English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 December 2021, 08:25   #1
M4tus

A500+ Black Screen!

Hello everyone!
This is my first time posting here, sorry for bad formatting

Last year i purchased a Commodore Amiga 500+. The only problems it had was the floppy drive didn't work well. I dissasembled the machine, cleaned the corrosion and replaced the floppy drive power cable. It worked well. I've moved out and amiga suddenly stopped working. No video, black screen, floppy not responding.

What i have done and what do i know now
- Fat Agnus, CPU, Paula, Denise are hot. ODD CIA, EVEN CIA, Gary and ROM are cold
- Replaced leaked battery, no results
- Power supply is fine
- not sure what does "High" mean, but _RST, _HLT and KB PIN 3 are 5 volts. (Seen it from this post https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91272, when i was doing some research, i'm a complete noob at this, sorry!)
- Capslock works, Keyboard Power on LED works, even CTRL+AMIGA+AMIGA works
- Monitor/TV detects the signal

I have no idea what to do next. I want to get this computer fixed so any help is appreciated!
Old 08 December 2021, 19:22   #2
Vypr

What does the Power LED do? Normal startup is to go from dim to bright. If it stays dim then the system is doning a full pwoer on.
You might also want to check for corrosion in the Gary socket, if you've got a multimeter with acontinmuity tester you can check the lines from Gary. A good resource is http://amigapcb.org to show where the traces connect to..

IOn an A500_+ that has suffered battery leakage the most common fault is corrosion eating away traces on Gary and in some cases corroding the pins in the socket so badly they no longer make a connection.
Old 08 December 2021, 23:49   #3
Jpor
Banned

Check out SHG YouTube channel. Stu has been fixing a couple of A500 and A500+ machines.
It may enlighten you to where to look;

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 December 2021, 08:55   #4
M4tus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypr View Post
What does the Power LED do? Normal startup is to go from dim to bright. If it stays dim then the system is doning a full pwoer on.
Looks like it stays dim, stays one color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypr View Post
You might also want to check for corrosion in the Gary socket, if you've got a multimeter with acontinmuity tester you can check the lines from Gary. A good resource is http://amigapcb.org to show where the traces connect to..
All traces are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
Check out SHG YouTube channel. Stu has been fixing a couple of A500 and A500+ machines.
It may enlighten you to where to look;

[ Show youtube player ]
Thanks! will take a look.
Old 03 February 2022, 08:44   #5
M4tus

GARY chip is fine. What should i do next ?
Old 21 August 2022, 22:04   #6
M4tus

Hello!

I've managed to find the problem, it was R102 that wasn't making any connection to the CPU. But i've got a different problem. I've bought a DiagROM and when i boot the amiga with it, I get green screen with red flashes, which is related to chipmem errrors. I replaced and socketed all data path chips (both 244 and 373), is it possible that a bad trace could affect it ? or is it just related to chipmem ?