English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 May 2021, 14:58   #121
E-Penguin
Banana

Anybody know if romsplit / remus is getting an update, for those wanting to make a custom ROM?
Old 15 May 2021, 15:16   #122
kriz

I am waiting for the digital files, with shipping we are talking around 50-60Euros + taxes..
Old 15 May 2021, 15:20   #123
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Sadly I have a very plain A4000D with A3660. Considering how prohibitively expensive a Cyberstorm Mk. III / PPC or a WarpEngine is these days, I don't see myself owning one of these any time soon

Any plans to switch to a 2MB ROM in the future? I think that is kinda inevitable considering that it's already full to the brim

Thanks for your reply, which brings me to my next (and hopefully last) question - can the 3.2 ROMs boot from Superfloppies? (ZIP, LS120, Jaz, etc.) That would be awesome and solve my issue
There are no plans to switch to a bigger ROM in the future.

And regarding Superfloppies, nothing is new in this regard since 3.1.4. You may find this particular subject described in sections 2.11 and 2.12 of the AmigaOS 3.2 FAQ.
Old 15 May 2021, 15:34   #124
utri007
mä vaan

I ques this will make amiga unbootable, without a OS3.2 rom modules and libraries available? KS3.2 and Deluxe Paint II floppy, does it boot to wb and allow start DP II?
Old 15 May 2021, 15:57   #125
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Is it correct that the developers are not being compensated for their work here? That the development receives no funding from Hyperion AND that no percentages of sales are offered to the developers?
Much of it is reinvested in further AmigaOS development. Eg. the rights to ReAction were purchased.

Last edited by Minuous; 15 May 2021 at 17:58.
Old 15 May 2021, 17:14   #126
theq
Registerdeaded abUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I ques this will make amiga unbootable, without a OS3.2 rom modules and libraries available? KS3.2 and Deluxe Paint II floppy, does it boot to wb and allow start DP II?
You will need a floppy with the missing .library-files such as workbench.library and icon.library (in which both are located on the Install floppy).
Old 15 May 2021, 17:23   #127
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Of course I think so. Why would you assume that I don't? I don't understand why you think the tone of your post is justified by the content in my post?
I am deeply sorry. It wasn't my intention to offend you.

We had lots of hypocritical sounding statements about us poor devs in the past, followed by those accusing us of...whatever. Your post just rang a note over here it, causing a deja vu.
Old 15 May 2021, 17:32   #128

1.Does the additional reboot still exist?
2.How does scsi.device get patched on say something like the cd32 - Loadmodule?
Old 15 May 2021, 17:35   #129
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by theq View Post
You will need a floppy with the missing .library-files such as workbench.library and icon.library (in which both are located on the Install floppy).
It should pick them up from hard drive, no?
Old 15 May 2021, 17:40   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Look like it cant see anything in 3.2 docs but for 3.14 yep

https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=36

Last edited by 512k; 15 May 2021 at 17:46. Reason: Updated Post
Old 15 May 2021, 17:43   #131
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Yes, and since AmigaOS requires a hard drive I don't see the issue.
This worked well for 3.1.4 and it is the same on 3.2.
Old 15 May 2021, 17:47   #132
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512k View Post
1.Does the additional reboot still exist?
2.How does scsi.device get patched on say something like the cd32 - Loadmodule?
LoadModule is still in charge of loading modules and rebooting when a newer ROM does not exist.

You can find it on Aminet, it is the same version as integrated within 3.2.
So you can easily grab it and read its docs.
Old 15 May 2021, 19:10   #133
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
There are no plans to switch to a bigger ROM in the future.

And regarding Superfloppies, nothing is new in this regard since 3.1.4. You may find this particular subject described in sections 2.11 and 2.12 of the AmigaOS 3.2 FAQ.
I THINK what he is asking about the super drives is if he make it a 3.2 boot disk and have the installation files copied to it. I think his goal is to make a single super drive disk be all he needs to boot to the installation environment that the normal boot floppy does and to be able to continue the installation from the same super disk.

If I am misrepresenting his question, sorry, but this idea is interesting as an optional method to install on a machine without a CD for some reason but has a super drive and not have to use a bunch of floppies.

With the total of 35 floppies on the CD plus the extras, I would think that any of the super drive disks would be able to hold all of the files I mean that the amount of data on the 3.2 CD wouldn't be more than the 100 or 120MB of the super drive disks.

