English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 September 2014, 20:21   #261
JimDrew

While going through all of my Syquest backup carts I came across one with the complete source code for FUSION-PPC, the PowerMac emulation we released. So, when WinUAE's PPC emulation is sorted out I will give this a whirl and maybe even update it.
Old 04 September 2014, 20:31   #262
vitux
Banned

Oh la la!
But why wait for the emulation is better?
There are real PPC cards.
Old 04 September 2014, 20:35   #263
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Offtopic warning, nothing to do with emulation. This thread is still in support.WinUAE!

Discussion about real PPC cards won't be allowed here. (EDIT: Because it always goes to price and availability and other boring things that has nothing to do with anything)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 04 September 2014 at 20:41.
Old 04 September 2014, 20:43   #264
amigafreak68k

For now, the best way is only WinUAE. In FS-UAE it works, yes! But without Picasso IV emulation it makes no sence with only AGA.
Old 04 September 2014, 21:09   #265
vitux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Offtopic warning, nothing to do with emulation. This thread is still in support.WinUAE!

Discussion about real PPC cards won't be allowed here. (EDIT: Because it always goes to price and availability and other boring things that has nothing to do with anything)
Yes, you're right.
Just saying while waiting for better emulation, users have real-PPC, we could enjoy FusionPPC.
Old 04 September 2014, 23:26   #266
amigoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
While going through all of my Syquest backup carts I came across one with the complete source code for FUSION-PPC, the PowerMac emulation we released. So, when WinUAE's PPC emulation is sorted out I will give this a whirl and maybe even update it.
That is great! I have personaly seen the Fusion PPC running on real amiga hw (604/233) and it really worked which was amazing to see on Amiga. But as far as I remember, the cpu performance was somehow slower than expected and other slowdowns were caused by fusion ahi audio driver.
Great idea to see any updates to it!
Old 05 September 2014, 01:13   #267
JimDrew

We didn't have a AHI driver, we used the AHI driver itself, which poked at Paula directly and required a lot of bus bandwidth because of it. The AmigaPPC cards were very slow compared to the offerings available on the Macs. This was because of the various bottlenecks with memory and access to the Amiga's custom chips (CIAs in particular). We shouldn't have these bottlenecks under WinUAE, so I am curious to see how fast it will really be.
Old 05 September 2014, 03:28   #268
amadama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
We didn't have a AHI driver, we used the AHI driver itself, which poked at Paula directly and required a lot of bus bandwidth because of it. The AmigaPPC cards were very slow compared to the offerings available on the Macs. This was because of the various bottlenecks with memory and access to the Amiga's custom chips (CIAs in particular). We shouldn't have these bottlenecks under WinUAE, so I am curious to see how fast it will really be.
Wow, to have a nested PPC Mac on emulated PPC Amiga on PC that might perform well would truly be an amazing thing to see!
Old 05 September 2014, 05:11   #269
themamboman

What was the version of mac OS supported by Fusion-PPC?
Old 05 September 2014, 06:47   #270
billt

How far has anyone got installing OS4.1 Classic? I don't know where my 4.0 Classic (or any other Amiga software) disks are right now but just got 4.1 Classic shipment, so that's all I have to play with, and followed BinoX's guide for 4.0 Classic as well as I could with 4.1.

Note than I am new to WinUAE, and am not familiar with making logs, where to find log files, and such things for proper bug posts. Where to I learn about this?

Installing from CD was a learning experience, and after several attempts I have something running from a clean looking install. (I suspect heat related problems, as my laptop gets VERY hot running WinUAE-PPC, and doing f12 to pause the emulation for a bit now and then seems to help)

As this is my first OS4.x Classic experience in quite a long time (classic hardware still stored since we moved house), and my first time with 4.1 Classic in particular, I'm nto sure what I'd expect on my CSPPC during installation. While I selected PicassoIV and all that, my post-install boots kept coming up very ugly, and Screenmode prefs had no PicassoIV choices. I eventually realized that I needed to use P96mode to bind and create some PicassoIV modes, which seems to have worked out well. I have a 1280x720 for now, and have also had it up at 1920x1080 for a test.

