English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 March 2002, 20:23   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Scanlines

Does anyone know why the scanlines in the latest version of WinUAE look so terrible? They make the screen look all blocky rather than like a TV. Every 5-ish line sticks out like a sore thumb instead of the continous line effect you get with Winfellow. Are there any options I should be tweaking to get this right?
Old 18 March 2002, 21:09   #2
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I noticed this too when I first downloaded the new WINUAE.
After I downloaded the config files from ALE and started using them, the problem was solved. These configs also seem to make more games work aswell.

ale.emuunlim.com
Old 18 March 2002, 21:10   #3
kafiend

Possibly a total and utter shot in the dark but...maybe your Monitor refresh rate could be involved?

Only logical thinking, nothing technical as I thnk scanlines are a silly option.

Why would I want my emulated Amiga to look like it was running on a TV when all I ever wanted when I ran a real Amiga was to run it on a monitor cos the TV picture was crap?

Old 18 March 2002, 21:31   #4
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the config files in a second.

kafiend - have you seen the scanline effect in Winfellow? That looks great IMO. Without them the picture is very blocky and ugly. The effect somehow manages to transform dated graphics into more modern and sophisticated looking ones. I expect the anti-aliasing in Winfellow is also playing its part but still...

Try flicking between the two emus and you'll see what I mean. Winfellow is far superior in the graphics department.

If it wasn't for the lack of a save state option in Winfellow I'd chuck UAE in the bin right now. Just when you think you've tweaked it to perfection something else goes wrong. It's like a faulty TV which will only display a picture or provide you with clear sound but never both at the same time. I'm seriously thinking about giving up and then coming back to it in six months time to see if the next version is any better.

I think the problem has something to do with the 'correct aspect ratio' option more than anything. If you turn that off sometimes the problem is fixed but then something else screws up, like the picture will disappear off the edge of the screen. The thing is it's so difficult to diagnose a problem because changing the options back and forth doesn't seem to produce consistent results as you would expect.

Sorry to whinge about a free program but I'm getting to the end of my tether with this.
Old 18 March 2002, 21:58   #5
kafiend

Okies, i'll give it a try
Old 15 April 2002, 02:09   #6
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
The 1st thing that comes to mind is set correct ratio aspect to off that fixed it for me!

(You can still use Center H & V etc)
Old 15 April 2002, 02:18   #7
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Sorry Echostryker didn't see your detailed reply at least didn't read it all.

Anyway as i said turning off aspect ratio will fix the prob of ugly scanlines maybe it brings new problems but is the best that can be done!

Also Some games will look better in NTSC as they are made for that (ie PGA golf 1 in a thousand examples) if you know the game is NTSC run it in that with scanlines, If pal then Run PAL with scanlines i know obvious things but u have to remeber Winuae is a multiresolution programme on a PC monitor it wasn't really made for or the computer it's emulating at anyrate!

Oh yeah i have Tried Save State on Meglomania HD version however when i restore my game it F***s up with in a couple of seconds!
Old 15 April 2002, 08:46   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Oh yeah i have Tried Save State on Meglomania HD version however when i restore my game it F***s up with in a couple of seconds!
Save state feature does not support filesystems, Picasso96, uaescsi.device or bsdsocket emulation. (Basically every expansion feature that works as a "bridge" between emulated Amiga and host system is not supported)
Old 16 April 2002, 12:02   #9
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for the tip sarek2k. I'll give that a try. I'm very close to getting a real Miggy 1200 so I might not need emulators for much longer anyway.