Would something like this be possible for a user to set up or is this simply a "What if" idea that is a non starter?
Old 15 May 2021, 20:40   #134
kamelito
Zone Friend

Your order has been completed sucessfully
Thanks to all involved in this release!
Old 15 May 2021, 21:03   #135
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Hyperion reseller links must be checked, some lead to non-existing (or unavailable) websites.
Old 15 May 2021, 21:06   #136
kamelito
Zone Friend

+1
Old 15 May 2021, 21:20   #137
Dunny

Is it just a physical CD, or can you opt to buy an ISO image file?
Old 15 May 2021, 23:18   #138
saimo

Thank you for the hard work and congratulations on the achievement! I'll probably buy the digital version and maybe the physical ROMs (to replace AmigaOS 3.9 on my A1200 equipped with 3.1 ROMs) once available.
In particular, I appreciate the debugged and more "unified" system, the new Intuition and ReAction.
I'd like to ask the following questions. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Q1 - Modules for systems that don't have the 3.2 ROMs

How is System-module loaded?

Currently I load battmem.resource, misc.resource and potgo.resource: are they still needed?

Q2 - scsi.device and IDE CF adapter

To get the maximum performance out of my IDE CF adapter, I'm using scsi.device 43.45 + IDEFix 199.19 (i.e. IDEFix patched with the IDEFix_patches): do you know if there are issues with the new scsi.device and/or whether IDEFix is still needed?

Q3 - SetPatch

The FAQ says "[SetPatch] doesn't just load the corresponding CPU libraries and builds MMU tables": can the user decide to leave the MMU unused?

Does SetPatch have a QUIET option? (Just wondering, not really important.)

Q4 - Patches

The following patches are not mentioned in the FAQ: is any of them no longer needed or known to cause trouble?
CopyMemAIO, TagLiFE, FPPrefs, PatchInterleaved, WinSpeed

Q5 - Context-sensitive pointer

If one changes/removes Pointer.prefs to disable the dynamic changing of the pointer, does Intuition keep on checking what the pointer is hovering on?

Q6 - Shell auto-completion

What happens if TAB is pressed without any character having been entered first? (Yes, I'm thinking of KingCON's feature of opening a file requester.)

Q7 - Shell commands

I've been using AmigaOS 3.9 and 4.x for so long that I no longer remember the behaviour of the commands included in the previous versions (in fact, I've been surprised to see the SORT option added to List or FORCE added to Copy: those were a given to me - well done, of course!), but the fact that Eval interprets ^ as binary xor doesn't sound right: the Eval I have here uses ^ for the power operator; maybe I'm using an unofficial replacement and I can't even remember that? The version is 45.2 (05/06/01).

More in general, are the updated commands meant to be 100% compatible with the previous ones? For example, it was a bad surprise when I found out that Join from AmigaOS 4.x does not sort the input files when they are indicated by means of wildcards.

WBLoad: is this equivalent to WBRun (which opens a file as if it were opened from Workbench)? If not, does WBRun still work?

Q8 - DefIcons

Has the core engine been improved and how?

Q9 - Localization

Is it still possible to use the system without catalogs?

Q10 - icon.library

Is icon.library new and how does it compare to this replacement library?

Q11 - Initial startup operations

On my AmigaOS 3.9 system, SetPatch resets the machine once at boot. I see that MoveLow resets the machine as well and that, from the currently available documentation, it does not have a NOREBOOT flag: does this mean that the machine will reboot twice?

What't the best order?
a) MoveLow, LoadModule, SetPatch
b) LoadModule, MoveLow, SetPatch
c) LoadModule, SetPatch, MoveLow

If System-module is to be loaded from the startup-sequence, where should it go?

Q12 - Workbench title bar

Can it be hidden?

Q13 - Performance

Are there speed and/or memory improvements? How does 3.2 compare to 3.9 in this regard?

Last edited by saimo; 22 May 2021 at 20:35.
Old 16 May 2021, 00:06   #139
slaapliedje

I skimmed through bits of the FAQ, but didn't see for sure. But does this finally allow booting from a CD? Seems it'd be useful to be able to make a custom bootable CD for some things for sure. Pretty sure 4.1 Classic has the ability, as long as the ROM from it is loaded into memory.
Old 16 May 2021, 00:34   #140
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I am part of the team that made this new OS and I am an Amiga fan. Nothing else.

I am not in charge of sales, nor distribution, nor have any monetary incentive involved. Please ask the corresponding entities for such details or lack thereof. I can only answer what I know of.
No problem. I didn't expect you to know for certain. Just hoping you or someone else might have more insight in that I guess. But will ask Hyperion about it.

Just seems a bit silly to not offer the cd as a download if that's the case. I can only speak for myself, but apart from my CD32 I don't own a computer with a cd-rom attached, amigas or otherwise. So a physical CD is pretty much useless to me.