02 April 2014, 15:20   #18
AndersHP

Demolition: in Ølstykke. Sounds like a great deal, you're welcome to PM me with your adress or something?