English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 22 September 2015, 22:52   #1
kipper2k

Amiga 600 / A1200 PS/2 keyboard adapter.

Hi All,

I'd like to show off my new creations, first is the external keyboard adapter for the A600/A1200. the adapter works on both Amiga's and probably a few others that i haven't tested. First off, A very big thanks to Paul Willingham for doing the code for this and other projects which i will reveal in the next couple of days once i have put them together.

For the A600, the chip will sit on the odd CIA and feed the power and data via a 4 pin cable to the PS/2 connector which is part of a combined plate that houses HDMI and the PS/2 connector for the keyboard. All the PS/2 keyboards i have tried work ok (4 different types) i have yet to check USB HID compliant keyboards). In order for this plate to fit, the RF module, composite RCA jack and its capacitor has to be removed which is a relatively easy task. 2 small nuts and bolts secure the plate to the motherboard. (no drilling required.)

The A600 and A1200 internal keyboards do not need to be unplugged and you should be able to use either/or. I will sell these once i get all my new projects sorted, the price will be very friendly and less than others.

For those people that use WHDload you will now be able to use the regular quitkey that is not available on the regular a600 keyboard, and there should be no reason why you cannot plug in just a PS/2 numpad (i have ordered one to test).

The socket for the A600 will sit underneath the 3.5" floppy drive and there is no problem with height clearance. The finished product will not have a socket for the 8 pin chip so it will sit even lower.

A600 Keyboard Adapter

The A1200 board is identical to the a600 board except i have chopped off non essential stuff (LED) to allow it to fit in the odd CIA next to the keyboard connector. The PS/2 connector is the same as the a600 connector (I also just chopped off the HDMI portion). The adapter sits next to the Amiga keyboard connector and does not interfere with the ribbon cable plate lifting and closing.

A1200 Keyboard Adapter

Ok, enough for now, i'll show some other new things later

Last edited by kipper2k; 22 September 2015 at 23:17.
Old 23 September 2015, 00:19   #2
DonAmiga

Nice one
Old 23 September 2015, 04:31   #3
extremeways

Big grin

Awesome work Kipper

I've been chasing a decent A600 keyboard adapter for ages.

The recent Sum A600 USB release, and now your A600 product.

From the description, your adapter isn't handling the USB stack, it's just talking PS2?

Also how well does it handle fast typing? My old Elbox PCKey-600 is nearly unusable when typing fast (missing key strokes, repeated keystrokes etc.)

Old 23 September 2015, 05:49   #4
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeways View Post
Awesome work Kipper

I've been chasing a decent A600 keyboard adapter for ages.

The recent Sum A600 USB release, and now your A600 product.

From the description, your adapter isn't handling the USB stack, it's just talking PS2?

Also how well does it handle fast typing? My old Elbox PCKey-600 is nearly unusable when typing fast (missing key strokes, repeated keystrokes etc.)
Speed is great, no lag, plus it can work on the a600 and a1200 so if you wanted to swap it out at a later date you can (to be able to work on both you would have to get the trimmed down board version
Old 23 September 2015, 14:55   #5
IanP

Are there any issues with layout difference between the Amiga 600/1200 and PS/2 for example the lack of parenthesis on the PS/2 numeric keypad or with international layouts (are the placement of symbols and extra characters consistent between the Amiga 600/1200 layouts and PS/2 international layouts)? If there are inconsistencies is it a case of switching keymap depending on if you are using the Amiga or the PS/2 keyboard?