I am now trying to work my way up the OS4.1 update chain. The Classic CD is of course Update 2 by itself. I have applied update3. I'm doing this by quitting out of WinUAE each time, making full copy of HDF file, making new UAE config to point to the new copy, boot up, unpack and isntall, etc.

Working on Update 4, it installed the basic update. Then I said yes to RuninUAE as well but the install of that crashed/gurued. That may or may not be due to PearPC CPU implementation, and I may have to wait for Qemu CPU before I can proceed.

Also, if I make a direct copy of my workign Update 3 HDF in the Windows Host, and make a new UAE config to use that instead of the original copy (same file still), on booting the UAE emu sometimes all I get is a red GURU. How do I tell what is happening here? (Update 3 HDF before I ran the update did the same thing, but I eventually got the planet aligned and it just worked at some point)

Has anyone else got further than this?

I wish I could find my stack of CDs and such to try more than just an OS. Though I do intend to do SDK and other stuff I can download as soon as I get to the end of my OS trail for now.
Old 05 September 2014, 07:47   #271
amigafreak68k

Could you please ask this question in the AOS 4.o Classic Guide Thread? I think, this is better to find for other users.
Old 05 September 2014, 09:05   #272
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

OS4 boots now with QEMU core. It seems to be faster, at least previously really slow boot logo fade took only 1 second which at least confirms working JIT, boot (adf+cd) from color flashing to installation selection took about 1 minute.

QEMU currently runs in separate thread even when m68k is stopped = io serialiation probably is big bottleneck when non-m68k OS is actually running.

Still more work to do... Generic mapping of UAE memory to QEMU memory "API" is not that simple.
Old 05 September 2014, 09:16   #273
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigafreak68k View Post
Could you please ask this question in the AOS 4.o Classic Guide Thread? I think, this is better to find for other users.
WinUAE has a problem with my hardfile, which I already mentioned in that thread. I'm still waiting for a response.
Old 05 September 2014, 11:21   #274
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B14ck W01f View Post
WinUAE has a problem with my hardfile, which I already mentioned in that thread. I'm still waiting for a response.
What kind of problems you have, you set the Hardile as "HD IDE Controller"

Old 05 September 2014, 11:38   #275
amigafreak68k

Quote:
OS4 boots now with QEMU core.
I think here are many users to test this thing
Old 05 September 2014, 11:46   #276
nikos.rizos

YES!

Great news!
Looking forward for a new beta to test this.

Quote:
OS4 boots now with QEMU core. It seems to be faster, at least previously really slow boot logo fade took only 1 second which at least confirms working JIT, boot (adf+cd) from color flashing to installation selection took about 1 minute.

QEMU currently runs in separate thread even when m68k is stopped = io serialiation probably is big bottleneck when non-m68k OS is actually running.

Still more work to do... Generic mapping of UAE memory to QEMU memory "API" is not that simple.
Old 05 September 2014, 11:56   #277
BinoX
Miggy Man

Quote:
I'm not actually sure why that is tbh... I've been investigating, but I don't seem to be able to replicate your issue...

Mine also has an "E" when the emulation is running...

Post a screenshot of what your HD Toolbox looks like when the button is greyed out in the other thread... It might give me a hint
Old 05 September 2014, 15:47   #278
Rotzloeffel

Quote:

RESPECT ! You rock Toni!
Old 05 September 2014, 16:17   #279
themamboman

Will there be a day when the PowerPC side will be able to use the UAE graphics adapter and mounted windows directories?

It's awesome as it is now, just curious if I'll be able to have 1920x1200 workbench again.
Old 05 September 2014, 17:59   #280
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themamboman View Post
Will there be a day when the PowerPC side will be able to use the UAE graphics adapter and mounted windows directories?

It's awesome as it is now, just curious if I'll be able to have 1920x1200 workbench again.
If someone else does it or explains exactly what is needed to get those things working under built-in 68k emulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
RESPECT ! You rock Toni!
Perhaps but it would have never happened this quickly without help from Frode.

Quote:
I am quite sure WinUAE has no problems. Usual problem is mismatched KS ROM and hardware setup (for example A1200 KS ROM and A4000 hardware config or vice versa)